Manipulations by Hammers

Go to CruxDreams.com
I see that paint.net is capable of layers.
I did not know that - obviously more sophisticated than basic 'Paint' - I will have to have a look at this!
Bob, I've been playing with this cross that you posted some time ago. I may eventually post some of the results. I always feel a bit funny about creating manips that use the work of other manip artists. :oops: It seems lazy.
I will look forward to seeing your results, Phlebas.
Don't worry about using my components - everybody else does.
But I know what you mean about preferring to make the effort with original material. ;)

As CF members can easily realize this is a manipulation of a composition by the acclaimed Artist Damian:View attachment 678047

Whoa.

Well damn done, hammers. You’re good and getting better, and I’m stealing this one for another thread. ;)

Attachments

• A04B275B-A25B-49CC-A784-E4330212659A.jpeg
    A04B275B-A25B-49CC-A784-E4330212659A.jpeg
    166.1 KB · Views: 235
  • 80FEF219-DA49-42DA-8A81-769178B12889.jpeg
    80FEF219-DA49-42DA-8A81-769178B12889.jpeg
    243.6 KB · Views: 249
Whoa.

Well damn done, hammers. You’re good and getting better, and I’m stealing this one for another thread. ;)

I like your new illustration which,beside the new figures, includes additional particulars like the White cloth at the feet of the crucified figure on the left, the neat restyling of the background buildings,etc. It will be inserted among my favourites in
my Archive. Thank you for encouraging my work and compliments!!
from
HAMMERS

I like your new illustration which,beside the new figures, includes additional particulars like the White cloth at the feet of the crucified figure on the left, the neat restyling of the background buildings,etc. It will be inserted among my favourites in
my Archive. Thank you for encouraging my work and compliments!!
from
HAMMERS

Eek! That’s not mine!

Hammers, your welcome to any compliments and encouragement, but what I posted was classic Damian. He’s been doing manipulations like this since 2000.

Click the Search button above and look him up. His work is all over CF.

Attachments

• BEFC6997-97E0-4AF5-BEDE-B588B2007538.jpeg
    BEFC6997-97E0-4AF5-BEDE-B588B2007538.jpeg
    694.9 KB · Views: 210
  • B662A041-D29B-42C3-A07D-18EF23372A5D.jpeg
    B662A041-D29B-42C3-A07D-18EF23372A5D.jpeg
    295.2 KB · Views: 194
  • D6E34C06-E388-4F6E-B89B-24B58DABAD0D.jpeg
    D6E34C06-E388-4F6E-B89B-24B58DABAD0D.jpeg
    402.7 KB · Views: 198
  • EBECDC99-ACFF-4DC3-931E-70A6CAFB9889.jpeg
    EBECDC99-ACFF-4DC3-931E-70A6CAFB9889.jpeg
    289.6 KB · Views: 245
Eek! That’s not mine!

Hammers, your welcome to any compliments and encouragement, but what I posted was classic Damian. He’s been doing manipulations like this since 2000.

Click the Search button above and look him up. His work is all over CF.

I was too instinctive, but this is not an excuse, in attributing to you ,at a first quick glance, the Damien's drawing which you
attached. (I was taken by the quality of details which obviously I had not fully in memory) Actually, I keep a little collection of Damien's work and sometimes (really not so often) I look over it again.
Characteristics of the late Master's (Damien) drawings are unmistakable and they should have led me to a second thought!!!

Characteristics of the late Master's (Damien) drawings are unmistakable
I think Damian is still producing his manipulations - at any rate he announced a new series recently. ;)
http://www.cruxforums.com/xf/threads/damians-publications-on-dofantasy-com.4983/post-422049

Thanks for taking up my suggestion of this background, Hammers.
You have turned it into another ambitious, multi-figure composition, and it certainly looks like a hard working day for the executioners, as your title indicates!

The Via Appia theme is interpreted convincingly, with four crucified figures lining the road.
I think a fifth one is about to join them, judging by the group you have cleverly inserted in the foreground.

The action is nicely blended with Poussin's existing figure, and the original, seated figure in the shade of the tree has been deleted very neatly.

Your modifications to the right hand crux figure, following Tree's advice, are very successful, and this figure is arguably the best one in the scene, in terms of scale, lighting and contrast.

The other figures present a good handling of scale, receding into the distance - perhaps the central figure is slightly large, and could be flipped horizontally to correct the lighting direction.

All of the inserted figures, except the right hand one, have higher contrast than the background painting (which admittedly has low contrast.) Lower contrast in the new components would provide better blending in this case. Alternatively, the background could be given higher contrast?

Meanwhile, this is a good result in 'Paint' and considering its limitations, I think you have done very well. :)

Last edited:
I think Damian is still producing his manipulations - at any rate he announced a new series recently. ;)
http://www.cruxforums.com/xf/threads/damians-publications-on-dofantasy-com.4983/post-422049

Thanks for taking up my suggestion of this background, Hammers.
You have turned it into another ambitious, multi-figure composition, and it certainly looks like a hard working day for the executioners, as your title indicates!

The Via Appia theme is interpreted convincingly, with four crucified figures lining the road.
I think a fifth one is about to join them, judging by the group you have cleverly inserted in the foreground.

The action is nicely blended with Poussin's existing figure, and the original, seated figure in the shade of the tree has been deleted very neatly.

Your modifications to the right hand crux figure, following Tree's advice, are very successful, and this figure is arguably the best one in the scene, in terms of scale, lighting and contrast.

The other figures present a good handling of scale, receding into the distance - perhaps the central figure is slightly large, and could be flipped horizontally to correct the lighting direction.

All of the inserted figures, except the right hand one, have higher contrast than the background painting (which admittedly has low contrast.) Lower contrast in the new components would provide better blending in this case. Alternatively, the background could be given higher contrast?

Meanwhile, this is a good result in 'Paint' and considering its limitations, I think you have done very well. :)

Well noted. I need more experience in light, shadow and contrast.

My apologies to Damian. I wish him a long happy life and inspirations for new amazing works!!
'Roman Cruelty and decadence 9' : I understand this being among his most recent productions. The subject of Ancient Rome
is among my favourites and Damian's work on this is always particularly appreciated by me.

Back
Top Bottom