Milestones

Go to CruxDreams.com
60 years ago today that Sputnik 1 was launched.

I remember sitting in the bar (we owned the pub, it was legal for a 9-year-old to be there) listening to the grown-ups talking about it: "Nothing good will come of it" "If they make a hole in the sky, the air will escape" "It aynt natural" "You couldn't put a human up there" and mostly "What fucking use is it?"

Now the grandchildren of these old men say "I havn't used a map for years, sat-nav's bloody marvelous."
Rare good milestone, OS! thank you for remind that. But, I was unborn.

I remember sitting in the bar (we owned the pub, it was legal for a 9-year-old to be there) listening to the grown-ups talking about it: "Nothing good will come of it" "If they make a hole in the sky, the air will escape" "It aynt natural" "You couldn't put a human up there" and mostly "What fucking use is it?"

Now the grandchildren of these old men say "I havn't used a map for years, sat-nav's bloody marvelous."

Thanks OS, I missed that anniversary.

There is a story of a physics professor who asked his students on the exams to prove it was impossible to launch an object to the moon. He kept doing so, until his retirement in .... 1972.

And today the grandchildren of these men would have childcare take away a 9-year old from their pub owners-parents, otherwise, they say, "Nothing good will come of it". That happens when you never learned reading a map.

'Sputnik's Tale'
Edwin Morgan Sputnik's Tale.jpg
('Widsith' that he mentions is an Anglo-Saxon poem in which a bard
lists all sorts of grim events from Germanic history and legend,
and the refrain is 'that passed, so may this')

On October 15th 1917, hunderd years ago, the Dutch exotic dancer Mata Hari (Margareta Zelle, born 1876) was executed as a spy in Vincennes, near Paris.
The case remains controversial. Was she :
-a spy for Germany (she had contacts with German diplomatic and mlitary staff?
-a double spy, framed by the Germans to get rid of her, since she rather transmitted gossip than useful intelligence?
-a French spy, framed by the Germans to have the French shoot their own spy?
-a double spy, used by the French as a scapegoat to demonstrate that military failures were not the army's fault, but because of treason?

On October 15th 1917, hunderd years ago, the Dutch exotic dancer Mata Hari (Margareta Zelle, born 1876) was executed as a spy in Vincennes, near Paris.
-a double spy, framed by the Germans to get rid of her, since she rather transmitted gossip than useful intelligence?
-a double spy, used by the French as a scapegoat to demonstrate that military failures were not the army's fault, but because of treason?
Nobody from us knows it. Perhaps, the last option.
http://www.cruxforums.com/xf/threads/the-last-warrior-in-your-last-moment.3334/page-8#post-154630

or she just failed to read the small print on the contract?

This won't mean much to some of you, and it will remind some of us how old we've gotten:
Forty years ago today (October 20, 1977) the plane carrying members of the band Lynyrd Skynyrd crashed near Gillsburg, Mississippi killing lead singer/song writer Ronnie van Zant, guitarist Steve Gaines, his sister and back-up singer Cassie Gaines, assistant road manager Dean Kilpatrick and both pilots. It was a sudden and shocking end to a group at the height of their popularity and influence.
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/f...-skynyrds-plane-crash-ronnie-van-zant-w509500

This won't mean much to some of you, and it will remind some of us how old we've gotten:
Forty years ago today (October 20, 1977) the plane carrying members of the band Lynyrd Skynyrd crashed near Gillsburg, Mississippi killing lead singer/song writer Ronnie van Zant, guitarist Steve Gaines, his sister and back-up singer Cassie Gaines, assistant road manager Dean Kilpatrick and both pilots. It was a sudden and shocking end to a group at the height of their popularity and influence.
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/f...-skynyrds-plane-crash-ronnie-van-zant-w509500
Oh dear, yes, I do remember that.... :(:(

Thanks Phlebas - I've copied that to 'Passings', as we're using that thread now for current obituaries,
keeping 'Milestones' for anniversaries of past events.

I'm in Charlotte and sometimes in Chapel Hill. The "scene" should involve full nudity, shaming--both on and off the cross--and preliminary whipping. Although I'd be the one to be crucified, I wouldn't mind "hanging" with other dudes. May I join?

Today is the 500th anniversary of an event that had a major impact on the course of history-the publication of Martin Luther's 95 theses against the sale of indulgences by the Catholic Church. While there is some dispute as to whether he actually nailed them to the door of churches in Wittenburg, Germany, he also mailed them to the Bishops of Mainz and Magdeburg on that day, October 31, 1517. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...o-but-did-he-nail-anything-to-a-church-door/?

The effect on history was undeniable, leading to the fracturing of Europe and the Thirty Years War and the schism between the Pope and Henry VIII of England (very ably played at the Tower of London by Stan Goldman, despite the spiteful critiques provided by former detective Moore). Some, such as Max Weber believe that Protestantism was intrinsically linked to the development of industrial capitalism, though Loxuruin his story "The Queen of Chaos" may argue otherwise.

But it was clearly a seminal event in world history.

Back
Top Bottom