Milestones

Go to CruxDreams.com
You forgot:....

1995 O.J. Simpson is aquitted of the brutal 1994 murder of his estranged wife, Nicole Brown Simpson.

You forgot:....

1995 O.J. Simpson is aquitted of the brutal 1994 murder of his estranged wife, Nicole Brown Simpson.

I am probably the only white male in the US that believes he did not kill her. I believe he knows who did or who wanted her dead (and I think it had to do with drugs). If you read the timeline the prosecution finally put together the probability of of the whole thing happening is near zero. Plus the lack of DNA makes it even more increulous since they shared custody with the children.

But we don't talk politics here and I'm going to watch the first Presidential debate in two hours...

Tree

Of course I'm prepared...
jurist prelude.jpg

I am probably the only white male in the US that believes he did not kill her. I believe he knows who did or who wanted her dead (and I think it had to do with drugs). If you read the timeline the prosecution finally put together the probability of of the whole thing happening is near zero. Plus the lack of DNA makes it even more increulous since they shared custody with the children.

But we don't talk politics here and I'm going to watch the first Presidential debate in two hours...

Tree

View attachment 52165
succes with the debate in my country start it 03 am....................i hear tomorrow because i go sleeping

Tree

View attachment 52165
No problem, just history.

Big Jim Sullivan​
14 Feb 1941 - 2 Oct 2012​

Some more that got away!

October 4th: Berenice (Vernike, Veronica, etc.) and Prosdoce of Edessa (now Urfa in Turkey, near the Syrian border), virgin martyrs (303x310). They were the young daughters of Domnina, a Christian noblewoman from Antioch, settled at Edessa with her husband, a pagan.
They were arrested adhering to the Christian religion. On their way to trial, the soldiers took a rest and got drunk. Fearing that they would all be raped, Domnina threw herself into a river, urging or pulling her daughters in with her; all three drowned.

October 5th: Charitina of Amisus (Samsun in Turkey, on the Black Sea), virgin martyr (ca. 304). Born ca. 287, orphaned young, she was adopted by an eminent Christian called Claudius the pious, who brought her up as his own daughter. According to her legend, Charitina was meek, humble, obedient and silent. She vowed to live in perpetual virginity as a true bride of Christ. But when she had brought others to the Christian faith, the Emperor Diocletian's governor, Dometius, heard of her and sent soldiers to take her from her foster-father for trial. The judge asked her: "Is it true, little girl, that you are a Christian, and that you delude others by bringing them to this dishonourable faith?" Charitina courageously replied: "It is true that I am a Christian, a lie that I delude others." The judge ordered her hair to be cut off and live coals put on her head, but the maiden was preserved by God's power. They threw her into the sea, but God delivered her from it. She was bound to a wheel which began to turn, but an angel of God stopped the wheel and Charitina remained unharmed. Then the wicked judge sent some dissolute youths to rape her. Fearing this dishonour, Charitina prayed to God to receive her soul before they could foul her virginal body and so, while she was kneeling in prayer, her soul went from her body. Though she was buried by fellow-Christians, her body was dug up by her persecutors and thrown into the sea.

Of course in modern Catholic Dogma their suire would preclude them from heaven, much less sainthood.

...and as the Rev. Tree (of the Church of the Googey Death and Discount House of Prayer) preached "It is far better the woman suffer torture and sexual consumption of her physical body for the entertainment of others than to hide her worldly flesh beneath cloth."

