Minnesota Moore and the Emperors' Treasure

Go to CruxDreams.com
As they were lifted into the ambulance on stretchers, Barb turned to Andrija and said, “Tell Dr. Windar, ‘Nike! Nike! Nenikekiam!**’”
This was all about running shoes?:confused:
Rescues at the very last minute are not only classic but always fun, aren’t they?
Sort of a specialty of yours, Moore...
Antonio immediately told the police where to find David.
They didn't torture him to make him talk? #sad:(
The usually business-obsessed Dean
I guess that's one way of calling his disciplinary meetings with Barb in his office:rolleyes:
He noted ruefully the hospital costs for the two girls
Doesn't Croatia have universal health insurance? Calling Bernie Sanders...
Windar returned to Split and checked into his hotel (really little more than a hostel)
You see Moore. If your boss can stay in a simple place, so can you...

Well done Bob, I didn't spot it - though I did spot PrPr had turned Claus into Clause
and thought vaguely about Santa ...

Somewhat like a modern, high-tech lacunae. I pasted in the phrase from Dickens, then pasted Claus over Scrooge. But I'm having troubles with how my mouse highlights and it missed the final e, leaving it on the end of Claus. Sort of like an electronic movable nu.

Last edited:
Well done Bob, I didn't spot it - though I did spot PrPr had turned Claus into Clause
and thought vaguely about Santa ...
Oh, you won't get me there, Eulalia. I made sure when I agreed to publish here that cruxforums has no sanity clause. P. Pulp

Chapter 42 May 11, 2019 Press Conference

Eighteen days after the discovery of the treasure, a press conference was held in the temple-like, grand court of the Hrvatska Narodna Banka (Croatian Central Bank), in Zagreb, to announce the history-making discovery to the world. The presentation was made jointly by Nina Žalac, the Minister of Culture of the Croatian government, Boris Visco, Governor of the Bank, Dr. Andrija Novak of the Hrvatsko Arheološko Društvo, and Dean Windar and Professor Moore for Minnesota University. The rest of Barb’s team sat at a table to one side, Windar’s new members behind, and basked in the reflected glory.
HNB-foto-2-1024x683 Croatian National Bank.jpg
On a table to the other side, guarded by six heavily armed Croatian special forces members, were just a few of the more spectacular works of art in the treasure.
The assembled press represented all major History publications as well as prime news organizations from around the world. They sat in rapt attention as Dr. Moore lead them through the whole adventure, from the discovery of the manuscript in the Bodleian just five weeks previous, to the unearthing of the treasure.
Dr. Novak made appropriate comments about the treasure, it’s place in Croatian cultural history and Diocletian’s palace as well as teasing the upcoming revealing of the triclinium as a central clue to solving the mystery of the treasure. The Ministrica kulture answered briefly concerning the arrests and referred more questions to the state prosecutor’s office. She did state that a board was being assembled to adjudicate the ownership of the find. Both the Croatian officials were effusive with praise for Dr. Moore and her team.
Barbara finished with this.
im-hot-for-teacher-227-1.jpg
“I want to end by mentioning the great respect that I have gained though this process for the Emperor Diocletian. One of the greatest of all the Emperors. He came to power at the end of the so-called “Crisis of the Third Century” when the entire Empire was on the brink of total collapse. He put it back on sound footing and reorganized every aspect of governance, most importantly recognizing the need to split East and West into manageable units. Then, at the peak of his power, he laid aside the Imperial Purple to retire to raising cabbages and tending to the goats he had loved in his youth. It is only because of the overwhelming reputation of Constantine the Great and the hostility of the Christian church to their former persecutor, that Diocletian is not much better known. I truly hope this discovery will restore him to the honors he deserves.”

When the floor was opened for questions, Jon Smithie, editor of Medieval Times, stood up. Dr. Moore felt grudging respect for Jon. While his magazine was aimed at a popular audience, like BBC History, or American History Magazine, Jon had always shown great care for accuracy in reporting the nuances of historical research.
“Dr. Moore,” started Jon. “The discovery you have announced today is truly spectacular. The fabulous nature of the treasure along with the historical significance of the tie to Diocletian is almost beyond measure. You and your team have achieved a near miracle here!”
“Thank You, Jon.” Barbara wanted to get that in while she was ahead. She could sense a hard question coming.
“But, you have titled this presentation, ‘The Emperors’ Treasure’, and referred to it several times that way. The connection to Diocletian is unquestionable, but it seems you are also claiming a place for the legend of Frederick Barbarossa having rediscovered it. Other than the old unsubstantiated rumors and the manuscript of Brother Nickolas, is there any concrete evidence of Barbarossa actually being in Split, let alone rediscovering the treasure? I accept your remarkable authentication of the manuscript, but would point out that we don’t even know if Nickolas was just telling a story of actually seeing the treasure. True, he clearly visited the triclinium. Do you have solid evidence for saying Frederick I or Nickolas actually found the treasure?”
Jon sat down and the room feel silent for a few moments as every eye turned to the professor. Windar sat with a slight smirk on his face. He didn’t know the answer, but he knew Dr. Moore never left any loose ends before an announcement. She would have the answer.

