nailing scenes?

Go to CruxDreams.com
That could've worked, even if the Romans were errr chary of arena archery -- for obvious reasons.

Gladiatrix is not attested in Classical Latin, so I prefer 'female gladiator'. What is to my knowledge the sole mention of them in an official context goes mulieres [a]d ferrum, literally 'women for the sword'.

You don't believe in gladiatrices?
Maybe on another world things were different.
Gladiatrix_Poster_by_julianapostata.jpg

Hi Possum, I regret not finding time and opportunity to visit cruxwinds, thanks for making me so welcome when I did get along there. I'm pretty sure I've got some nailing pics of you somewhere too :)

Last edited:
Omg that is a perfect series of pics showing the nailing process! And wow that is exactly the way a girls feet should always be nailed to the cross! It adds further humiliation to the girl in the fact that the soles of her feet (which would likely.be very dirty depending how far she had to walk barefoot and also how long she was kept barefoot.as a prisoner before her execution) are now perfectly visible to all passerbys- something most girls are very self concious over. Add to that humiliation the fact she is fully naked. Gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wish all crucified girls were nailed that way!

You don't believe in gladiatrices?
Maybe on another world things were different.
View attachment 565837
I believe that it's a rare English word.* :devil: Perhaps as rare as those fighting gals themselves were, certainly not as common as in Russell Whitfield novels; I suppose part of their appeal was in that gladiatorial shows with their participations were a special treat.

*Unexpectedly, for me at least, OED dates it to 1802!

I believe that it's a rare English word.* :devil: Perhaps as rare as those fighting gals themselves were, certainly not as common as in Russell Whitfield novels; I suppose part of their appeal was in that gladiatorial shows with their participations were a special treat.

*Unexpectedly, for me at least, OED dates it to 1802!
Well, that's sent me off on a typical eul library hunt - the OED citation is from one of William Gifford's fascinating footnotes to his very lively translation of Juvenal's Satires, specifically 1 vv.34-5. Unfortunately I can't track down the Latin original, but Gifford's translation reads:

'When Maevia, all the woman laid aside,
enters the lists, and, to the middle bare,
Hurls at the Tuscan boar the quivering spear...'

Juvenal at this point is listing all sorts of deplorable antics of the wealthy Romans of his day. Gifford begins his footnote:

'Under Domitian such instances were common, for he not only exhibited combats of men with wild beasts, but of women also; and the noblest of both sexes were sometimes engaged in them!'

He then goes on to correct Dryden, who thought Juvenal was referring to an actual hunt rather than a woman vs boar contest in the arena, then concludes:

'Of Maevia I can find no account: there is indeed a strumpet so-called in Martial, but she was poor: her profligacy, however, may have tempted Juvenal to transfer her name to this noble gladiatrix.'

Although gladiatrix isn't found in Classical Latin (to judge from Lewis & Short, I haven't got access to the online Oxford Latin Dictionary), it's been used pretty frequently in most major European languages, this search on Google Books turns up a huge number (257!) of links:

https://archive.org/search.php?query=gladiatrix&sin=TXT

(though quite a few are to species of moth or fly that have gladiatrix as their specific name)

Last edited:
Well, that's sent me off on a typical eul library hunt - the OED citation is from one of William Gifford's fascinating footnotes to his very lively translation of Juvenal's Satires, specifically 1 vv.34-5. Unfortunately I can't track down the Latin original, but Gifford's translation reads:

'When Maevia, all the woman laid aside,
enters the lists, and, to the middle bare,
Hurls at the Tuscan boar the quivering spear...'
Cum tener uxorem ducat spado, Mevia Tuscum
figat aprum et nuda teneat venabula mamma

Strictly speaking, it's venatio, not gladiatorship.

Thanks Marcius. Literally '[When the tender eunuch takes a wife],
and Mevia, even keeping her breasts bare, transfixes with her hunting-spear the Tuscan boar'

Strictly speaking, it's venatio, not gladiatorship.

Yes, Gifford's note is at pains to explain, for the benefit of anyone misled by Dryden, that venatio in this context was a kind of entertainment in the arena, but he refers to Mevia as a gladiatrix, not a venatrix. I think anyone involved in a fight in the arena - whether with another human or with an animal - would be called a gladiator.

Back
Top Bottom