Milestones

Go to CruxDreams.com
Well, it is true that the earth is closest to the sun in the southern summer, so it is "hottest" below the equator. Also, he equator is somewhat bulged out because of the position of the earth's axis. I am not sure you are trying to imply either of those things?
Please don't talk about bulging at the equator while Stan is making latkes for Chanukah!

Well, it is true that the earth is closest to the sun in the southern summer, so it is "hottest" below the equator. Also, he equator is somewhat bulged out because of the position of the earth's axis. I am not sure you are trying to imply either of those things?
I have read once, that the Earth is slightly 'bulging in' around the south pole and on mid-northern latitudes. Which made the author conclude that the Earth is actually pear-shaped.

The ideal feminine shape, I have been told.

This thread has been quiet for a few days. Obviously, nothing important has ever happened between the middle of December and the beginning of January......

However, today marks 100 years since the birth of Isaac Asimov. (An author who, for me, had ideas which outstripped his writing capabilities....)

This thread has been quiet for a few days. Obviously, nothing important has ever happened between the middle of December and the beginning of January......

However, today marks 100 years since the birth of Isaac Asimov. (An author who, for me, had ideas which outstripped his writing capabilities....)
Isaac Asimov was the first SF author I read. I don´t know anymore which story it was, but he got me fixed on SF for life and opened much bigger doors in my phantasie then any other genre.

I loved Isaac Azimov, not only his science fiction, but the popular science books he wrote, some of which got me interested in pursuing a career in science (some may wonder which books got me interested in writing BDSM erotica). He had a PhD in chemistry from Columbia and his fiction was always grounded in solid science.

I loved Isaac Azimov, not only his science fiction, but the popular science books he wrote, some of which got me interested in pursuing a career in science (some may wonder which books got me interested in writing BDSM erotica). He had a PhD in chemistry from Columbia and his fiction was always grounded in solid science.
Don't get me wrong: I, too, loved Asimov as a teenager. His stories inspired me, as well. It's just that returning to him a decade later, I found his style just a little.....turgid. But his ideas still fire considerable thought. I remember my mind being blown as a 13-14 year old by the essay 'The tragedy of the moon'. (Basically, if our moon orbited Venus instead of the Earth, our whole view of the universe would have been different from the earliest times.)

Decades ago, a little girl looked out her window, peering up at the stars. “I would prefer to stay up and watch the stars than sleep,” Vera Rubin recalled years later. That little girl become an astronomer whose observations of dark matter changed the course of science. Rubin died on December 25, 2016 at age 88

This is a proud moment

And last but not least

On this day in 1816, French mathematician Sophie Germain became the first woman to win a prize from the Paris Academy of Sciences. Despite familial and societal obstacles, Germain became a pioneer in the study of elasticity theory and number theory.

Decades ago, a little girl looked out her window, peering up at the stars. “I would prefer to stay up and watch the stars than sleep,” Vera Rubin recalled years later. That little girl become an astronomer whose observations of dark matter changed the course of science. Rubin died on December 25, 2016 at age 88

This is a proud moment

And last but not least

On this day in 1816, French mathematician Sophie Germain became the first woman to win a prize from the Paris Academy of Sciences. Despite familial and societal obstacles, Germain became a pioneer in the study of elasticity theory and number theory.
Crazy damn French!!! :doh: :beer: :devil:

This is a proud moment

And last but not least

Incidentally, you post this on the anniversary of the death of Caroline Herschel (9th january 1848) :

Back
Top Bottom