Minnesota Moore and the Emperors' Treasure

Go to CruxDreams.com
Diokletan-Palace, an area reserved for gods at roman times. Seems adequate for a history professor?
Dr. Barbara Moore, Williams Professor of Medieval History is not JUST a history professor!!:mad: She's Minnesota Moore!tenor.gif

Rievaulx-Abbey-1024x409 Abbey in Topusko.jpgTopusko Abby
Kutjevo_01.jpgf_kutjevo_2.jpgKutjevo Abbey and vineyards. Abbey building is 18th Century, built on foundations of Medieval Abbey.
Dubrovnik,_Franziskanerkloster,_Kreuzgang_IMG_8183.jpgDobrovnik Abbey
Zadar_Motivi_razniMonastery of St. Francis Assisi in Zadar.jpgMonastery of St. Francis Assisi in Zadar

Last edited:
Chapter 7 6:00AM BST April 6, 2019

Up with the dawn the next morning, Barbara Moore cuddled in the corner of the plush sectional in Geoffrey’s sitting room drinking a cup of coffee (Geoff hated it, but kept good beans for grinding when Barb was around.) and looking at her laptop. She wore her favorite ( but not for Minnesota winters) sleepwear, a Minnesota Vikings tee and a tiny cotton kini. She knew it drove Geoffrey crazy when he saw her in it. The man could get it up pretty well for a Septuagenarian! God, she loved the “old dear.” Every day she was fascinated by his knowledge and wooed by his gentle, caring ways. Not to mention his excellent manners in the bedroom!

But enough sensual daydreaming! She had work to do! Barb opened the file on the laptop that she had loaded at the Library yesterday. In addition to being her lover, Geoffrey Chaucer was a valuable research resource. He has set his best archivist from the Library’s Digital Imaging Unit, to photographing the manuscript. Using broad spectrum argon-halogen lighting and photosensors extending into the near-infrared, he had produced images where the faded ink almost leapt from the page. Barb had loaded these on her laptop before the conservators had removed the manuscript for cleaning and preservation.

“Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam et in memoriam Beati Francisci, ego, frater Nicholas, meam collectionis aureae Frederico I Imperatore effossa scientiam exhibeo”

Dr, Moore loved the grand language and modest persona of Medieval manuscripts.

“To the Greater Glory of God and in memory of Blessed Francis, I, brother Nickolas, set forth my knowledge of the golden horde unearthed by Emperor Frederick I.”

Brother Nickolas goes on to state, that in the year 1189, he was living his life dedicated to God in a monastery in a part of Croatia. To the astonishment of the monks, the train of the Holy Roman emperor, Frederick I Barbarossa came to the monastery. In fact, it was a rather modest train with only about 30 souls according to Nickolas. They stayed for two nights, enjoying all the hospitality the abbot and monks could supply. These holy men were very honored to host the Emperor chosen by God and anointed by the Pope, himself!

The second day, the Emperor and a smaller picked contingent, left to ride West to the coast, returning very late that night. The third day the company moved on to the East to rejoin the main body of the Third Crusade marching to liberate the Holy Land.

Brother Nickolas relates that some of the Emperors entourage indulged rather too well in the monks’ excellent blackberry wine, loosening their tongues. After swearing the monks to secrecy, they told of following their master to the coast where the ancient palace of the Roman Emperor Diocletian was still standing. Using his Crusader Cloak and a special letter from the Pope, Frederick had gotten help from some locals. They had led him to what seemed a dead end. An empty room in the ruins that was reputed to hold the treasure. All were discouraged except Frederick and his advisor, Victorinus, a scholar of ancient times. The two of them returned alone later that day with torches and examined the walls for over an hour. Then Frederick led a select group of his men to the hills above the seaside town. They returned after dark and the whole group set off together for the monastery.

One of that select group was among those who imbibed too much and he dropped subtle hints to where they had been that mysterious day. The monks, dedicated to the love of Christ, honored their vows to these men and never told a soul.

When the Emperor had drowned along with all his comites (medieval expression coming from Latin, meaning close companions, sworn to protect their leader with their lives) in Turkey, the whole German nation mourned. An Arthurian style legend grew up around him. The Kyffhäuserdenkmal was erected in 1890–96 at the site of medieval Kyffhausen Castle near Bad Frankenhausen. The monument features a 6.5-metre-tall (21 ft) sandstone figure of Barbarossa depicting the king in the mountain legend, which held that the emperor was sleeping under the Kyffhäuser Mountain and someday would rise again when Germany needed his leadership.

When brother Nickolas heard that the Emperor had drowned along with all his comites from the Dalmatian excursion, his curiosity overwhelmed him. He would honor his oath of silence and this meant that Diocletian’s treasure would be lost again. But he had to see the golden horde for himself first.

Nickolas describes in his manuscript how he got leave from the monastery and went to the coast, following the descriptions given by Frederick’s men. He found the half-buried room and spent two days trying to find what Frederick and Victorinus had found. And he did! He did not tell the reader what he found, but he says he then knew where to go. He was able to locate the treasure. Nickolas was overwhelmed at his first sight of the fabulous store of gold! He didn’t describe it in detail. He just said, it must have been much like what the blessed behold when they first enter the golden gates of heaven! Cryptically, he made a reference to seeing Emperor Frederick’s face among the hoard.

Nickolas concludes his manuscript here. He promised that he would never repeat the secret, and he had not spoken it. He did write down these hints, and in his final words, he says he will place the manuscript where it will be safe for as long as the treasure has been safe since Diocletian’s time.

Barb closed her laptop and looked out at the sunny Oxford morning. She calculated that from Diocletian’s death to Nickolas’ manuscript was about 880 years. From then until now was about 830 years. Nickolas had come pretty close to his goal!

thumb.jpgLooks comfy doesn't it?
specular.jpgHigh Tech photo documentation
04601101.jpgA redacted and blurred image of Brother Nickolas' writing
fa6c22da9194a427b48f1a62224bf328.jpgDeath of Barbarossa. This has him grabbing his left arm, following the supposition that he suffered a heart attack (he was 78) causing his drowning.
Monument_barbarossa (1).jpgKing under the mountain
IMG_3385.jpgSpring Day in Oxford

P. Pulp will take a brief hiatus from posting. He has heard of a new fifteen-year-old he can sample (he has a soft spot for young stuff), so he is flying (private jet, of course) to his place in Scotland, near the distillery. He expects to be back to post about May 22.

Last edited:
Barbara Moore cuddled in the corner of the plush sectional in Geoffrey’s sitting room drinking a cup of coffee (Geoff hated it, but kept good beans for grinding when Barb was around.)

I don't have the heart to tell the old boy that I much prefer tea. :oops:

The man could get it up pretty well for a Septuagenarian!

True. He's up with the sun every morning. :rolleyes:

Looks comfy doesn't it?

Inside it or out? :devil:

One more then the break

Chapter 8 4:00 PM BST, April 9, 2018
Three Way Conference call, Windar (W), Moore (M), Chaucer (C)

M: How are we doing on the budget, W?

W: Surprisingly well in such a brief time.

C: How well is well, W?

W: What do you think of 70%?

M: My God, where did you find that in 72 hours? God, W, you are a miracle worker! I could kiss you!

W: I think I could fit a quickie with you in the budget, M, if C doesn’t mind.

C: M’s free to do as she pleases, even if it’s settling for much less than the best.

M: Ok. Ok, I like the way you men think of a woman as a possession like a car that can be handed off for a test drive! Where did that money come from?

W: Several regular and generous donors. The most from a new donor. Remember I introduced you to a Harold Antonio at the fund-raiser in the spring?

M: I remember the so-called fund-raiser! You were like a pimp, whoring me out to your best givers!

W: At least I reserved your obvious talent for the quality clients! More like a high-priced call-girl.

M: Watch for demerits, W!

W: Antonio is some hedge-fund guy from New York, Berlin, Turin. Tons of cash and very interested in Medieval history. He’s even heard of the “Emperors’ Treasure” before. He leapt at the chance to help fund its discovery.

