Life And Death Of An Anti-impalement Activist

Go to CruxDreams.com
I really like this. The legal-political wrangling and complications are all very plausible, without going in too much depth. I think it's just the perfect amount of info. Very nice touch.

I have a slight quibble with Anjali's reaction. Sensitive and conscientious soul that she is, I think it would weigh on her that she had killed a person. Certainly she would see it as a mercy killing, but rather than being proud and satisfied that she had done it, I think she would be angry and saddened at the injustice that had driven her to it.

Also, on my screen, the type is black on a black background, which makes it a little difficult to read. Is there any way to change that?
On my screen also.
Image1.jpg
I fix it.

The extradition battle that followed was an odd mix of constitutional debate, legal confusion, and campaign spin war, resulting in all the publicity Anjali had hoped for. Half a dozen attorneys offered their services to Anjali pro bono, and the debate raged in the courtroom, in newsrooms, and online for weeks.

Anjali’s case was unique, because almost no citizen of Chakrabesh had ever committed a serious offense in the provinces that did not violate Chakrabeshi law as well. Her attorneys made a strong case that shooting the woman about to be impaled would be classified as an “act of mercy” under Chakrabeshi law, and therefore could not be considered murder. On the second charge, prevention of justice, she was again not guilty, because the capital did not recognize impalement as a legal form of punishment.

Under normal circumstances, these arguments would be immaterial, because the Provinces were sovereign over their own citizens, and the capital had no right to interfere with provincial justice. But Anjali was now a citizen of Chakrabesh, and claimed asylum from the city against her prosecutors. Whether Anjali could claim asylum hinged primarily on a given judge’s interpretation of the Rajistani constitution.

Anjali hardly cared about the outcome. She proudly walked the streets of the capital each day, a deep smile of satisfaction behind whatever other expression she wore. Each week, more and more people recognized her, stopped to shake her hand, asked for a selfie, asked for an autograph, or bought her coffee. She was winning. She could feel it.

I looked online for any similarity to this story that has occurred in Rajasthan, there is a reference to people of the lower-caste Dalit clan being victimised for daring to claim land-rights as allowed in Indian National law.
Men of the higher-caste Jat people had murdered Dalits by beatings and by driving tractors over them. Their women were discouraged from interfering with the treat of having wooden sticks thrust into their private parts. So the latter is in a sense Impaling.

I really like this. The legal-political wrangling and complications are all very plausible, without going in too much depth. I think it's just the perfect amount of info. Very nice touch.

I have a slight quibble with Anjali's reaction. Sensitive and conscientious soul that she is, I think it would weigh on her that she had killed a person. Certainly she would see it as a mercy killing, but rather than being proud and satisfied that she had done it, I think she would be angry and saddened at the injustice that had driven her to it.

Also, on my screen, the type is black on a black background, which makes it a little difficult to read. Is there any way to change that?
Thanks for sticking with me, Jon! :) As for Anjali’s character, she’s more driven than anything. My description at the end of that last part wasn’t quite right, because it’s not like she’s just bee-bopping around. It’s a very grim satisfaction that she’s making progress as one woman challenging the entire power structure of her nation. People are paying attention. She’s poked the Beast in the eye. She may pay for it with her life (who knows?? ;)) but she knows she’s doing the right thing, and even better, she knows she’s driving some powerful people crazy. They have to listen now, and she’s confident they will be shown for the slime-balls they are.

That’s what I was trying to say. :) As another small note - I wouldn’t say she’s really such a tender hearted soul. Obviously she has a heart. But even stronger than the “sob story” to her is the indignation and sense of injustice. People have turned a blind eye and let this happen. And they’re all guilty! That makes her mad, and it DRIVES her with a very focused passion.

I apologize I haven’t more accurately portrayed the character in my head. Thanks for reading anyway. :)

I looked online for any similarity to this story that has occurred in Rajasthan, there is a reference to people of the lower-caste Dalit clan being victimised for daring to claim land-rights as allowed in Indian National law.
Men of the higher-caste Jat people had murdered Dalits by beatings and by driving tractors over them. Their women were discouraged from interfering with the treat of having wooden sticks thrust into their private parts. So the latter is in a sense Impaling.
Wow - didn’t know there was a real place called Rajasthan! :cool: I would have named my fake country something else. Thanks for the research!

Thanks for sticking with me, Jon! :) As for Anjali’s character, she’s more driven than anything. My description at the end of that last part wasn’t quite right, because it’s not like she’s just bee-bopping around. It’s a very grim satisfaction that she’s making progress as one woman challenging the entire power structure of her nation. People are paying attention. She’s poked the Beast in the eye. She may pay for it with her life (who knows?? ;)) but she knows she’s doing the right thing, and even better, she knows she’s driving some powerful people crazy. They have to listen now, and she’s confident they will be shown for the slime-balls they are.

That’s what I was trying to say. :) As another small note - I wouldn’t say she’s really such a tender hearted soul. Obviously she has a heart. But even stronger than the “sob story” to her is the indignation and sense of injustice. People have turned a blind eye and let this happen. And they’re all guilty! That makes her mad, and it DRIVES her with a very focused passion.

