Milestones

Go to CruxDreams.com
Some of us are old enough to remember being up in the night 50 years ago today, to see fuzzy black and white pictures on our (now it seems) incredibly primitive TVs of live coverage of the first humans stepping on the Earth's Moon!
buzz-aldrin-flag-apollo-11.jpg

Some of us are old enough to remember being up in the night 50 years ago today, to see fuzzy black and white pictures on our (now it seems) incredibly primitive TVs of live coverage of the first humans stepping on the Earth's Moon!
View attachment 728436
I was at summer camp and they didn't have a TV, but they brought one in for that and we all watched together in the dining hall....

View attachment 728436
I was (just) barely 13 at the time. The black and white Motorola took a few minutes to even show a picture after turning it on. For the rare event my dad allowed the TV to stay on for quite a while...

I was 6, in bed with chicken pox or measles, don't remember which. It was interesting but they played the footage all day and bumped my usual programming, Bugs Bunny etc, so I was a bit cheesed off! Couldn't escape it. I do still have a pack which came out around that time, with information cards and 2d models of the spacecraft and things about the suits etc, fascinated me more in later years.

Yesterday was the anniversary of the sinking of the Andrea Doria in 1956. I was only eight, but I remember well the headlines and the disbelief that in "modern" times such a tragedy could happen. But, of course we all blamed the Swedish ship. S.S. Stockholm
Among its oceangoing sisters, the S.S. Stockholm has always been infamous as the ill-fated vessel that struck and sank the Italian liner Andrea Doria in dense fog off Nantucket 50 years ago. The collision — on July 25, 1956 — resulted not only in 51 deaths and the daring rescue of hundreds from the swells of the Atlantic; it also assured a name for the Stockholm as “the death ship” of the high seas.
Incredibly, it still sails as a cruise ship on the Baltic as the MV Astoria
Astoria_departing_Tallinn_20_June_2016.jpg

Yesterday was the anniversary of the sinking of the Andrea Doria in 1956. I was only eight, but I remember well the headlines and the disbelief that in "modern" times such a tragedy could happen
The Andrea Doria was deemed 'unsinkable'.

Prior to the collision, the Andrea Doria was hidden by fog. She was visible on the Stockholm's radar screen, but the distance callibration was strongly misjudged and so was the real distance between the ships. Trouble was, that the ships were not used to communicate with each other by radio. When the Andrea Doria suddenly emerged from the fog, wrong evasive action was undertaken, putting the Stockholm on ramming course towards the Andrea Doria.

Nearly all victims were killed by the collision itself, where the Stockholm's bow hit the passenger's sleeping cabins. One woman, named Linda Morgan, went to sleep in her bed on the Andrea Doria, and woke up on the Stockholm's deck, uninjured.

One of the things that made the Andrea Doria sinking so memorable was that it happened close enough to shore for news crews to fly out to the site and footage of the sinking, rescue efforts and the damaged Stockholm.
Of course, most important, and strangely not mentioned yet by @windar , is the Seinfeld connection.
George Costanza was trying to get into a Coop building and the other candidate was a survivor of the Andrea Doria singing. He had the sympathy of the Board,
until George resorted to describing in detail his crazy life. He soon had the Board member weeping

What's up, Windar - getting forgetful in your old age?

See @Barbaria1 . You can learn a lot on Seinfeld!

Of course, most important, and strangely not mentioned yet by @windar , is the Seinfeld connection.
George Costanza was trying to get into a Coop building and the other candidate was a survivor of the Andrea Doria singing. He had the sympathy of the Board,
until George resorted to describing in detail his crazy life. He soon had the Board member weeping

What's up, Windar - getting forgetful in your old age?

See @Barbaria1 . You can learn a lot on Seinfeld!
Moore switched to M*A*S*H when that episode came on. I really shouldn't let her have the remote control.:fighting02:

Concerning transatlantic travelling, we have missed a centennial celebration last month. On June 14th 1919, two British airmen John Alcock and Arhur Brown, made the very first non-stop Atlantic crossing by air. With a modified Vickers Vimy bomber, they flew from St. John's in Newfoundland, to Galway in Ireland, in about 16 hours time.

The plane crash landed in a bog, but it is a miracle they had made it anyway :

Concerning transatlantic travelling, we have missed a centennial celebration last month. On June 14th 1919, two British airmen John Alcock and Arhur Brown, made the very first non-stop Atlantic crossing by air. With a modified Vickers Vimy bomber, they flew from St. John's in Newfoundland, to Galway in Ireland, in about 16 hours time.

The plane crash landed in a bog, but it is a miracle they had made it anyway :

It was a long and grueling flight, but fortunately, they had @Kathy to see to their comfort!

Last edited:
After the tragedy of the Estonia ferry sinking in the Baltic,
the Scottish ferry company CalMac put a note in their brochure
assuring passengers of their high standards, declaring
'most of our ferries are very safe'
But they omitted to tell us which ones weren't :eek:

Back
Top Bottom