Also cataloged were fifty bags of gold Roman coins estimated to weigh in total 1,500 kg! Just the bullion scrap value of those coins was phenomenal – over $45 million! But far beyond that was the historical significance.
View attachment 719873View attachment 719874View attachment 719875

Now you're talking my language! Classical coins, nice.

As they sat and chatted idly, Winder couldn’t get out of his mind the image of Moore and Messeline tied, naked, to their beds!

This too is my language!
spreadeagle 3.jpgspreadeagle 2.jpg

The dean also noted a small golden bust being removed which did not look at all Roman.

I know who that is :D
A very Holy Roman.

Nice bit of historically themed adventure, PrPr

Last edited:
“Thank You, Jon.” Barbara wanted to get that in while she was ahead. She could sense a hard question coming.

I always knew when Jon had a hard on ... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Windar sat with a slight smirk on his face.

I’ve seen that smirk before...usually as I am straightening up and gingerly inspecting my bare smarting ass after having been ordered to lean over his desk to take a series of strokes as punishment for exceeding yet another budget. :confused:

This too is my language!

Not mine. But to each his or her own ... :p

Windar’s new members behind
Windar has a new member or a new behind? Either way, it's probably an improvement over the old ones...
prime news organizations from around the world.
Was that guy from the Crux Chronicles there?
tending to the goats he had loved in his youth
I hope he didn't love them too much...
I’ve seen that smirk before...usually as I am straightening up and gingerly inspecting my bare smarting ass after having been ordered to lean over his desk to take a series of strokes as punishment for exceeding yet another budget. :confused:
If you're so smart, how come you keep doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result, Dr. Moore?

Windar has a new member or a new behind? Either way, it's probably an improvement over the old ones...

Was that guy from the Crux Chronicles there?

I hope he didn't love them too much...

If you're so smart, how come you keep doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result, Dr. Moore?

How come you don’t just give me bigger budgets?

Chapter 43 May 11, 2019 The Final Proof

“I’m glad you asked that, Jon,” Moore said. “You have raised one of the very key points of this whole story. Remember in Brother Nickolas’ manuscript, when he ‘claims” to have viewed the treasure in its hiding place. He says it looked like the golden view of heaven? He also said something I thought, when I first read it, was very strange. He said, ‘faciem imperatoris vidi,’ I saw the face of the Emperor, in the midst of the treasure.”
“May I have the next slide please?”
A picture of a golden bust appeared on the screen.

AKG1517984.jpg
“Many of you will be familiar this this object,” Barbara said. “It is called the Cappenberg Head of Barbarossa. It is a gilded Bronze reliquary, which Barbarossa gave to his godfather, Count Otto of Cappenberg in 1171. When Otto joined the monastery at Cappenberg, he gave it the head, describing it in his deed of the gift as “made in the likeness of the emperor’. It has resided for many centuries in the Stiftskirche Cappenberg in the town of Selm in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany.”
“It was reported reliably at the time,” she continued, “that a second, identical head was retained by the Emperor himself. That head disappeared after 1185 and has been presumed lost to the refiner’s fire.”
Dr. Moore paused a moment; she was an outstanding lecturer and knew the value of a dramatic pause. He reached under the presentation table and brought up a box. Putting on silk examining gloves, she removed the top and brought out a small, gilded object. It was an exact replica of the head pictured on the screen! A collective gasp was heard in the room.

Gold-head-Barb-768x1024.jpg
“This head, indistinguishable from the Cappenberg Head, was found in the midst of the treasure. Next slide please.”
The slide showed a faded paper with a dark scrawl of writing on it.
“This was found rolled up inside the head. We need to get this properly protected and restored before it can be shown in public, but the writing is clearly visible. The paper and ink, on first examination, appear to be from the 12th century.”
Another gasp.
“Next slide please.” The following Latin text appeared:

Hoc signaculum Frederico hic positum est
gratia Dei Rex Germanorum coronato
et Sacri Imperii Imperator Romani
sanctitate suae Papa Hadriane IV uncto.
Die festae sanctae Richardis reginae hoc factum est
anno ab incarnatione Domini Nostri MCIXC
Victorino ejusdem Imperatoris ministro testato.

“It seems to be in authentic 12th century Latin. A quick translation reads:
This small token was placed here by Frederick,
by the grace of God, crowned King of the Germans,
and Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire,
anointed by his holiness Pope Adrian IV.
This was done on the feast-day of St. Richgardis, Queen,
in the year of the incarnation of Our Lord, 1189.
Witnessed by Victorinus, servant of the Emperor aforesaid.”