I apologize I haven’t more accurately portrayed the character in my head. Thanks for reading anyway. :)
I kinda regretted posting my "quibble" about Anjali's character. I think I'm projecting my personal preference as to what I want her character to be. I think you've described her very well as being passionate and driven. I look forward to reading more of the legal-political maneuverings and (I assume) Anjali's eventual trial. Though I am dreading (again, what I assume) will be her punishment.:eek: I am hopeful though. Perhaps the authorities in their infinite mercy will sentence her only to a "partial" impalement. (Personal preference again. ;))

caprice7.JPGcaprice4.JPG

Here are a few photos of women and girls in Rajasthan for your delight and enlightenment.3-traditionaldressofrajasthan_www.whyoffashion.com_.jpg4.-rajasthani-style-outfits-for-girls-7.jpg5-rajasthani-paintings.preview.jpg

Attachments

• 12-rajasthani-paintings.preview.jpg
    12-rajasthani-paintings.preview.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 139
  • 18_RAJASTHAN_38.jpg
    18_RAJASTHAN_38.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 130
  • 6025181-pushkar-india-november-21-rajasthani-girls-are-preparing-to-dance-perfomance-at-annual...jpg
    6025181-pushkar-india-november-21-rajasthani-girls-are-preparing-to-dance-perfomance-at-annual...jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 119
  • 7418645-an-unidentified-group-of-girls-in-colorful-ethnic-attire-attends-at-the-pushkar-fair-p...jpg
    7418645-an-unidentified-group-of-girls-in-colorful-ethnic-attire-attends-at-the-pushkar-fair-p...jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 122
  • 32831341-girl-in-traditional-dress-taking-part-in-desert-festival-jaisalmer-rajasthan-india.jpg
    32831341-girl-in-traditional-dress-taking-part-in-desert-festival-jaisalmer-rajasthan-india.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 112
  • 43187436-jaisalmer-india--feb-03-2015-unidentified-tribal-woman-dressed-up-in-traditional-raja...jpg
    43187436-jaisalmer-india--feb-03-2015-unidentified-tribal-woman-dressed-up-in-traditional-raja...jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 109
Now for overkill, or maybe that's the wrong word in view of your story-line.girls-in-traditional-jewellery-and-rajasthani-costume-having-chat-ET0PEJ.jpg

Attachments

• girls-in-traditional-jewellery-and-rajasthani-costume-looking-at-camera-ET0PEF.jpg
    girls-in-traditional-jewellery-and-rajasthani-costume-looking-at-camera-ET0PEF.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 103
  • JAI Jaipur - women in colourful traditional dress at Choti Chaupar Circle 3008x2000.jpg
    JAI Jaipur - women in colourful traditional dress at Choti Chaupar Circle 3008x2000.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 95
  • jaisalmer-woman-2.jpg
    jaisalmer-woman-2.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 93
  • Women_in_Rajasthani_dress.jpg
    Women_in_Rajasthani_dress.jpg
    479 KB · Views: 88
  • women_in_rajasthani_dress_by_radwaaskar-d5donmf.jpg
    women_in_rajasthani_dress_by_radwaaskar-d5donmf.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 92
  • women-in-traditional-rajasthani-costume-pushkar-ajmer-rajasthan-india-b9dnnd.jpg
    women-in-traditional-rajasthani-costume-pushkar-ajmer-rajasthan-india-b9dnnd.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 104
Maybe Anjali looks like this young lady.
bollywood_steampunk__sand_rider_by_makeupsiren_d7ap3ej-pre.jpgbollywood_steampunk__sand_rider_by_makeupsiren_d7atan9-pre.jpg

Attachments

• bollywood_steampunk__sand_rider_by_makeupsiren_d7atbds-pre.jpg
    bollywood_steampunk__sand_rider_by_makeupsiren_d7atbds-pre.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 93
  • bollywood_steampunk__lady_sunahala__registana__by_makeupsiren_d5w6oos-fullview.jpg
    bollywood_steampunk__lady_sunahala__registana__by_makeupsiren_d5w6oos-fullview.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 89
  • bollywood_steampunk__lady_sunahala_registana__by_makeupsiren_d5w6mcy-fullview.jpg
    bollywood_steampunk__lady_sunahala_registana__by_makeupsiren_d5w6mcy-fullview.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 94
  • bollywood_steampunk__lady_sunahala_registana__by_makeupsiren_d5w6n9w-fullview.jpg
    bollywood_steampunk__lady_sunahala_registana__by_makeupsiren_d5w6n9w-fullview.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 133
I kinda regretted posting my "quibble" about Anjali's character. I think I'm projecting my personal preference as to what I want her character to be. I think you've described her very well as being passionate and driven. I look forward to reading more of the legal-political maneuverings and (I assume) Anjali's eventual trial. Though I am dreading (again, what I assume) will be her punishment.:eek: I am hopeful though. Perhaps the authorities in their infinite mercy will sentence her only to a "partial" impalement. (Personal preference again. ;))

View attachment 672503View attachment 672502
Love that pic :)

The donations were pouring in, too, and Anjali had rented her own apartment again, much to Sanjeev’s secret chagrin. After just a couple months, she was scheduling weekly demonstrations. With the ineluctable hate mail she received, she also got many calls for her to run for political office. Neither of the main political parties were satisfactory to her core supporters, though of course most who gave her casual support considered the incumbent Mr Patel to be preferable.

