Memorial Day

Go to CruxDreams.com

thehangingtree

Proconsul
Staff member
Monday is Memorial Day in the USA. Too many in United States don’t know what we are remembering.

In 1917 the US formally joined in what was then called The Great War. Its presence broke the stalemate at a cost of almost 120,000 troops.

Sixty-eight years ago on June 6, 1944 the allied forces landed in Normandy, France. The American forces alone lost more men in the first hour than were lost in the second Gulf War and Afghanistan combined. In February and March of 1945 in the battle for Iwo Jima 36,000 US Marines were killed or captured. In April 1945 the battle for Okinawa over 12,000 Americans would lose their lives to take the island for a launch base if the US chose to invade Japan.

A half dozen years after the end of WWII the Korean War broke out and more than 40,000 Americans lost their lives to keep South Korea free. In the ‘60’s we fought the Viet Nam war to keep South Viet Nam free. Historians now say after the 1968 Tet Offensive the US had militarily won the war but had lost it politically at home.

In 1990 the US led a coalition to free Kuwait and showed Saddam Hussein what the ‘Mother of All Wars” looks like.

There have been other wars and battles in between. But not since the Spanish-American War has this country gone to war to take territory.

World War One could have been ended by the US diplomatically demanding the sides sue for peace.

Prior to D-Day the US could have said “Hitler is ‘contained’” and left Europe in his control and let him slug it out with Stalin.

Before Iwo Jima and Okinawa the US could have said the same about Japan, especially with the knowledge the atomic bomb was nearly ready.

Instead the wars were fought to their conclusions and having learned its lessons from WWI instead of demanding reparations the US instituted the Marshall Plan and paid to rebuild its defeated foes and liberated friends alike.

One can debate the follies of war and the politics that surround them. But I am free to write this thought because of the many that fought for my freedom. And while we have a veterans day here in the US to remember those who fought and survived and Memorial Day is to remember those that fought and died, I’ll choose to remember them all, and pray for them and their loved ones…
Jim
AKA tree

Monday is Memorial Day in the USA. Too many in United States don’t know what we are remembering.

In 1917 the US formally joined in what was then called The Great War. Its presence broke the stalemate at a cost of almost 120,000 troops.

Sixty-eight years ago on June 6, 1944 the allied forces landed in Normandy, France. The American forces alone lost more men in the first hour than were lost in the second Gulf War and Afghanistan combined. In February and March of 1945 in the battle for Iwo Jima 36,000 US Marines were killed or captured. In April 1945 the battle for Okinawa over 12,000 Americans would lose their lives to take the island for a launch base if the US chose to invade Japan.

A half dozen years after the end of WWII the Korean War broke out and more than 40,000 Americans lost their lives to keep South Korea free. In the ‘60’s we fought the Viet Nam war to keep South Viet Nam free. Historians now say after the 1968 Tet Offensive the US had militarily won the war but had lost it politically at home.

In 1990 the US led a coalition to free Kuwait and showed Saddam Hussein what the ‘Mother of All Wars” looks like.

There have been other wars and battles in between. But not since the Spanish-American War has this country gone to war to take territory.

World War One could have been ended by the US diplomatically demanding the sides sue for peace.

Prior to D-Day the US could have said “Hitler is ‘contained’” and left Europe in his control and let him slug it out with Stalin.

Before Iwo Jima and Okinawa the US could have said the same about Japan, especially with the knowledge the atomic bomb was nearly ready.

Instead the wars were fought to their conclusions and having learned its lessons from WWI instead of demanding reparations the US instituted the Marshall Plan and paid to rebuild its defeated foes and liberated friends alike.

One can debate the follies of war and the politics that surround them. But I am free to write this thought because of the many that fought for my freedom. And while we have a veterans day here in the US to remember those who fought and survived and Memorial Day is to remember those that fought and died, I’ll choose to remember them all, and pray for them and their loved ones…
Jim
AKA tree

Thank you Tree! I belong to one of the defeatd Axis countries but we are still grateful for what America did to rebuild our country.

Hello The Hangingtree!

Thank you for your words! For me as german is the June 6, 1944 the "Beginning of the liberation" and the May 8, 1945 "The day of the liberation" from a terrible regime. The germans lost from July 20, 1944 (the day of the attempt on Hitler) till May 8, 1945 more humans and material then in the years 1939-1944 together.

I hope we will never have this.

arber1456

I’ll choose to remember them all, and pray for them and their loved ones…
Jim
AKA tree
thx old chap...............eeeuuuuuuuhhhhhhh Oak for this...... We in our country clebrated on 4 May the in WW II fallen persons and on 5 May the emancipation from nazi Gremany.
But in my country most of the youth didn't now exactly about what happened in that time, that's why nowadays we celebrated all the for that freedom fallen persons and on the 5TH of may the fact that we are Free and yes it is blurred now, and not alone in my country, that's why I like your words and as a free Dutch dank je wel, Merci, dankeusa.gif

Thanks for the kind replies but as a man who grew up in the 'home of the free and the brave' I never was called to make such sacrifices nor did I volunteer to. But many did give the ultimate sacrifice and always in lands (and sea and air) strange to them and for many the only reason was 'this is the right thing to do'.

Because of them I know a world of friends (that they would probably think are all nuts but would do it again for us).

tht

:rolleyes::oops::rolleyes:

Jim
AKA tree
Very well stated,please remember to thank a vet today,because without them freedom would be just a dream!

In America we Honor our fallen military on the last Monday of May. Parades, services at the cemetery's, cookouts and family get togethers . A time of remembrance. My father served in WW-2 and an uncle served on General Patton's staff.
Just thought I would tell this to those who don't know how much Americans sacrifice to keep freedom alive, God bless America and God bless all the freedom loving people. Remember, freedom isn't free. It comes at a terrible price.

In America we Honor our fallen military on the last Monday of May. Parades, services at the cemetery's, cookouts and family get togethers . A time of remembrance. My father served in WW-2 and an uncle served on General Patton's staff.
Just thought I would tell this to those who don't know how much Americans sacrifice to keep freedom alive, God bless America and God bless all the freedom loving people. Remember, freedom isn't free. It comes at a terrible price.
My father was a WW2 vet as well. 2 of his brothers also served, plus plenty of extended family members in the US military and Canadian Forces.

Jim
AKA tree
Thank you for that reminder. It's easy for those that haven't experienced personal loss from past wars to forget the sacrifices of those who didn't come home. So it's important to understand what this holiday means. Very well said, Tree.

For me. I'll be remembering a young man who died next to me on my aircraft on a dark day in February 1969 in South Vietnam.

Thank you for that reminder. It's easy for those that haven't experienced personal loss from past wars to forget the sacrifices of those who didn't come home. So it's important to understand what this holiday means. Very well said, Tree.

For me. I'll be remembering a young man who died next to me on my aircraft on a dark day in February 1969 in South Vietnam.
I will take a moment to remember W/O Danny T. Died piloting a Medivac chopper trying to save others.

Back
Top Bottom