Milestones

Go to CruxDreams.com
Speaking of science, the world's oldest forest was discovered right near where I live! https://www.sciencemag.org/news/201...d-s-oldest-forest-and-its-radical-impact-life

385 million years old. That makes Stan Goldman feel young!!!

That puts them in the Upper Devonian. Archaeopteris, literally 'ancient fern', grew like trees, with roots, woody trunks and branches, like seed-producing trees, but had fern-like leaves and apparently reproduced with spores like ferns, though they may have produced something midway between a spore and a seed, making them a link between ferns and seed-plants. But there's a good deal of debate about how exactly they relate to present-day plants. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archaeopteris

That puts them in the Upper Devonian. Archaeopteris, literally 'ancient fern', grew like trees, with roots, woody trunks and branches, like seed-producing trees, but had fern-like leaves and apparently reproduced with spores like ferns, though they may have produced something midway between a spore and a seed, making them a link between ferns and seed-plants. But there's a good deal of debate about how exactly they relate to present-day plants. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archaeopteris
And Greenland's melting ice is revealing ancient tree stumps. How did they freeze over?

That puts them in the Upper Devonian.
Not a surprise. The oldest (thin) coal seams are found in deposits of the Famennian stage in the Ardenne, which is a continuation of the deposits of the same age in New York (they got split up only later when the Atlantic Ocean was created). During the Devonian, Earth became 'green', the continents became covered with vegetation. Before, the continents were all bare, desert like landscapes, from equator to the poles.

in the Ardenne, which is a continuation of the deposits of the same age in New York (they got split up only later when the Atlantic Ocean was created).
Isn´t the evolution - in this case that of Mother Earth - really a amazing thing? Remember, without the Atlantic Ocean New York would be right beside the Ardenne and it would be possible that we Continent-European would have the same person as President as the American!
But I am sure that some English people would counter that the American then at least would speak proper English.

Isn´t the evolution - in this case that of Mother Earth - really a amazing thing? Remember, without the Atlantic Ocean New York would be right beside the Ardenne and it would be possible that we Continent-European would have the same person as President as the American!
But I am sure that some English people would counter that the American then at least would speak proper English.

In some ways, I believe, American English is closer to old forms of English than present day speech on the other side of the pond.

In some ways, I believe, American English is closer to old forms of English than the present day forms on the other side of the pond.
It is. I think I've mentioned before the two islands in the Chesapeake Bay, Tangier Island in Virginia and Smith Island in Maryland where the closest dialect to Elizabethan English (that's Elizabeth I-no one calls the modern era Elizabethan, do they?) still spoken exists. I visited Smith Island about 30 years ago and it's definitely a step back in time.

For that matter, Quebec French is closer to 17th century French than modern French in France is.

Not a surprise. The oldest (thin) coal seams are found in deposits of the Famennian stage in the Ardenne, which is a continuation of the deposits of the same age in New York (they got split up only later when the Atlantic Ocean was created). During the Devonian, Earth became 'green', the continents became covered with vegetation. Before, the continents were all bare, desert like landscapes, from equator to the poles.

Yes, and it would have been hot and wet. During the Devonian, there were three major continental masses: North America and Europe sat together near the equator, with much of their current area covered by shallow seas. To the north lay a portion of modern Siberia. A composite continent of South America, Africa, Antarctica, India, and Australia dominated the southern hemisphere.

The Rhynie Chert, silica-rich rock in Old Red Sandstone near Huntly in Aberdeenshire, is is an early Devonian deposit containing fossils of some of the earliest vascular plants.

It is. I think I've mentioned before the two islands in the Chesapeake Bay, Tangier Island in Virginia and Smith Island in Maryland where the closest dialect to Elizabethan English (that's Elizabeth I-no one calls the modern era Elizabethan, do they?) still spoken exists. I visited Smith Island about 30 years ago and it's definitely a step back in time.

For that matter, Quebec French is closer to 17th century French than modern French in France is.

Actually it’s true of many immigrant languages. Once isolated from the constant modernizing evolution of language in the homeland, they tend to preserve archaic forms and patterns.

In some ways, I believe, American English is closer to old forms of English than present day speech on the other side of the pond.

And in Washington, it's a bit further back, with good old Henry VIII in charge :p

The British Isles started to move west, but they were ripped off from what we call now 'America', at the beginning of the opening of the Atlantic, and literally left behind. Because the faulting under the North Sea was not powerful enough to enforce a real separation. So, their presence in front of the European continent is somewhat geologically anomalous.

The British Isles started to move west, but they were ripped off from what we call now 'America', at the beginning of the opening of the Atlantic, and literally left behind. Because the faulting under the North Sea was not powerful enough to enforce a real separation. So, their presence in front of the European continent is somewhat geologically anomalous.
A prehistoric Brexit....

That was only yesterday, 50 to 60 million years ago. The split with America made a good old mess of Scotland's west coast, massive volcanoes. But where I am the scenery is folded in ridges caused over 400 million years back by a carelessly driven continent crashing into us with England on it. :mad:

That was only yesterday, 50 to 60 million years ago. The split with America made a good old mess of Scotland's west coast, massive volcanoes. But where I am the scenery is folded in ridges caused over 400 million years back by a carelessly driven continent crashing into us with England on it. :mad:

I wasn’t behind the wheel. Honest! I really wasn’t :rolleyes:

The basalt formations in Scotland and Northern Ireland are sometimes called the 'coagulated blood' from the wounds made in the Earth's crust during the opening of the Atlantic.

a carelessly driven continent crashing into us with England on it
I wasn’t behind the wheel. Honest! I really wasn’t :rolleyes:
Probably some Welshmen were at the wheel. The geological stages from these times (Cambrium, Ordovician and Silurian), refer to Wales and ancient Welsh tribes.

The basalt formations in Scotland and Northern Ireland are sometimes called the 'coagulated blood' from the wounds made in the Earth's crust during the opening of the Atlantic.
This, together with earth often called "Mother Earth", awakens biological associations. To avoid nasty names, could Scotland and Northern Ireland call themself the firstborn from the bosom of the earth?

Back
Top Bottom