Milestones

Go to CruxDreams.com
I presume she was 'unsinkable' too...
Britannic struck a mine lain by a German U-boat near the Greek island of Kea. The explosion damaged one of the watertight bulkheads and may have caused other watertight doors to fail to close properly (the exact reason these doors failed to close is still unknown). Five compartments flooded which should have allowed her to stay afloat. Titanic had gone down with just four flooded, but design changes were made after that ship's sinking. Unfortunately, because of the warm Mediterranean climate, a large number of portholes were open. Water flooding in through the portholes doomed the ship.
As a result of the Titanic disaster, Britannic carried more lifeboats. This combined with the warmer waters, closeness to shore and the quick arrival of both Royal Navy ships and Greek fishermen kept the death toll relatively low (30) despite the fact that she went down in only about 55 minutes.
There is dispute about the name change. Although there are some documents with the name Gigantic, the order book of the Harland & Wolff shipyard have the name Britannic nine months before the Titanic sank.
Wreck_of_Britannic_2.jpg

Today the US observers Thanksgiving Day to reflect on all we should be thankful for. This has been a hell of a year for Amy and me but I am thankful her cancer treatments are almost done.

I have great friends both where I live and because of CF around the world. To all of you good health and happiness!!!

Today the US observers Thanksgiving Day to reflect on all we should be thankful for. This has been a hell of a year for Amy and me but I am thankful her cancer treatments are almost done.

I have great friends both where I live and because of CF around the world. To all of you good health and happiness!!!

I'll drink the health of both of you tonight

OS

Enjoy your Thanksgiving, Tree, and let's hope you'll be more thankful still next year. :)

As promised, I raised a glass to all our members and their families who have health issues.

It was with mixed emotions in the slave shed, as I chose a bottle that my late wife and I bought on our last visit to the Canary Isles. Her health gave out. Life goes on, thoughts remain.

Dec. 4th: Barbara (late 3rd century) virgin martyr. According to the legends, Barbara was the daughter of a rich pagan named Dioscorus. She was carefully guarded by her father, who kept her shut up in a tower to preserve her from the outside world. Having secretly become a Christian, she rejected an offer of marriage that she received through him.
Dragged before the prefect of the province, Martinianus, who had her cruelly tortured, Barbara held true to her faith. During the night, the dark prison was bathed in light and new miracles occurred. Every morning her wounds were healed. Torches that were to be used to burn her went out as soon as they came near her. Finally she was condemned to death by beheading. Her father himself carried out the death-sentence. However, for this, he was struck by lightning on the way home and his body was consumed by flame. Barbara was buried by a Christian, Valentinus, and her tomb became the site of miracles.
Today, 4th December, is St Barbara's feast day.

Pp has little interest in religions and saints but news this morning of the annual St Barbara's Festival, held in Kalgoorlie on the Western Australian goldfields to celebrate mining, piqued His interest.

As eul pointed out in the original post St Barbs is the patron saint of armourers, artillerymen and others who work with explosives because of her old legend's association with lightning so is it any wonder her namesake here runs about hurling those demerit bolts at anyone who gives offence.

Light the blue touch paper and retire immediately...

219.jpg

Barbara day greetings to you PP - it's not quite got here yet,
and a few more hours before Barb goes up in a shower of sparks!

NB one more week, 12th December, is St Eul's day (the original Eulalia, of Merida)

Today, 4th December, is St Barbara's feast day.

Pp has little interest in religions and saints but news this morning of the annual St Barbara's Festival, held in Kalgoorlie on the Western Australian goldfields to celebrate mining, piqued His interest.

As eul pointed out in the original post St Barbs is the patron saint of armourers, artillerymen and others who work with explosives because of her old legend's association with lightning so is it any wonder her namesake here runs about hurling those demerit bolts at anyone who gives offence.
St Barbara of Nicomedia is supposed to have been martyred in the III century. However, because there are no references to her prior to the VII century and due to the fantastical nature of her story, the Catholic Church removed her form the calendar in 1969, although she is still venerated as a saint.
She was - according to the legend - the daughter of a wealthy man who kept her locked in a tower to protect her from the outside world. However, he did allow her to be educated and some of her teachers were Christians. Upon learning that she had become a Christian, her father took her to the prefect who tortured her to make her renounce her religion. When the tortures failed due to miraculous healing of her wounds, she was sentenced to be beheaded. The execution was carried out by her own father who was struck by lighting and killed immediately after - why he wasn't struck by lightning before he cut off her head is not explained.
Barbara is was a very popular subject for artists who provided many depiction of her tortures...especial the torture of her breasts.
stbar1.jpg M_Albal1B.jpg DArpino8.jpg Bellegambe1B.jpg Concioli1C.jpg Requena1.jpg Rossetti_C4.jpg stbar2.jpg

St Barbara of Nicomedia is supposed to have been martyred in the III century. However, because there are no references to her prior to the VII century and due to the fantastical nature of her story, the Catholic Church removed her form the calendar in 1969, although she is still venerated as a saint.
She was - according to the legend - the daughter of a wealthy man who kept her locked in a tower to protect her from the outside world. However, he did allow her to be educated and some of her teachers were Christians. Upon learning that she had become a Christian, her father took her to the prefect who tortured her to make her renounce her religion. When the tortures failed due to miraculous healing of her wounds, she was sentenced to be beheaded. The execution was carried out by her own father who was struck by lighting and killed immediately after - why he wasn't struck by lightning before he cut off her head is not explained.
Barbara is was a very popular subject for artists who provided many depiction of her tortures...especial the torture of her breasts.
View attachment 439774 View attachment 439775 View attachment 439776 View attachment 439777 View attachment 439778 View attachment 439779 View attachment 439780 View attachment 439781
These days he'd just have got demerits.

:rolleyes:

These days he'd just have got demerits.

Right! And from whom? Very pertinent : from Barb.:)

The execution was carried out by her own father who was struck by lighting and killed immediately after - why he wasn't struck by lightning before he cut off her head is not explained.

The tale is the explanation. Religuous tales need both evil guys and martyrs.

Though the second world war was already well underway on December 7, 1941 the US could no longer ignore it after the attack on Pearl Harbor. In lives lost taking Iwo Jima would over-shadow it and 9-11-2001 certainly eclipsed it in civilian lives lost. General Curtis Lemay had a policy of 'peace through power' when a show of military might could keep a cold war cold. God help us in this world of asymmetric jihadist warfare

Back
Top Bottom