Mesmerized by the Scimitar - A Dream of Islamic Imperialism & Slavery

Go to CruxDreams.com
It's been brought to my attention, by someone, how my fantasy is too revolting so I'm putting this whole thing on hiatus as I reconsider everything, including whether to continue writing at all, and if so, what. To those who were interested sorry for the disappointment. If I continue at all I'd have to scrap that first chapter and needless to say that's not particularly motivating.
What on this website isn't revolting to some people? As long as it's within site rules, you shouldn't let others stop you from writing what you want to write.

It's been brought to my attention, by someone, how my fantasy is too revolting
WHO TOLD YOU THIS? POINT THEM OUT TO ME, AND I WILL HAVE A WORD WITH THEM! :mad::mad::mad:
Death-028.jpg

Dear Serva, we do have certain members who feel that it is their place to criticise and belittle the work of authors and artists on these forums, while they sit back in their chairs doing mostly nothing of note. It is unfortunate that they feel this is their role, because it is neither desirable nor true. Their role, if they really want one, should be to provide constructive criticism at worst, and encouragement at best. Mostly we wish they would shut up.:rolleyes:;)

I would like to point out, that here on your thread, you have among the people reading your work (and enjoying it) some of the longest running member, contributing writers, and artists of renders and manips. Slavery and especially sex slavery has become one of our core topics, and there are some fine works of art, both historical and work created by members, which "celebrate" this fantasy. Your work is rich in the research and background you have provided for your world, and your story is starting with a lot of promise. I think I can speak for not only most (if not all) of the moderators, but also our fellow members (at least those that like a good slavery story) when I say we do hope you will reconsider and continue the story.
flower3

Your work is about as far from revolting as...well...er...something really far anyway. :D

Last edited:
Sorry for the drama, guys. It wasn't from someone here though. But I've since talked to them again and I guess I took their warnings in a wrong light. They were adamant some elements of my fantasy would repel most of my audience and well, the point seemed compelling at the time. In any case they've apologized and rephrased their statements.

But yeah, it was NOT from someone in here.

I still need to rethink things but at least I can tell you I won't quit on the story.

EDIT:

It wasn't someone from CF but the criticisms they leveled seemed to me would apply generally.

Not my cup of tea but thats beside the point. I would suggest, without knowing what the reasons for that 'someone's' revulsion, that you strongly reconsider not writing.
Just because someone doesn't like it, unless there are profound reasons, I would keep on going on.
I don't like some of the subject matter here, but I just don't go there!

Please keep going Serva. You write well and fluently and the subject is interesting at a visceral as well as intellectual and historical level. People have peculiar sensitivities and if writers listened to every sensitive critic nothing would ever get written. And we would al be reading Winnie the Pooh.

Except we wouldn’t - banned in China due to comparisons with president Xi, banned in Poland due to dubious sexuality and banned in Turkey because of his friendship with a piglet......

Don’t even get them started on peppa pig.......

It's been brought to my attention, by someone, how my fantasy is too revolting so I'm putting this whole thing on hiatus as I reconsider everything, including whether to continue writing at all, and if so, what. To those who were interested sorry for the disappointment. If I continue at all I'd have to scrap that first chapter and needless to say that's not particularly motivating.
I can't imagine why you'd have to scrap the chapter, there isn't anything close to revolting in it nor anything revolting that would necessarily follow from it. And really don't let yourself be silenced.

I have to ask something of you people, regarding the direction of this story, my confidence in which has been severely undermined by objections I've encountered from more than one person now.

Spoilers ahead.

So Omeros is 18 and Maria is 32 (having had him at 14 would've been very common for a princess);

He was later going to be spared death, yet because he is a man of royal blood, he was going to be castrated, and as a eunuch made a harem servant.

I've been told, for one, that this is far too deranged and cruel, and that most if not all of my male audience would be lost to me.

I've also been told that if he's castrated and kept in the harem that would be an uncrossable line crossed and that Maria would think of nothing but murdering the Padishah and that she'd forever be consumed with rage; which is something I do not want. But I've been told it would be the most natural and realistic thing to happen.

Some alternatives to the castration are Omeros being killed, but a Mother mourning her son is probably too dark for my own sensibilities, and she'd be forever melancholic.

The other is editing Omeros out of the first chapter all together but that throws in a different kind of wrench to my plans.

