Nailed On Hard Wood (a Pulp Novel).

Go to CruxDreams.com
"and the reddish light changing to purple across the waves" on a really excellent story. Poor Cristina and Julie. But commitment is good and wins in the end. A lot of work went into writing these episodes Jolly. And the effort paid off. Brilliant!

"and the reddish light changing to purple across the waves" on a really excellent story. Poor Cristina and Julie. But commitment is good and wins in the end. A lot of work went into writing these episodes Jolly. And the effort paid off. Brilliant!
Thanks. :)

The real trick was trying to channel Mickey properly and not make him too sentimental, or too callous. I saw him as a guy trying to be this cool, sardonic, detached observer, who gets caught up. He imagines what his reactions should be, given his self-image, but ends up reacting differently and less aloof than he thinks he is. I also wanted to put in the crucifixions in a reasonably serious manner, without losing the overall fun tone of the story. That delayed the release of some of the sections while I edited and rewrote things to get it right.

Well, Pilgrim, it wasn't the ending I expected and seems like one of those newfangled Hollywood things where is it doesn't sell they let you die there but if it does you set yourself up for sequel. Personally, I'd prefer the sequel. Can't see you wasting good writing talent dyin' on that cross...
Cheers. Not sure where I'd go with a sequel yet.:confused: I'll consider it. Mickey is a fun character to write. :) Still, the way it is now, he's in a bit of a tight spot.

What a great story Jollyrei, it reads like a great pulp novel.
You have to bring back Mickey for more adventures, I really like him. He is a great character.
I just read the whole story again this evening, as I was enjoying some Maker's Whisky, and some Led Zeppelin on the old headphones, and I must say,
:goodjob::beer::clapping::popcorn::devil:

I had expected a last shoot-out, followed by a light-hearted looking back to the events by Holmes, enjoying the sunset over the sea. Holmes, sitting behind a Martini cocktail ("shaken, not stirred") on a terrace of a five star hotel on a cliff over the Mediterranean, somewhere in Sorrento.

We got Holmes over a cliff, facing sunset, but in totally unexpected circumstances.

Great story, great ending, thanks! :clapping::clapping:

Jollyrei, I'm sorry not to have responded sooner - been a busy day- but that was an exceptional story.... I really enjoyed it!

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

Jollyrei,

Some really interesting stuff here. May we assume that both Christina and Julie died crucified? Either way, thanks much for your labors with this story.

Jollyrei. With much regret to be a wet blanket to the praise party, and with the highest respect for your tremendous writing skills, nevertheless have to say reading this tale now with yet no sequel in 2019 that the ending just sucks. Understand that the protagonist facing death watching the sunset rather than riding off into it having saved the girl has appeal to the creative mind, but have some mercy on your more pedestrian readers. This story, with your genius for the most engaging internal and external dialogue among the characters, deserves much more. Had to say it. With all due apologies.

Jollyrei. With much regret to be a wet blanket to the praise party, and with the highest respect for your tremendous writing skills, nevertheless have to say reading this tale now with yet no sequel in 2019 that the ending just sucks. Understand that the protagonist facing death watching the sunset rather than riding off into it having saved the girl has appeal to the creative mind, but have some mercy on your more pedestrian readers. This story, with your genius for the most engaging internal and external dialogue among the characters, deserves much more. Had to say it. With all due apologies.
No worries at all. I appreciate the comments, both positive and critical. I can't remember now whether I was really planning a sequel. I know it was mentioned somewhere. I do realize that the ending is not "neat" or wrapped up, and resembles a cliffhanger. However, if you read pulp novels (which is one of my little pleasures), the endings are not always in the favour of the protagonist. Indeed, the story that provided the idea for this story, and for the Mickey character, ended with the main character in an ambiguous position. My own view of this story is that, since he's not dead, but still alive and annoyed, the ending is far from sure. I did enjoy writing it, and I do occasionally toy with the idea of doing another one, but I need to have a good plot, rather than shoot out something shoddy. Thanks very much for reading and for your comments. Much appreciated. :)

Back
Top Bottom