Tree

suicide? It's a tricky one, we met it a little while back with Marina, the lass who jumped off a roof to avoid rape.​
I think the official line is it's okay if it's you're under a vow of chastity and it's the only way of saving it.​
Though as it's also official that rape doesn't deprive the victim of her (spiritual) virginity,​
she might just as well lie back and think of England...​

October 5 is the anniversary of a riot that ignited a revolution, a riot that rocked the film industry, and a riot that toppled a dictator.
456. The Visigoths under king Theodoric II, acting on orders of the Roman emperor Avitus, invade Spain with an army of Burgundians, Franks and Goths, led by the kings Chilperic I and Gondioc. They defeat the Suebi under king Rechiar on the river Urbicus near Astorga (Gallaecia).
578. Byzantine Emperor Justin II dies. He was Eastern Roman emperor from 565 to 578. His reign was marked by war with Persia and the loss of the greater part of Italy.
After two disastrous campaigns, in which the Persians overran Syria and captured the strategically important fortress of Dara, Justin reportedly lost his mind. The temporary fits of insanity into which he fell warned him to name a colleague. Passing over his own relatives, he raised the general Tiberius to be Caesar in December 574 and withdrew into retirement.
According to John of Ephesus, as Justin II slipped into the unbridled madness of his final days he was pulled through the palace on a wheeled throne, biting attendants as he passed. He reportedly ordered organ music to be played constantly throughout the palace in an attempt to soothe his frenzied mind, and it was rumored that his taste for attendants extended as far as devouring a number of them during his reign
869. The Fourth Council of Constantinople is convened to decide the fate of Patriarch Photius of Constantinople. It was called by Emperor Basil I the Macedonian and Pope Adrian II.
It condemned Photius and deposed him as patriarch and reinstated his predecessor Ignatius. It also ranked Constantinople before the other three Eastern patriarchates of Alexandria, Antioch and Jerusalem and anathematized the teaching, supposedly held by Photius, that there are two human souls, one spiritual and immortal, one earthly and mortal.
1143. King Alfonso VII of Leon recognizes Portugal as a Kingdom.
1450. Jews are expelled from Lower Bavaria by order of Louis IX, Duke of Bavaria.
1582. Because of the implementation of the Gregorian calendar this day does not exist in this year in Italy, Poland, Portugal and Spain.
1793. Christianity is disestablished in France during the French Revolution.
1813. During the War of 1812, a combined British and Indian force is defeated by General William Harrison's American army at the Battle of the Thames near Ontario, Canada. The leader of the Indian forces was Tecumseh, the Shawnee chief who organized intertribal resistance to the encroachment of white settlers on Indian lands. He was killed in the fighting.
1857. The City of Anaheim is founded in California. Founded by fifty German families in 1857 and incorporated on February 10, 1870, Anaheim developed into an industrial center, producing electronics, aircraft parts, and canned fruit.
1864. The Indian city of Calcutta is almost totally destroyed by a cyclone; 60,000 people die.
1869. A strong hurricane devastates the Bay of Fundy region of Maritime Canada. The storm had been predicted over a year before by a British naval officer.
1892. The infamous Dalton Gang attempts the daring daylight robbery of two Coffeyville, Kansas, banks at the same time. But if the gang members believed the sheer audacity of their plan would bring them success, they were sadly mistaken. Instead, they were nearly all killed by quick-acting townspeople.
For a year and a half, the Dalton Gang had terrorized the state of Oklahoma, mostly concentrating on train holdups. Though the gang had more murders than loot to their credit, they had managed to successfully evade the best efforts of Oklahoma law officers to bring them to justice. Perhaps success bred overconfidence, but whatever their reasons, the gang members decided to try their hand at robbing not just one bank, but at robbing the First National and Condon Banks in their old hometown of Coffeyville at the same time.
After riding quietly into town, the men tied their horses to a fence in an alley near the two banks and split up. Two of the Dalton brothers-Bob and Emmett-headed for the First National, while Grat Dalton led Dick Broadwell and Bill Powers in to the Condon Bank. Unfortunately for the Daltons, someone recognized one of the gang members and began quietly spreading the word that the town banks were being robbed. Thus, while Bob and Emmett were stuffing money into a grain sack, the townspeople ran for their guns and quickly surrounded the two banks. When the Dalton brothers walked out of the bank, a hail of bullets forced them back into the building. Regrouping, they tried to flee out the back door of the bank, but the townspeople were waiting for them there as well.
Meanwhile, in the Condon Bank a brave cashier had managed to delay Grat Dalton, Powers, and Broadwell with the classic claim that the vault was on a time lock and couldn't be opened. That gave the townspeople enough time to gather force, and suddenly a bullet smashed through the bank window and hit Broadwell in the arm. Quickly scooping up $1,500 in loose cash, the three men bolted out the door and fled down a back alley. But like their friends next door, they were immediately shot and killed, this time by a local livery stable owner and a barber.
When the gun battle was over, the people of Coffeyville had destroyed the Dalton Gang, killing every member except for Emmett Dalton. But their victory was not without a price: the Dalton's took four townspeople to their graves with them. After recovering from serious wounds, Emmett was tried and sentenced to life in prison. After 14 years he won parole, and he eventually leveraged his cachet as a former Wild West bandit into a position as a screenwriter in Hollywood. Several years after moving to California, he died at the age of 66 in 1937.
1905. Wilbur Wright pilots Wright Flyer III in a flight of 24 miles in 39 minutes, a world record that stood until 1908.
1910. Portugal overthrows its monarchy and declares itself a republic.
1919. A young Italian car mechanic and engineer named Enzo Ferrari takes part in his first car race, a hill climb in Parma, Italy. He finished fourth. In the mid-1920s, Ferrari retired from racing cars in order to pursue his first love: building them. In 1947, the first real Ferraris appeared on the market at last. That same year, Ferrari won the Rome Grand Prix, his first race as an independent car-maker. By the time he died in 1988, Ferrari cars had won more than 4,000 races.
1930. British Airship R101 crashes in France en route to India on its maiden voyage.
1937. President Franklin D. Roosevelt calls for a "quarantine" of aggressor nations.
1943. In World War II, 98 American POW's executed by Japanese forces on Wake Island.
1944. Canadian Air Force pilots shoot down the first German jet fighter over France in the Second World War..
1945. "Hollywood Black Friday" erupts when a six month strike by Hollywood set decorators turns into a bloody riot at the gates of Warner Brothers' studios in Burbank, California. The strikes helped the passage of the Taft-Hartley Act in 1947.
By October, money and patience was running low as some 300 strikers gathered at Warner Brothers' main gate on October 5, 1945. Temperatures were abnormally warm for the already hot LA summer. When non-strikers attempted to report for work at 6:00 in the morning, the barricades went up and tensions flared as several scabs attempted to run the strikers down and other cars were stopped and overturned.
Reinforcements arrived on both sides as the picket increased to some 1,000 people and Glendale and Los Angeles Police came to aid the Burbank Police and Warner Security attempting to maintain the peace. When more scab workers attempted to crash the gate, a general melee ensued as strikebreakers came at the pickets with chains, hammers, pipes, tear gas and night sticks while Warner security rained more tear gas and other objects down from the roofs of the buildings adjoining the entrance. Warner firefighters sprayed the pickets with fire hoses as CSU pickets hunkered down with their own white painted helmets. By the end of the day, some 300 police and sheriffs had been called to the scene and over 40 casualties were reported.
1948. The Ashgabat earthquake kills 110,000 in the Soviet Union. The Ashgabat earthquake, at a magnitude 7.3, struck near Ashgabat, Turkmenistan.
The earthquake caused extreme damage in Ashgabat and nearby villages, where almost all brick buildings collapsed, concrete structures were heavily damaged and freight trains were derailed. Many sources list the casualty total at 10,000, but a news release on December 9, 1988, advised that the correct death toll was 110,000. A 2007 report by the State News Agency of Turkmenistan gives a total number of up to 176,000.
1955. Disneyland Hotel opens to the public in Anaheim, California.
1962. In the UK, The Beatles release their first single, Love Me Do.
1964. Senator Gaylord Nelson (D-Wisconsin), disturbed by growing reports that the Johnson administration is preparing to escalate U.S. operations in Vietnam, states that Congress did not intend the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution to endorse escalation. The resolution had been passed on August 7 in response to what became known as the Gulf of Tonkin incident, in which North Vietnamese patrol boats fired on U.S. warships in the waters off North Vietnam on two separate occasions.
The resolution, which passed unanimously in the House of Representatives and with only two dissenting votes in the Senate, gave the president power to "take all necessary measures to repel an armed attack against the forces of the United States and to prevent further aggression." Johnson used the resolution as the basis for his escalation of the war. In 1966, Senator Wayne Morse (D-Oregon) would propose repealing the resolution, but there would be little support to do so at that time. However, as the war progressed, sentiment shifted and Congress repealed the resolution in 1970.
1970. In Montreal, Quebec, Canada, British Trade Commissioner James Cross is kidnapped by members of the FLQ terrorist group.
1974. Bombs planted by the Provisional Irish Republican Army (IRA) kill four British soldiers and one civilian in the Guildford pub bombings..
1974. American David Kunst completes the first round-the-world journey on foot, taking four years and 21 pairs of shoes to complete the 14,500-mile journey across the land masses of four continents. He explained the reasons for his epic trek: "I was tired of Waseca [his hometown in Minnesota], tired of my job, tired of a lot of little people who don't want to think, and tired of my wife."
1984. Marc Garneau becomes the first Canadian in space, aboard the Space Shuttle Challenger.
1986. Israeli secret nuclear weapons are exposed when the British newspaper The Sunday Times runs Mordechai Vanunu's story on its front page under the headline: "Revealed -- the secrets of Israel's nuclear arsenal."
1989. The Dalai Lama, the exiled religious and political leader of Tibet, is awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in recognition of his nonviolent campaign to end the Chinese domination of Tibet.
1991. An Indonesian military transport crashes after takeoff from Jakarta killing 137.
1999. The Ladbroke Grove rail crash in west London kills 31 people.
2000. Mass demonstrations in Belgrade lead to resignation of Serbian strongman Slobodan Milošević. These demonstrations are often called the Bulldozer Revolution.
2005. Defying the White House, the U.S. Senate votes 90-9 to approve an amendment that would prohibit the use of "cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment" against anyone in U.S. government custody.
2011. At least three people are killed and 22 injured after Yemeni Army troops shell opposition forces in the southern province of Taiz. Meanwhile, in eastern Saudi Arabia near the Persian Gulf, police open fire on protesters as public unrest intensifies.

