Milestones

Go to CruxDreams.com

Praefectus Praetorio

Brother of the Quill
On this day in 1954, J.R.R. Tolkien published the first part of his epic Lord of the Rings fantasy series, The Fellowship of the Ring. The entire saga, which appeared in three volumes, has sold roughly 150 million copies (pretty good for a boring Oxford don with a love of historical linguistics.(who do we know like that?))
Tolkien's draft for the cover
The-Fellowship-Of-The-Ring-Book-Cover-by-JRR-Tolkien_1-480.jpg
Actual First Edition Cover
The_Fellowship_of_the_Ring_cover.gif

Pearls Before Swine did a scary rendition of The One Ring's inscription!

Last edited:

Loxuru

Graf von Kreuzigung
Well, SpaceX has landed succesfully in the sea, this evening.

The first 'splashdown' in 45 years. The last one was the Apollo capsule of the Apollo-Soyuz project, which landed on July 24th 1975. I saw it on TV (B/W!), then! Not realising, that this kind of a landing would no more take place in almost half a century!

It is strange, this word 'splashdown'! For my generations, it was a common word in the early space age! Today, I have seen papers and reels tha explained the word! To a generation that has only seen Space Shuttle landings.

Now, technically, there has been one other 'splashdown' after July 1975. It took place fifteen months later, but was not planned. On October 14th 1976, Soyuz 23 was launched, for a coupling with the Soviet space station Salyut 5. But technical problems with the approach system exhausted Soyuz' fuel and electrical resources, before the coupling was achieved. The cosmonauts had no other option than return to Earth. On October 16th, they made an emergency landing in Kazachstan, right on Lake Tzengis. The lake was frozen, but the ice was broken by the impact. Without floating equipment, the capsule sank to the bottom of the lake. The cosmonauts had to stay there a full night, without heating, before a rescue team could locate and recover them. This was the first and only landing ever of a Sovier/Russian capsule on water.

Gibbs505

SERVORUM DOMITOR
Well, SpaceX has landed succesfully in the sea, this evening.

The first 'splashdown' in 45 years. The last one was the Apollo capsule of the Apollo-Soyuz project, which landed on July 24th 1975. I saw it on TV (B/W!), then! Not realising, that this kind of a landing would no more take place in almost half a century!

It is strange, this word 'splashdown'! For my generations, it was a common word in the early space age! Today, I have seen papers and reels tha explained the word! To a generation that has only seen Space Shuttle landings.

Now, technically, there has been one other 'splashdown' after July 1975. It took place fifteen months later, but was not planned. On October 14th 1976, Soyuz 23 was launched, for a coupling with the Soviet space station Salyut 5. But technical problems with the approach system exhausted Soyuz' fuel and electrical resources, before the coupling was achieved. The cosmonauts had no other option than return to Earth. On October 16th, they made an emergency landing in Kazachstan, right on Lake Tzengis. The lake was frozen, but the ice was broken by the impact. Without floating equipment, the capsule sank to the bottom of the lake. The cosmonauts had to stay there a full night, without heating, before a rescue team could locate and recover them. This was the first and only landing ever of a Sovier/Russian capsule on water.
I watched it as well! Glad that it went of well!

Top Bottom