Minnesota Moore and the Emperors' Treasure

Go to CruxDreams.com
Now now, Windar. I think you are jealous that Barb is the whole show here and you are left out.
Never fear, you make an appearance in the next episode.
Let me guess:

1. She is displeased with the hotels the University will pay for and is looking for a sugar daddy distinguished gentleman to spring for something a bit more to her taste.
2. She got caught taking the files from the library and needs someone with Scotland Yard connections to make the charges go away. We can do that, Barb, but you should be very grateful afterwards:nusee:
3. She needs someone to chase away those hot-blooded Balkan men. I dunno, my ancestors left there, likely for good reason, and I'm not that anxious to find out why:eek:

1. She is displeased with the hotels the University will pay for and is looking for a sugar daddy distinguished gentleman to spring for something a bit more to her taste.
Really. Since when did Barbara limit herself to what the University was "willing" to spring for?
2. She got caught taking the files from the library and needs someone with Scotland Yard connections to make the charges go away. We can do that, Barb, but you should be very grateful afterwards
If so, she doesn't need you. She can just wiggle her tight little at Geoffrey and he would take care of the Library even as he got a new battery for his pacemaker.
3. She needs someone to chase away those hot-blooded Balkan men. I dunno, my ancestors left there, likely for good reason, and I'm not that anxious to find out why
Need to chase away hot-blooded Balkan men? After all these years you don't know her any better than that?

Last edited:
Chapter 5 April 5, 2018

At 9:00 AM (CDT; 3 PM in Oxford) Dean Claus Windar’s phone rang.
Madiosi-2019-182-Dean Windar.jpg
“Good Morning, Dean, it’s Moore.”

“You mean I have the privilege of speaking to the great Professor Moore? How are you doing, Barb?”

After a few minutes of small talk, Barbara got to the point.

“Dean, you know how I’ve talked about taking a little time off after I got this Journal Article put to bed?”

“Yes, I know. I suppose you need time to put old Geoffrey to bed and nurse him?” Windar knew about the relationship. Truth be told, he was very happy for both of them. He had known Geoffrey for twenty-five years and had never met a nicer person in all academia. And Barb was so driven by her work and the need to compete, that none of her peers stood a chance of getting in her pants. The two were perfect together and he smiled thinking of them as a couple.

“He can run circles around fat, lazy administrators like you, Windar, in bed or out!”

“Alright, alright, Professor Moore, what do you want?”

“First, I’m going to need two or three months off from teaching.”

“No problem. You’ve put in much more than your share in the classroom. You’ve earned the time.”

“Second, I need funding for an expedition to the Balkans during that time. Budget should be around $500,000.”

Windar dropped his coffee mug and swore as the hot liquid singed his crotch. “FUCK!

“I knew you would not like a budget problem,” complained Moore. “But I think that language is unprofessional and uncalled for in response to my serious request.”

Fuck, fuck, fuck! No sorry, fuck! I spilled hot coffee on my lap. I’ll have to call you back.”

By the time Windar called back, 20 minutes later, the conversation went well. Barb laid out the story of the manuscript, the purposed research in the Balkans and, most emphatically, the benefits to the University. After a little back and forth, Dr. Moore agreed to a “flexible” budget of $400,000.

“I don’t suppose I could convince the perfectionist Dr. Moore into just publishing the manuscript and receiving the extensive plaudits that would garner?” ventured the Dean.

“If we can authenticate this find,” she said. “It will be the biggest splash in the history community since Heinrich Schliemann bull-dozed his way into Troy! Do you really think I’d settle for less? And besides, the publicity for the University will be worth its weight in gold, Emperors’ Gold!”

“How long did it take you to come up with that one, Moore?” asked Windar. But he was convinced. “You’ll bust our budget, Barb, but I’ll stand right behind you.” He agreed to contact other professors in her Department to recruit graduate student volunteers to keep the budget down to go on the trip. He also had some well-heeled donors in mind for the funding.

“Well, it’s seems we might have to rename Minnesota Moore to Balkan Barb,” he laughed. Barb who never liked her nickname, wasn’t amused.

Last edited by a moderator:
$ 400,000 to travel from the UK to Croatia or wherever the hell this King Diocletian's palace was? Are you taking Air Force One, for Pete's sake? By the way, who is this Pete? Does the Dorchester have a branch in Split? And speaking of Split, since the University is footing the bill, any gold you find belongs to us. You'll get your Split as provided in the small print of your employment contract And just to make sure you aren't hiding any of it, I will be conducting a search of your tight little...

Windar dropped his coffee mug and swore as the hot liquid singed his crotch. “FUCK!

I thought it was the sight of my tight little that did that to him :rolleyes:

“You’ll bust our budget, Barb, but I’ll stand right behind you.”

Which is where he usually positions himself to do what was mentioned above ... ;)

t And just to make sure you aren't hiding any of it, I will be conducting a search of your tight little

Sigh. Show me the desk so I can bend over, bare it and get this over with ... be gentle, please. :facepalm:

Last edited:
No, there is no Dorchester. The best is the Vestibul Palace for € 250 for a suit. It lays within the Diokletan-Palace, an area reserved for gods at roman times. Seems adequate for a history professor?
View attachment 706952

It is ... as long as it's not owned by you know who! ;)

No, there is no Dorchester. The best is the Vestibul Palace for € 250 for a suit. It lays within the Diokletan-Palace, an area reserved for gods at roman times. Seems adequate for a history professor?
View attachment 706952
How about the Hotel Diocletian?room_detail_1.jpg

Chapter 6 April 5, 2019

Later that day, Barbara and Geoffrey sat at a conference table in the Library to plan out the project.
“The manuscript clearly claims to have been written by Franciscans in Croatia/Dalmatia,.” said Barb. “We will need to comb the records of the monasteries there to try to find a connection.”
Geoff said, “If you start with just the monasteries that were around in 1180 to 1400 that still have records, there are only four.”
“How do you know that, Geoff?”
“I refereed a paper 16 years ago that surveyed the monasteries in Central Europe before 1500. I remember those four in Croatia.”
“Sixteen years ago? In a survey paper? Geeze!”
“Yes. There’s the Abbey in Topusko, completed in 1233, the first Cistercian monastery in Croatia. The building was destroyed in 1558 by the Ottoman Turks, but many of the records remain, I believe.”
“You believe?”
“I seem to remember that, yes. Then there’s Kutjevo Abbey, also known as Gotó (Latin: Vallis honesta de Gotho) another Cistercian monastery, founded in 1232 as a daughter-house of Zirc Abbey in Hungary, of the filiation of Clairvaux. The Cistercians planted the vineyards, which are still cultivated today. After the Turkish attack of 1521 (or 1529) the monastery was dissolved and subsequently destroyed. Again, most of the library records remain.”
“Turkish attack of 1521 or 1529?”
“Yes, there is disagreement in the manuscripts. Then there is the Franciscan Church and Monastery in Dubrovnik, Croatia. It’s a large complex belonging to the Order of the Friars Minor. It consists of a monastery, a church, a library and a pharmacy. The monastery was built in 1360.”
“Finally, there is the Monastery of St. Francis Assisi in Zadar, dating back to the 13th century. The monastery is held by the Franciscan Province of Saint Jerome. The monastery, along with a church of the same name, was built around 1221.”
“And you really remembered all that off the top of your head”
“Yes?”
“I love you, you old weirdo!”
“Thanks, I guess. Perhaps I should mention the other seven that have been destroyed or abandoned and whose records are not known?”
“Why not,” sighed Barb.

Back
Top Bottom