Attachments

• gn1 ekaterina.jpg
    gn1 ekaterina.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 33
  • gn2 nikola.jpg
    gn2 nikola.jpg
    680.9 KB · Views: 33
  • gn3  paris.jpg
    gn3 paris.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 28
  • gn4 becka.jpg
    gn4 becka.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 29
  • gn5 Christelle.jpg
    gn5 Christelle.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 32
  • gn6.jpg
    gn6.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 30
1789. Women of Paris march to Versailles in the March on Versailles to confront Louis XVI about his refusal to promulgate the decrees on the abolition of feudalism, demand bread, and have the King and his court moved to Paris.
Many in the crowd unjustly blamed Queen Marie Antoinette for the lack of bread and gleefully sang songs about killing her. Fortunately, one of the king's courtiers, the young Duc de Fronsac, was in the city at the time and ran on foot through the woods to the palace to warn the queen of the rowdy crowd's deadly intentions. An emergency meeting was held to determine the king's response with Marie Antoinette once again repeating a plea that the royal family flee. Her husband, King Louis XVI, refused.
In the early hours of the morning, the mob broke into the palace. Two of the Royal bodyguard were massacred, their heads severed and stuck high on pikes. The queen and her two ladies-in-waiting only narrowly escaped with their lives through a secret passage way before the crowd burst in and ransacked her chambers.
The Women's March to Versailles was one of the turning points of the French Revolution; it showed that the peasants of the Third Estate were a force to be reckoned with.

Attachments

• women's march to versailles.jpg
    women's march to versailles.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 27
  • Women's_March_on_Versailles01.jpg
    Women's_March_on_Versailles01.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 30
1951. American actress Karen Allen is born in Carrollton, in rural central Illinois. She is most famous for her roles in the films National Lampoon's Animal House (1978), Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981), Starman (1984), and The Sandlot (1993). (See pictures.)