Would anyone offer any thoughts?

I have to ask something of you people, regarding the direction of this story, my confidence in which has been severely undermined by objections I've encountered from more than one person now.

Spoilers ahead.

So Omeros is 18 and Maria is 32 (having had him at 14 would've been very common for a princess);

He was later going to be spared death, yet because he is a man of royal blood, he was going to be castrated, and as a eunuch made a harem servant.

I've been told, for one, that this is far too deranged and cruel, and that most if not all of my male audience would be lost to me.

I've also been told that if he's castrated and kept in the harem that would be an uncrossable line crossed and that Maria would think of nothing but murdering the Padishah and that she'd forever be consumed with rage; which is something I do not want. But I've been told it would be the most natural and realistic thing to happen.
As a man, I can handle that sort of thing, but would prefer it was not dwelt on in detail. And I already gave you my opinion on the other matter, and the potential plot strand that could extend from it.

As a man, I can handle that sort of thing, but would prefer it was not dwelt on in detail.
My thoughts exactly. I'm sure we have had eunuchs in stories here before. One I remember from elsewhere detailed a slave being castrated by Chinese raiders and it didn't put me off the whole story; in fact senior Chinese civil servants and military officers were totally emasculated (penis + testicles), it was not a disgrace.

I think overall that you should write the story that you want to write. All these people objecting is getting very tiresome.
Just don't mention anything about how old Maria was at Omeros' birth. She's 36 now. All good.

I understand that many men might find castration distressing ;) , and some might find reading about it to be a bit uncomfortable, but it's certainly not shied away from in slavery images. There are examples of artwork on CF depicting the actual act of castration. If this is the case, how can there be any reasonable objection to depicting castration in a story? I doubt much of the audience will be lost.

Also, if he is castrated and kept as a Harem slave, why would that be an uncrossable line? Just last week, I saw member artwork depicting a man who had been castrated. His wife was now the sex slave of the man who bought the couple and he was a house slave in the same place, often having to serve (or so the picture implied) his master while his master used his (former) wife.

There are, of course, uncrossable lines, even at CF (no real crux with nails. no real snuff videos/images, no glorification of real historical atrocities, etc.), but slave castration in fiction is not one of those lines.

Anyway, if Omeros is going to cause problems, you could write him out (sell him to another owner, send him off to the master's fields, never to be seen again). That way Maria can at least imagine he's alive somewhere and not mourn forever, and you don't have revenge problems.
If he is critical to the plot, and he has to be in the harem, I suppose he'll just have to suffer the consequences. :eek::devil:

Some people may object or find this type of depiction distasteful. They may simply decide then that this is not their type of story and move on. Many people, however, will be interested and will read. The other thing to keep in mind is that when you write, you write as much for yourself as for an audience. It won't work if it's not the story you want to read. :)

Spoilers ahead.

Some alternatives to the castration are Omeros being killed, but a Mother mourning her son is probably too dark for my own sensibilities, and she'd be forever melancholic.

The other is editing Omeros out of the first chapter all together but that throws in a different kind of wrench to my plans.

Would anyone offer any thoughts?

What they said! To be honest you need different people .... round these parts a man having his balls chopped off - even royal ones - would be considered light relief in many of the stories and threads. So go for it girl. Nobody will turn a hair. May make some of male audience here a bit queasy but.........

I think whoever told you that is using his own modern perspective to conclude how a woman living centuries ago would react to a son's castration. I don't agree that logically she would be forever be consumed with rage. On the contrary, she may be very relieved that he wasn't killed.

So please, just write the story you want to write.

For what it's worth, plenty of stories on this site include scenes that don't work for me - either because I find them wholly unrealistic or just plan gross. So I skim over that chapter and patiently wait for the next one. Like an adult.

I think whoever told you that is using his own modern perspective to conclude how a woman living centuries ago would react to a son's castration. I don't agree that logically she would be forever be consumed with rage. On the contrary, she may be very relieved that he wasn't killed.

So please, just write the story you want to write.

For what it's worth, plenty of stories on this site include scenes that don't work for me - either because I find them wholly unrealistic or just plan gross. So I skim over that chapter and patiently wait for the next one. Like an adult.
You've made the same point I have made to Serva privately. The relief on his not being dead would be a huge thing...

Back
Top Bottom