Nessun Problema, Capufamigghia!

Go to CruxDreams.com
One of my favorite meals ever was pasta with black ink squid sauce, topped with mozzarella cheese in a traditional little tratoria in Siracusa. I have many more fond memories of Sicily. The hubby and I have visited twice, and we both want to return someday.

And one of my favorite books is The Leopard.

So more stories from bella Sicilia please!
You mean "Pasta al nero di seppia" ( Pasta with sepia's black).
I believe that you also saw the movie "The Leopard" from the book, a masterpiece of italian Director Luchino Visconti of 1963.

I am reading your passionate defense of Sicily and its people with a certain emotion being directly concerned.Thank you wholeheartedly. Like a multitude of persons travelling to Sicily and/or living in it we are well aware on how matters stand and we give proof of this every day. Nevertheless I consider Praefectus Praetorius' account
just a fantasy that may well have occurred at the times of italian-american policeman Petrosino struggling with the Mano Nera (Black Hand)in 1902 at the
time Mafia elements from Sicily cast the grounds of their power in America. In our days this is not over : methods and appearances are more sophisticated and keep up to the new times. This is valid for Sicily as well as for any other Country in the world. I am of the advice to take Praefectus Praetorius' tale thoughtlessly and if ,we like,
to figure out the events as out of our context. Mario Puzo's book "The Godfather" and the series of Francis Ford Coppola movies based on the book, notwithstanding they saw Mafia with a rather lenient eye, Sicilian characters and deeds were crudely depicted giving a picture of Sicily far from encouraging.
Many people travelled to Sicily on the wave of the "Godfather's" success in due course: they had the opportunity to touch then the reality
as well as we are able today. Thanks for attention.
Thank you for the understanding and thoughtful post. Though they are very different, the analogy may be made to Germany. The country today is very very different from 1939. But we here on cruxforums still enjoy tales of evil Nazi deeds.

Last edited:
To Jackie1111 : in respect of 'Pasta al nero di seppia" kindly allow a little suggestion: The 'nero di seppia' being a seasoning of fish it is adviseable
to taste it without any addition of cheese at all. It is instead strongly recommended to add a small chilli as reinforcement provided that it is not
already contained in the sauce. Please try it upon your next trip to Sicily where you will be welcome.

To Jackie1111 : in respect of 'Pasta al nero di seppia" kindly allow a little suggestion: The 'nero di seppia' being a seasoning of fish it is adviseable
to taste it without any addition of cheese at all. It is instead strongly recommended to add a small chilli as reinforcement provided that it is not
already contained in the sauce. Please try it upon your next trip to Sicily where you will be welcome.
I wonder if we can rename this tread "An Appreciation of Sicily" ;)

Seriously, I love hearing about a place I've never been and never will. And Syracuse holds a special place in this scientist's heart as the birthplace and grave of the remarkable engineer Archimedes!

Last edited:
You mean "Pasta al nero di seppia" ( Pasta with sepia's black).
I believe that you also saw the movie "The Leopard" from the book, a masterpiece of italian Director Luchino Visconti of 1963.
Il Gattopardo, translated as The Leopard, refers to a small (9-18 or less kg) North African cat called a serval. But for the Zoology-challenged English speakers it is just a leopard.
Leptailurus_serval_-Serengeti_National_Park,_Tanzania-8.jpg

I wonder if we can rename this tread "An Appreciation of Sicily" ;)

Seriously, I love hearing about a place I've never been and never will. And Syracuse holds a special place in this scientist's heart as the birthplace and grave of the remarkable engineer Archimedes!
Your appreciation is gratifying: truly there is a lot to tell and discover about Sicily's History, people, places and traditions (but not on CF of course).
Please allow a little digression on the subject of "IL GATTOPARDO": as lovers of both the book and the film certainly know,the title was the choice
of the author Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa (1Stemma_Tomasi_di_Lampedusa.jpguntitled.png896-1957) (this was his one and only work) who was inspired by the leopard showing on his family's coat-of-arms.

Your appreciation is gratifying: truly there is a lot to tell and discover about Sicily's History, people, places and traditions (but not on CF of course).
Please allow a little digression on the subject of "IL GATTOPARDO": as lovers of both the book and the film certainly know,the title was the choice
of the author Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa (1View attachment 745546View attachment 745547896-1957) (this was his one and only work) who was inspired by the leopard showing on his family's coat-of-arms.

And he sadly died around the time it was first published, so never knew the heaps of praise the book got, or how popular it became.

Part of the family palace in Palermo was turned into apartments at some point, and are rented to tourists. We stayed in one for a few days several years ago and met Tomasi's nephew. His wife gave us a tour of their home, which looked sort of like a museum.

I'm trying to think of something to say about Sicily that is bdsm-related, but not coming up with anything. :confused:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom