Nostalgia - Music

Go to CruxDreams.com
a touching song to remember him by - adieu!

Nostalgia... time for confessions ;) - Recently heard again somewhere in the background. I loved this so when it came out.

The sound is in my ears
I can't believe the things you say
They echo what I fear

Twisting the bones until they snap
I scream but no one knows
You say I'm familiar, cold to touch
And then you turn and go

Yes, the hair is ridiculous today ;)

After I don't know how many years, I listened to this record again today.
And this song - it was something I was seeing happening at the time. It took me a while to understand then, though.

I wanted to see how it would feel to be that sleek
And instead I find this hunger's made me weak
I believe right now if I could, I would swallow you whole
I would leave only bones and teeth...

After I don't know how many years, I listened to this record again today.
And this song - it was something I was seeing happening at the time. It took me a while to understand then, though.

I wanted to see how it would feel to be that sleek
And instead I find this hunger's made me weak
I believe right now if I could, I would swallow you whole
I would leave only bones and teeth...

Pp never really listened to Suzanne Vega as she came a little after the folk I enjoyed but Undertow has provoking lyrics.

I wanted to learn all the secrets

From the edge of a knife
From the point of a needle
From a diamond
From a bullet in flight
I would be free then

If I can find a chord chart I might have ago at playing this tomorrow.

I wanted to learn all the secrets
From the edge of a knife
She introduced this in concert with a comment such as, "this is a song for a group of people, they who know who they are". It's anorexia, and addiction to habits of self-inflicted injury, and someone who perhaps very narrowly escaped that. Partially, it's an internal dialogue with the demon of that disease and the lures of its false promises. That's what I hear from it. A few other interesting moments on that record.
never really listened to Suzanne Vega as she came a little after the folk I enjoyed
For me, it was the other way around. This is 1985 and, you don't listen to "folk". That was something your parents used to listen to before they stopped listening to anything... but Suzanne Vega was new and not cursed by the deadly "hippie stigma" ;) And so I thought "if that's 'folk' it's not so horrible" and also discovered a few of the more "classic" ones...

As mention of Persephone/Proserpina has crept forth recently... here's something called Persephone from Cocteau Twins (1984)
Not really to Pp's tastes but interesting music and vocals and, thanks to malins and to the wonder of Google, Pp learns of a music genre known as "ethereal wave". There is so much to learn from these forums. So much.

**smiles innocently** I loved the Cocteau Twins for a while... maybe that's how Persephone got into my head, who knows... Good call.
Loved them too for a while. They just got too unbearably sugary later. But if you look at the first album...

... futilely trying to escape sacrifice in the forest
(And she's always known / Things from the forest die here / But I don't / Dead forest things are offered here / But I'm not)

... dark earth rituals...
(Winged water, feathered river / Dirty rich soil, strong and fertile ... Earth as we know it ... A sky for the sacred ... Stars in my eyes/stars in my face, Womb in the belly / capital place)

... there's maybe some sensory deprivation (Blind Dumb Deaf)....

... something's going on there ;)

And then of course there's always this. People who haven't heard of her otherwise might remember it from David Lynch (Lost Highway).
So, she could sing...

... something's going on there ;)
Oh my God ... you're right! Holy shit. **mind-blown**
They just got too unbearably sugary later.
yes, they went all poppy later on. Early stuff (up to and including Blue Bell Knoll) is so original though - they just made a sound (a whole world of sound) that no-one had heard before. A world I lived in for a while; I hadn't realized (until you pointed it out) that it still lived in me.

Pp just posted this one over on the Music thread: http://www.cruxforums.com/xf/threads/music.3912/page-14#post-209516

But, for those with a nostalgic interest in punk rock, on September 2, 1975, Patti Smith and her band of Lenny Kaye, Richard Sohl, Ivan Kral and Jay Dee Daugherty, along with with producer John Cale, walked into Electric Lady Studios to spend 5 weeks recording.

While the album wasn't released until December 13th 1975 it is now 40 years ago that Patti and her band finished recording "Horses".

it is now 40 years ago that Patti and her band finished recording "Horses".

I just don't know what to do tonight
My head is aching as I drink and breathe
Memory falls
like cream in my bones
moving
on my own

There must be something I can dream tonight
The air is filled with the moves of you
All the fire is frozen yet still
I have the will...

Trumpets... violins...
I hear them in the distance
And... my skin...
emits a ray
but I think it's sad
it's much too bad

That our friends
can't be with us
today

Another album with a lot on it...

I realize I've sort of hijacked this thread. Whatever.

This one's from a little more than 2o years ago
(how time flies! I considered myself seriously grown-up when I bought that CD!).

It will mean nothing at all to many ...
...and a lot to few.

Wandering Star

The video may be disturbing to some, the man with the mask has decidedly poor manners.

There are ways to do things that could be fun for both sides but this person chooses a
... disrespectful approach.
Who would want to be him.

Please could you stay awhile, to share my grief
For its such a lovely day, to have to always feel this way
And the time that I will suffer less, is when I never have to wake

Wandering stars, for whom it is reserved - the blackness of darkness forever

Those who have seen the needles eye, now tread like a husk,
from which all that was, now has fled

And the masks, that the monsters wear - to feed upon their prey....

For someone with apple trees in the garden
well that really is nostalgia. some time around 89/90 I was often listening wednesday evenings to a show on 'Radio Dreyeckland' called 'Incubus Succubus'. You can guess the musical style. The guy running that was a Cranes fan although I always thought their singer was a bit of a squeaking rubber duck ;) I do vaguely remember Self/Non-Self. And right after 'Incubus' there was this couple of extremist lesbians running their show. The handovers were sometimes quite funny.

a bit of a squeaking rubber duck ;)
:p - that sums up Alison Shaw's vocal style pretty well; "the helium tones of a small child". It sort of works with their heavy, grungy guitar noise - like a fairy in a tornado. Listening to Radio Dreyeckland right now, via the magic of internet :) seems to be easy-listening hour :(
incubus succubus.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Listening to Radio Dreyeckland
Well that's kind of an independent radio station that developed out of the anti-nuclear protests in the late 70's, very very left-leaning (which isn't an affiliation for me at all) but what they do is programming. So they'll have regular hours entirely devoted to certain styles of music, or certain types of talk, they'll have things in different languages, etc, so it can be a mixed bag. Haven't listened since the late '90s. I always ignored 90% of their stuff because of the narrow political focus but they did have some interesting music hours.

Back
Top Bottom