In the stunned silence you could hear a pin drop.
“An effective testament to the authenticity of this note is the fact that Frederick, when he was Duke of Swabia, took Richardis of Swabia, as his patroness saint. Her feast day is September 18th, which fits the chronology on Brother Nickolas’ manuscript as well as the record of the progress of the Third Crusade through Croatia and Hungary.”
“This must be what Nickolas meant by seeing the Emperor’s face. And, who but Frederick would leave this valuable object in with the treasure and take not a coin away? I think we have proven that we are looking at a treasure stored by one of the greatest Roman Emperors and rediscovered by one of the greatest Holy Roman Emperors and viewed by the humble friar Nickolas. It is indeed, the Emperors’ Treasure!”
After a moment of silence, Jon stood and began to applaud; quickly followed by a standing ovation from the whole room, including the others on the dais.

Two hours later, as the reception had broken up, Windar and Barb were standing together, sharing glasses of Riesling.
Barb noticed at the other end of the bar, Messaline was having what appeared to be an intimate conversation with a woman who was one of Windar’s “reinforcements.” It was clear that they were getting on very well. She was a striking woman, tall, strong, her dark-hair contrasting with Messa’s blonde. Dr. Moore asked about the woman.
“She just joined us a few weeks ago as an assistant professor of French History. Very talented and a strong, take charge type,” said Windar. “Judith R.”
“Oh,” said Barb, genuinely pleased to see Messa making a new friend.
Claus commented, “Amazing speed for you and your team, Dr. Moore. You estimated two to three months and its only five weeks since you first called me about the manuscript.”
“Well, my team worked incredibly well. Even David.”
“What will happen to him?”
“He’ll serve prison time, certainly, but I have asked the authorities to go a easy on him. He was misled by others and never intended to harm us. He was desperate for funds for his family.”
“You have too soft a heart, Barb.”
Barb lowered her eyes and said nothing.
“I am glad that finishing so quickly will keep us to less than 60% of budget. It’ll help make up for having to replace the unpaid part of Antonio’s pledge. But you did manage to spend at a good rate for even a short time. Some of these hotel and meal bills are wildly out of line, Professor!”
“We got the job done and you’ve got publicity worth 20 times what we spent!”
“I can’t argue that. I’ve already had inquiries from a certain agent who wants to represent us for the movie rights. This could well end up being a Hollywood blockbuster!”
“Oh, spare me, Dean,” pleaded Dr. Moore. This was serious history, not some lurid adventure!”
“You can’t always avoid the publicity of something like this, Barbara. However, that is a while off. With the project finished, you will be coming back before your two-month leave is over, won’t you?”
“No, I don’t think so,” said Barb with a coy smile. “I have some research to do in Britain.”
“Oh,” said Windar with a wink. “Looking into some ancient ruins?”
“Not ancient, nor ruins, just well-seasoned,” replied Barb. “You know what the French say, ‘C'est dans les vieux pots que l'on fait la bonne soupe!’"

Despite Dr. Moore’s lack of interest, it seems Dean Windar has already started negotiations with a Hollywood producer for a pilot script for a movie he tentatively has titled, “The Dean, the Professor, and the Golden Treasure. He even has a proposed 1950’s-style publicity poster prepared with himself, as the action hero, working undercover as Brother Claus, rescuing Barbara, with an extremely low décolletage, from certain death.
Mans-Life-October-1965.jpg

The Mystery Challenge

The adventure of the Emperor’s Gold is now complete. Two more chapters follow wrapping up personal items. Tomorrow’s chapter will also discuss how Barbara knew where to find the treasure. Do you know how?
There was a key to looking at the triclinium to find the secret. Clues were dropped throughout the book. Can you find them and say how they relate to the treasure?

Dr. Moore paused a moment; she was an outstanding lecturer and knew the value of a dramatic pause.

As well as the value of a short very tight skirt and a tastefully selected pair of heels. ;)

“You have too soft a heart, Barb.”

Among other body parts ... ? :rolleyes:

it seems Dean Windar has already started negotiations with a Hollywood producer for a pilot script for a movie he tentatively has titled, “The Dean, the Professor, and the Golden Treasure. He even has a proposed 1950’s-style publicity poster prepared with himself, as the action hero, working undercover as Brother Claus, rescuing Barbara, with an extremely low décolletage, from certain death.

Geeze .... :facepalm:

She was a striking woman, tall, strong, her dark-hair contrasting with Messa’s blonde. Dr. Moore asked about the woman.
“She just joined us a few weeks ago as an assistant professor of French History. Very talented and a strong, take charge type,” said Windar. “Judith R.”
Hum, Whip'professor too and she's smaller than I ... Anyway, she's not professor at all but agriculture'engineer ...:D

Attachments

• Judith.jpg
    Judith.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 35
Back
Top Bottom