Attachments

• KarenAllen@Backfire-2.jpg
    KarenAllen@Backfire-2.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 34
  • karen allen.jpg
    karen allen.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 30
  • KarenAllen@UntilSeptember-3.jpg
    KarenAllen@UntilSeptember-3.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 29
  • KarenAllen1.jpg
    KarenAllen1.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 30
1969. The first episode of the comedy show Monty Python's Flying Circus airs on the BBC.

dying yours?

October 6 is the anniversary of a curse on a sports team, the execution of martyrs, a great fire, and the debut of the first "talkie."
105 BC. In the Battle of Arausio, the Cimbri inflict the heaviest defeat on the Roman army of Gnaeus Mallius Maximus.
Ranged against the migratory tribes of the Cimbri under Boiorix and the Teutoni were two Roman armies, commanded by the proconsul Quintus Servilius Caepio and consul Gnaeus Mallius Maximus. However, bitter differences between the commanders prevented the Roman armies from cooperating, with devastating results. Roman losses are quoted at up to 80,000 troops, as well as servants and camp followers. In terms of human lives lost, Arausio is among the most lethal battles in world history and the biggest Roman defeat.
69 BC. In the Battle of Tigranocerta, the forces of the Roman Republic led by Consul Lucius Licinius Lucullus defeat the army of the Kingdom of Armenia led by King Tigranes the Great. His capital city of Tigranocerta was lost to Rome as a result.
68 BC. In the Battle of Artaxata, Lucullus again defeats Tigranes the Great of Armenia. Though the Romans were again victorious, the long years the army had spent campaigning and a perceived lack of booty among the Roman Legionaries led to a mutiny of the army. They refused to march any further but agreed to defend key positions from attack. Lucullus was then replaced by the Roman Senate as commander of the army by Pompey the Great.
404. Byzantine Empress Eudoxia has her seventh and last pregnancy who ends in a miscarriage. She is left bleeding and dies of an infection shortly afterwards.
1582. Due to the implementation of the Gregorian calendar, this day is skipped in Italy, Poland, Portugal and Spain.
1600. Jacopo Peri's Euridice, the earliest surviving opera, premieres in Florence, signifying the beginning of the Baroque Period.
1683. William Penn brings 13 German immigrant families to the colony of Pennsylvania, marking the first German people to immigrate to America. By the time of the American Revolution, there were 100,000 Germans in Pennsylvania, a third of the total population at the time.
1777. Sailing up the Hudson River to come to the aid of General Charles Cornwallis and the besieged British army at the Battle of Saratoga, General Henry Clinton and 3,000 British troops stop to launch an attack on Forts Clinton and Montgomery, in what is now Orange County, New York, in the early morning hours.
American Brigadier General George Clinton and his brother, Brigadier General James Clinton, were faced with defending Fort Montgomery and Fort Clinton with a combined military force of approximately 700 men. Outnumbered by the British 3-1, the American force put up a courageous defense of both forts.
Despite the loss of both forts and an overwhelming number of troops, though, the Americans were able to delay the British long enough that they were unable to aid Cornwallis at the Battle of Saratoga. The decisive American victory at Saratoga persuaded King Louis XVI of France that the Patriots were worthy of his support -- assistance that eventually helped the Americans win the war.
1789. In the French Revolution, Louis XVI returns to Paris from Versailles after being confronted by the Parisian women on October 5.
1849. The 13 Martyrs of Arad are executed after the Hungarian war of independence. The 13 Martyrs of Arad were the thirteen Hungarian rebel generals who were executed in the city of Arad, in Transylvania (presently in Romania), after the Hungarian Revolution (1848-1849) was ended by troops of the Austrian Empire and Imperial Russia, who reestablished Habsburg rule over the area. The execution was ordered by the Austrian general, Julius Freiherr von Haynau.
1854. The Great fire of Newcastle and Gateshead starts shortly after midnight. The Great Fire was a tragic and spectacular series of events starting on Friday October 6, 1854, in which a substantial amount of property in the two North East of England towns was destroyed in a series of fires and an explosion which killed 53 and injured hundreds.