Anjali was even toying with the idea, as the letters poured in, the court case ascended the ladder of appeals, and the election began to look promising for Patel - when, one morning, Anjali woke up to see the headline on her phone: “Actress Claims Batra is a Fraud.” She opened it; normally, an actress opposing her would not be the top story of the day. What she saw enraged her. A woman was claiming to be an actress paid by Prime Minister Patel’s party to play the role of the woman Anjali had shot. It was all an elaborate hoax! she said. The scene had been set up to sway the election, and it was working. The woman did bear a striking resemblance to the poor woman Anjali had watched strip naked in the village that day.

“I kept quiet for a long time, because that was part of my contract. I needed the money, so I did it. But then I realized what I had done - what I had participated in! And I just can’t stay silent anymore. I had to tell the truth.”

Anjali had tears in her eyes by the time she had finished reading.

“Now we see what this was all about!” declaimed the challenger, Mr Varesh. “Now we see it, don’t we. Nothing is as it seems in this government! It’s time for a change!”

Mr Patel appeared genuinely outraged when he was interviewed later. (It was the first time Anjali could remember seeing him appear genuinely anything.) “This is a disgraceful day for Rajistan!” he roared, in his thin, small voice. He was much better with the smoother buts if politics. “If this were true, don’t you think I would have thought to get a non-disclosure? Wouldn’t I be suing this actress for breach of contract?! As it is, the lawsuit will be for libel only!”

Anjali didn’t feel sorry for Patel. But the endlessness of the sea of lies she found herself swirling in with him brought her to tears many times over the next two days.

Friendly people on the street were less friendly. Hostile people were moreso. One afternoon she was shoved to the ground and had her shoes taken by a trio of young ruffians. The street was full, and a middle-aged couple awkwardly helped her up when it was over, but nobody had lifted a hand to defend her.

Of course Sanjeev had thundered in his small way about the incident all that night, and what he would have done to the ruffians had he been there.

The donations slowed, too. Anjali was once again facing a life of homelessness, which in practice meant living with Sanjeev again. He had never done anything inappropriate, but she still preferred not to be dependent on him.

The donations were pouring in, too, and Anjali had rented her own apartment again, much to Sanjeev’s secret chagrin. After just a couple months, she was scheduling weekly demonstrations. With the ineluctable hate mail she received, she also got many calls for her to run for political office. Neither of the main political parties were satisfactory to her core supporters, though of course most who gave her casual support considered the incumbent Mr Patel to be preferable.

Anjali was even toying with the idea, as the letters poured in, the court case ascended the ladder of appeals, and the election began to look promising for Patel - when, one morning, Anjali woke up to see the headline on her phone: “Actress Claims Batra is a Fraud.” She opened it; normally, an actress opposing her would not be the top story of the day. What she saw enraged her. A woman was claiming to be an actress paid by Prime Minister Patel’s party to play the role of the woman Anjali had shot. It was all an elaborate hoax! she said. The scene had been set up to sway the election, and it was working. The woman did bear a striking resemblance to the poor woman Anjali had watched strip naked in the village that day.

“I kept quiet for a long time, because that was part of my contract. I needed the money, so I did it. But then I realized what I had done - what I had participated in! And I just can’t stay silent anymore. I had to tell the truth.”

Anjali had tears in her eyes by the time she had finished reading.

“Now we see what this was all about!” declaimed the challenger, Mr Varesh. “Now we see it, don’t we. Nothing is as it seems in this government! It’s time for a change!”

Mr Patel appeared genuinely outraged when he was interviewed later. (It was the first time Anjali could remember seeing him appear genuinely anything.) “This is a disgraceful day for Rajistan!” he roared, in his thin, small voice. He was much better with the smoother buts if politics. “If this were true, don’t you think I would have thought to get a non-disclosure? Wouldn’t I be suing this actress for breach of contract?! As it is, the lawsuit will be for libel only!”

Anjali didn’t feel sorry for Patel. But the endlessness of the sea of lies she found herself swirling in with him brought her to tears many times over the next two days.

Friendly people on the street were less friendly. Hostile people were moreso. One afternoon she was shoved to the ground and had her shoes taken by a trio of young ruffians. The street was full, and a middle-aged couple awkwardly helped her up when it was over, but nobody had lifted a hand to defend her.

Of course Sanjeev had thundered in his small way about the incident all that night, and what he would have done to the ruffians had he been there.

The donations slowed, too. Anjali was once again facing a life of homelessness, which in practice meant living with Sanjeev again. He had never done anything inappropriate, but she still preferred not to be dependent on him.
Please continue this story

Back
Top Bottom