C: That’s very nice and all, but I want to get back to how you were whoring M out! I never heard about that before.

M: G, dear. I wanted to spare you the danger. I knew if I told you then you would probably challenge W to a duel.

C: I was number 2 at Epee and number 3 with the Foil when I was with the Cambridge University Fencing Club. CUFC is one of the longest running fencing clubs in the country, founded in 1896. We bested Oxford three years running! It was the macho sport for us nerds!

W: C, you come at me with a Foil and I’ll use my Grouse hunting shotgun on you.

M: Enough. Why is it when the three of us get together, I feel like my academic career has regressed to supervising a field trip for Kindergarten boys?

W & C (together): Sorry ma’am.

M: Now, W, with all that money in hand, I can travel to the region to lay some ground-work without having my Mastercard go up in smoke?

W: Yes, M, you can start spending money. I would caution you to stay within budget, but I’ve learned how useless that advice is with you.

M: I always bring you quality for the money, don’t I?

W: That’s what my donors say about you!

M: You’ve really earned some demerits when I return. Now seriously, Here’s the plan, C and I have worked out.

First a stop in Frankfort, where Frederick was crowned King of the Germans, uniting the old rival factions of the Guelfs and the Ghibellines. There will be records there of his organization of the Third Crusade. Also, of his cousin Henry the Lion, a Guelf Duke of Saxony was never reconciled to Bararosso and was exiled for betraying him. I suspect he has a role here somewhere.

Then Venice. Venetian rule had ended in Dalmatia in Frederick’s time, but there was quite a heritage from them. Then a side trip to the palaces in Ravenna. They are the last Western Roman works and not that removed from the architecture of Diocletian’s palace.

Then on to Zagreb, capital of Croatia and touring the monasteries, and finally Split, Croatia, where Diocletian’s place is.

W: That’s going to be an expensive trip.

M: You know me, W. I want to fill in every detail.

W: Yes, I know, cha-ching! Where do you want your team of graduate students to meet you?

M: Zagreb.

W: Is C going along for the thrill?

C: I’d love to, but I have to admit to my age, “Made weak by time and fate,” and what-all. I’ll stay based here in Oxford and provide research and moral support.

M: Both of which will be valuable and much appreciated!

W: Seriously, I concur. When are you leaving?

M: The 12th; three days.

W: Sounds good, give C a kiss for me when you leave.

M: I’ll give him a lot more than a kiss!

C: Oh my!

W: TMI!!! Toodle-loo. Lovebirds.

C: M: (together) Bye!

University Gala
shutterstock_135721745.jpg
Presenting Dr. Moore
Madiosi-2019-168-BarbModa.jpg
She always looks good on a runway. Does that outfit seem to have a lot of zippers?

Windar opens the bidding
fundraising-event.png

Geoffrey is quoting from Ulysses, by Alfred Lord Tennyson
Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho'
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
A great inspiration for the "over the hill" ones like me.

P. Pulp will take a brief hiatus from posting. He has heard of a new fifteen-year-old he can sample
There was this old bon vivant who met a sweet, shy and very young girl that he could impress enough that they spent the night together.
The next morning he told her:"I have to admit that I have asthma." Suddenly the girl was all smiles and replied:"Thank God! I have thought you would catcall me!"

There was this old bon vivant who met a sweet, shy and very young girl that he could impress enough that they spent the night together.
The next morning he told her:"I have to admit that I have asthma." Suddenly the girl was all smiles and replied:"Thank God! I have thought you would catcall me!"
[Edit. I hope all understand that Mr. Pulp is sampling a 15-year-old scotch.]

University Gala
View attachment 708017
Presenting Dr. Moore
View attachment 708018
She always looks good on a runway. Does that outfit seem to have a lot of zippers?

Windar opens the bidding
View attachment 708020

Geoffrey is quoting from Ulysses, by Alfred Lord Tennyson
Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho'
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
A great inspiration for the "over the hill" ones like me.
In an unforgivable oversight, I failed to credit Madosi for creating Barb on the runway!

Back
Top Bottom