The force of the explosion was immense, and heavy debris was thrown as much as three quarters of a mile from the seat of the explosion. Huge granite blocks forming the tramway for carts outside the warehouse were flung over the church for two and three hundred yards into neighboring streets and buildings.
1863. Confederate guerilla leader William Clarke Quantrill continues his bloody rampage through Kansas when he attacks Baxter Springs. Although he failed to capture the stronghold, his men massacred a Union detachment that happened to be traveling nearby.
Some of the bloodiest chapters of the American Civil War were written in Kansas and Missouri, where irregular combatants fought. In August 1863, Quantrill and 450 Confederate partisans sacked the abolitionist town of Lawrence, Kansas. They murdered 150 men and set the town on fire before escaping the pursuing Union cavalry. After destroying Lawrence, Quantrill and his men noticed that the area around northwestern Missouri and northeastern Kansas was becoming more crowded with Yankee troops. Quantrill started to drift south, intent on wintering within the friendly confines of Confederate Texas.
On October 6, Quantrill and his men happened upon a Federal post at Baxter Springs, near the Missouri and Indiana Territory borders. Defending the post were parts of the 3rd Wisconsin Cavalry and the 2nd Kansas Colored Infantry. Quantrill attacked suddenly, surprising the Yankees, who suffered heavy casualties before barricading themselves inside the earth-and-timber fortress. While Quantrill's men debated the merits of another attack on the post, another Union force appeared from the north. It was General James G. Blunt, commander of the forces in Kansas, who was in the process of moving his headquarters from Fort Scott, Kansas, to Fort Smith, Arkansas. Blunt spotted Quantrill's men but mistook them for Union troops because many were dressed in captured Yankee uniforms. Many of Blunt's 100 men were clerks and office staffers. Quantrill attacked, and the scene turned into a massacre. The Yankees quickly scattered, and Quantrill's partisans hunted them down.
Seventy Union troops were killed, but Blunt escaped to the safety of Fort Smith. However, he was removed from command shortly thereafter. Quantrill and his men continued south to Texas, raiding homesteads and attacking Native American communities along the way.
1866. The Reno gang carries out the first robbery of a moving train in the U.S., making off with over $10,000 from an Ohio & Mississippi train in Jackson County, Indiana. Prior to this innovation in crime, holdups had taken place only on trains sitting at stations or freight yards.
This new method of sticking up moving trains in remote locations low on law enforcement soon became popular in the American West, where the recently constructed transcontinental and regional railroads made attractive targets. The sparsely populated landscape provided bandits with numerous isolated areas perfect for stopping trains, as well as plenty of places to hide from the law. Railroad owners eventually got wise and fought back, protecting their trains' valuables with large safes, armed guards and even specially fortified boxcars. Consequently, by the late 1800s, robbing trains had turned into an increasingly tough and dangerous job.
As for the Reno gang, which consisted of the four Reno brothers and their associates, their reign came to an end in 1868 when they all were finally captured after committing a series of train robberies and other criminal offenses. In December of that year, a mob stormed the Indiana jail where the bandits were being held and meted out vigilante justice, hanging brothers Frank, Simeon and William Reno (their brother John had been caught earlier and was already serving time in a different prison) and fellow gang member Charlie Anderson.
1889. Thomas Edison shows his first motion picture.
1908. Austria annexes Bosnia and Herzegovina.
1910. Eleftherios Venizelos is elected Prime Minister of Greece for the first of seven times.
1926. On October 6, 1926, Yankee slugger Babe Ruth hits a record three homers against the St. Louis Cardinals in the fourth game of the World Series. The Yanks won the game 10-5, but despite Ruth’s unprecedented performance, they lost the championship in the seventh game. In 1928, in the fourth game of another Yanks-Cards World Series, Ruth tied his own record, knocking three more pitches out of the same park.
1927. The Jazz Singer opens; it is the first prominent talking movie. The Jazz Singer is an American musical film. The first feature-length motion picture with synchronized dialogue sequences, its release heralded the commercial ascendance of the "talkies" and the decline of the silent film era.
