Nikolai Bessonov

Go to CruxDreams.com

Naraku

Draconarius
Just saw a posting by Summerhot on Stakedamsels Firey Forum stating that Russian artist Nikolay Bessonov has passed away at the age of 55. While his name may not be well know, his series of works depicting the torture & execution witch should be very familiar to members of this forum. I have not been able to confirm his death through a Google search, but the announcement may been in Russian. If it is true, then a great artist has been lost at too young an age.
Below is a link to his witch series site:
http://www.inquisition-art.net/eng/index01_rus.htm
bessonov1.jpgbessonov2.jpgbessonov3.jpgbessonov4.jpgbessonov5.jpg

Just saw a posting by Summerhot on Stakedamsels Firey Forum stating that Russian artist Nikolay Bessonov has passed away at the age of 55. While his name may not be well know, his series of works depicting the torture & execution witch should be very familiar to members of this forum. I have not been able to confirm his death through a Google search, but the announcement may been in Russian. If it is true, then a great artist has been lost at too young an age.
Below is a link to his witch series site:
http://www.inquisition-art.net/eng/index01_rus.htm
View attachment 549656View attachment 549657View attachment 549658View attachment 549659View attachment 549660
It seems to be true. This article appears to confirm Bessonov's death.
https://adcmemorial.org/www/13687.html?lang=en
It notes that he was primarily known as a painter and "champion" of the Roma people (gypsies), and many of his paintings depict Roma life. Perhaps not surprisingly, considering his other interests, his paintings of Roma life usually depict Roma women, sometimes in suggestive contexts. He also did quite a few sketches of women in prison. The witches series has quite a few interesting images.
Bessonov-Witches01.jpg

Although he does seem to have explored various themes - this one is called "Temptation":
Bessonov-Temptation.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Russian artist Nikolay Bessonov has passed away at the age of 55.
So sad - a very talented artist whose work deserves a wide audience. :(

I've started this new thread with copies of the sad news from 'Passings' -
members may wish to add their tributes and more favourite pictures by this fine artist -
and, to judge by the obituary linked in Jollyrei's post, a very fine man.

I think WIndar's assuming the rear-view witch is me :p

Looks like they're crossing the Rest and be Thankful -
one of our finest roads

restandbethankful.jpg

well the pic's titled 'arrest', but the blonde witch doesn't look like she's appreciating it :devil:

Who is your friend Eul?

Maybe Messaline, even Scottish witches are fond of the Auld Alliance :)

Looks like they're crossing the Rest and be Thankful -
one of our finest roads

Looks like the kind of road that usually makes me car sick. :confused:

well the pic's titled 'arrest', but the blonde witch doesn't look like she's appreciating it :devil:

Messa was hoping for a better mode of transportation. I'm on the second horse, complaining. ;)

Here's a gorgeous Roma girl by Bessonov, just to show he didn't only picture us women
being tortured by the Inquisition

Such a beguiling look. Who could resist?

Here's a gorgeous Roma girl by Bessonov, just to show he didn't only picture us women
being tortured by the Inquisition

View attachment 550072
Apparently, although he was not a sociologist or anthropologist by training, he was quite active in promoting Roma culture in a more positive light. The Roma/gypsies have historically been much persecuted. This is unfortunate IRL, but would make for a splendid storyline at CF.

Bessanov's dead.

Damn.

A single image of his turned me on to strappado. It can't be understated how good an artist he was.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    77.4 KB · Views: 407
An internet search using both English and Russian translation brought up,after some going back and forth between languages, complicated by the fact that of course Russian has its own Cyrillic alphabet,Nikolay Bessonov's "Illustrated history of Witch Trials" which I think is probably the most profusely illustrated work of its kind to be found anywhere. Mr. Bessonov used his own artwork which is all over the internet as well as art work of others, photos, etc. to discuss the subject of witches, their imprisonment, torture and execution. An aspect of his book is that it follows closely in some places the text of a classic study of the history of witchcraft, Henry Charles Leas' work "Materials Towards a History of Witchcraft", which was the very first book I ever read on the subject a long time ago and which definitely fitted into BDSM fantasies. As Apostate above mentions, Bessonov's illustration of a strappado is a BDSM scenario which stands out. And while Nikolay Bessonov chose to show a stretching ladder sitting by itself right at the passage where he refers to the Blanckenstein trial, he didn't show the ladder in operation at this illustration. It's too bad because it would have been the opportunity to show the ladder being used with the additional aggravation of the hair cord (haar seil) which was employed against Frau Blanckenstein and very nearly brought out a confession from her.

I loved his inquisition paintings, and barefoot gypsy models

My first comic was based on the inquisition pictures :(

Attachments

• sabbath-05.jpg
    sabbath-05.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 352
  • page_028_by_daniel_rm-d5hptw6.jpg
    page_028_by_daniel_rm-d5hptw6.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 332
  • arrest-n03.jpg
    arrest-n03.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 317
  • page_029_by_daniel_rm-d5hpu76.jpg
    page_029_by_daniel_rm-d5hpu76.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 305
  • arrest-n04.jpg
    arrest-n04.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 291
  • page_032_by_daniel_rm-d5jntts.jpg
    page_032_by_daniel_rm-d5jntts.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 319
  • torture-07.jpg
    torture-07.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 343
  • page_079_by_daniel_rm-d6eze54.jpg
    page_079_by_daniel_rm-d6eze54.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 336
That's most interesting Daniel - your own style is so distinctive, but I can see how you've the same sensitivity as NB -
nice seeing those works of each of you side by side.

Back
Top Bottom