As conversion of theaters to sound was still in its early stages, the film played in a silent version in most of those venues outside the major cities that it reached in the first months of its run. The sound version was not released nationally until early the following year.
1939. The last Polish army is defeated in World War II.
1961. President John F. Kennedy, speaking on civil defense, advises American families to build bomb shelters to protect them from atomic fallout in the event of a nuclear exchange with the Soviet Union. Kennedy also assured the public that the U.S. civil defense program would soon begin providing such protection for every American. Only one year later, true to Kennedy's fears, the world hovered on the brink of full-scale nuclear war when the Cuban Missile Crisis erupted over the USSR's placement of nuclear missiles in Cuba. During the tense 13-day crisis, some Americans prepared for nuclear war by buying up canned goods and completing last-minute work on their backyard bomb shelters.
1966. LSD is declared illegal in the United States.
1973. Egypt launches a coordinated attack with Syria against Israel leading to the Yom Kippur War.
1976. New Premier Hua Guofeng orders the arrest of the Gang of Four and associates and ends the Cultural Revolution in the People's Republic of China. The Gang of Four was the name given to a political faction composed of four Chinese Communist Party officials. They came to prominence during the Cultural Revolution (1966–76) and were subsequently charged with a series of treasonous crimes. The members consisted of Mao Zedong's last wife Jiang Qing, the leading figure of the group, and her close associates Zhang Chunqiao, Yao Wenyuan, and Wang Hongwen. The Gang of Four effectively controlled the power organs of the Communist Party of China through the latter stages of the Cultural Revolution.
The Gang of Four, together with disgraced Communist general Lin Biao, were labeled the two major "counter-revolutionary forces" of the Cultural Revolution and officially blamed by the Chinese government for the worst excesses of the societal chaos that ensued during the ten years of turmoil. Their downfall in a coup d'état on October 6, 1976, a mere month after Mao's death, brought about major celebrations on the streets of Beijing and marked the end of a turbulent political era in China.
1979. Pope John Paul II becomes the first pontiff to visit the White House.
1981. Egyptian President Anwar al-Sadat is assassinated at a military review by Islamic extremists in the army. While passing the reviewing stand, soldiers opened fire, killing the president and other officials.
1985. PC Keith Blakelock is murdered as riots erupt in the Broadwater Farm suburb of London. The violence broke out after a black woman died of heart failure during a police search of her home, and took place against a backdrop of unrest in several English cities and a breakdown of the relationship between the police and local black communities.
Blakelock, who had joined the police five years earlier, had been assigned on the night of his death to a unit of 10 constables and a sergeant, who were dispatched to protect firefighters. When the officers were forced back by rioters, Blakelock stumbled and fell, and was surrounded by a mob of around 50 people. He received over 40 stabbing and cutting injuries, inflicted by machetes or similar, and the penetration of a six-inch-long knife into his neck. The murder remains unsolved.
1995. 51 Pegasi was discovered to be the first major star apart from the Sun to have a planet orbiting around it.
2002. Opus Dei founder Josemaría Escrivá is canonized.
2007. Jason Lewis completes the first human-powered circumnavigation of the globe. All told, it took 13 years of hiking, biking, and paddling. Lewis had estimated it would take two and a half years but he was delayed by things like a crocodile attack in Africa.
2011. South Korea rejects North Korea's demands that two citizens from the north who crossed the border be repatriated.

Elsewhere, Tropical Storm Jova forms off the Pacific coast of Mexico.

Meanwhile, the trial of Ichirō Ozawa, a powerful faction leader in the ruling Democratic Party of Japan, over a political funding scandal begins today in Japan.

Attachments

• gn1 jana cova.jpg
    gn1 jana cova.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 28
  • gn2.jpg
    gn2.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 24
  • gn3 isa.jpg
    gn3 isa.jpg
    357.6 KB · Views: 28
  • gn4.jpg
    gn4.jpg