Notturno Veneziano

Go to CruxDreams.com

l'bogo

Venetian Mask
Notturno Veneziano
Venetian Night
a pas de deux

We're starting to post here a narrative, an imaginative, mysterious story;
the story unfolds in Venice in the days of Carnival.
It's the story of the ballerina Gabriella,
who will face many dangerous and surprising situations.

The texts are written by l'bogo, 'Venetian Mask',
and GabriellaSivilla, dancer,
who is the protagonist and will post her side of the story.

As has now been the usual practice for some time for many authors here,
we shall use the priceless service of translation and proofreading by Eulalia
(eul-translate on forum service).

We hope this will attract your interest, and you'll appreciate meeting us
here in this space that CruxForums gives us.​

- PROLOGUE

.Friday morning

She’s just finished putting on her makeup, Gabriella looks at the clock, it's already ten a.m.

'Shit! I'm going to be late for rehearsals, that faggot of a Director will punish me again.'

Must exit immediately, take the car to arrive in time at Mestre station, then catch the train to Venice, and run to La Fenice theatre for the dance rehearsal for the opera 'Zenobia', which is to be performed in February.

Gabriella is a dancer in the corps de ballet of the world's most popular theatre, La Fenice. Blonde, green eyes, tall, perhaps too tall for a prima donna, the most successful ones are more tiny, light as feathers, which is why she is limited to performing with the corps, male dancers prefer butterflies flying alone, they don't like to sweat, they are too wrapped up in their performance, though to see them you’d think they could lift the world with one hand.

Search, rummaging in her purse for the car keys:

'Here they are, at last! Another thing to piss me off today!'

Rushes down the narrow stairs of the seventy-year old building where she lives in a tiny apartment. In Venice it is impossible to find accommodation at an affordable price for a girl who has not yet got enough economic independence. Dizzying prices are charged for a damp mouldy room. So she’s had to move here on the mainland, to Mestre.

It's raining, a light drizzle, cold, the grey skies of this strange winter makes everything flat, uniform, wrapping everything in an opaque veil.

The motor starts with a muffled hum, reverse gear, a cry, a passerby hits his hand against the right window and makes a gesture indicating she's crazy. Gabriella leaps, gets out of the car, a micro bought in installments.

Lying on the ground, almost under the car, a man’s holding his right leg, a grimace of pain is like a mask on his face, but he doesn't complain. He’s very well dressed, in a grey coat of soft cashmere, a pinstriped grey suit, blue shirt and tie. He’s looking at Gabriella with blue-grey eyes, cold as ice, a look that chills the blood.

The beam of the flashing light, and the sound of the siren of the approaching ambulance, awaken poor Gabriella from her astonishment and shock, she is trembling like a leaf.

'Black day for Virgo’, it said in her horoscope for today. It could hardly have been worse.

The Municipal Police are here:

'Miss, your licence, registration, insurance...'

They take control, meanwhile the ambulance goes away with its biiih-booh-biiih-booh growing faint.

'You must accompany us to the station, Miss, we'll have to do the report, you hit a person on the pedestrian crossing. There will be problems, the person is injured, your licence will be withdrawn, at least for a while.'

Stunned she struggles to open her mouth.

'Can I make a phone call? I must warn that I won’t be in time for rehearsals, I work at La Fenice.'

'As soon as we get to the station. Now you’re required to come with us in our car, yours must remain here for the forensic experts.'

As if the world had suddenly fallen in on her, Gabriella thinks of the injured man, his icy gaze full of hatred. He looked like one of those who come to the theatre and engage one or two girls, take them to one of those luxury hotels on the Canal Grande, then make them dance naked ... Swan Lake, the dying swan, and then, and then ... Even classical dancers lead a shitty life, humiliation, prostitution. Rich men pay ridiculous amounts for a dancing girl, the choreographer and the director pocket the money, the girls get a handful of loose change for a bit of shopping.

Per tutti i lettori, che come me hanno difficoltà con l'Inglese, caricherò, ogni 5 o 6 capitoli, un file .pdf con il testo in Italiano.

To all readers, who like me have difficulty with English, I will upload, every 5 or 6 chapters, a pdf file with text in Italian.

Per tutti i lettori, che come me hanno difficoltà con l'Inglese, caricherò, ogni 5 o 6 capitoli, un file .pdf con il testo in Italiano.

To all readers, who like me have difficulty with English, I will upload, every 5 or 6 chapters, a pdf file with text in Italian.
But I have diffcultly with Italian also. ;)
How many parts have you planned? And don't worry, my likes will coming later.

It is a very good start - a wonderfully provocative theme. Mystery with a foreshadowing of danger? I look forward to more. Also, thanks to Eulalia, yet again; my Italian is very bad. ;)

THE HOUSE OF THE COUNTESS (The House of the Spirits)

Friday afternoon

I don't understand why, but I’ve not been treated too badly. Initially they made me feel like I was a murderer, but then, after a phone call to which the officer replied ' Yessir... Yessir... ssir ', the atmosphere changed, they even offered me a coffee. They immediately returned my smartphone, I signed the interview notes and they called a taxi to take me to the station. Mystery.

I don’t have to wait long for the local train into Venice, then I call Vio (Vito). The guy’s hopelessly in love with me. I don't love him, but he keeps me comfortable, he's helpful. He's got plenty of money, he’s let his family home to a Chinese restaurateur – the Chinese are everywhere now – who’s turned it into a popular restaurant where Eastern tourists turn up in droves to eat fried crickets. The Chinese pay 30,000 euros per month, goodness knows how much he’s raking in. Vio no longer needs to work, he lives in Mestre, though that’s a disgrace for a Venetian, and he’s chasing me every day. I don’t avoid him, for the convenience, but he’s a pain.

' Hello Vio, I'm going to Venice, I'm on the train.'

' But didn't you go this morning? '

'... never mind, I’ll tell you all about it this evening - I ran over a pedestrian on a crossing, I had to go to the police station... can you wait for me at the stage door after rehearsal in the afternoon? Then we’ll go out to dinner, I didn’t eat anything for lunch ... well, then, you can walk me home and ... '

'Your slave! 7 pm at the theatre.'
' Thanks Vio, I'm almost there now, I've got to run. '

If you are at the station and you’re in a hurry to get to La Fenice, there is only one route that cuts across the city, in less time than it takes to say it you can get to San Marco, only Venetians know the way.

Frau Helga the choreographer gives me a shocked look. The Director has a dark expression, but he doesn’t tell me off. Another mystery.

'Get changed, Gaby, honey, put on your costume for the scene.'

If Frau Helga calls me ‘honey’ things can get ugly ...

The costumes for the opera ‘Zenobia’ are abominable, halfway between Egyptian and Arabian, like the concubines of the Grand Vizier of the Thousand and one Nights, we’re half-naked, all wearing black wigs to look like the slaves of Queen Zenobia.

Now I understand why even the rehearsals are crowded with spectators who’ve come to watch the ballerinas, and then and some of them turn up in the dressing rooms to choose which ones they’ll take to bed. We must adapt to survive.

Unnerving, that pig of a Director is never satisfied – so Frau Helga, to correct a posture that’s just a little wrong in her opinion, sneaks behind without me noticing, plants a finger into my asshole and tells me,

'Straighten your back! Where do you think you are? At the 'Déjeuner sur l’herbe' ? (a picnic on the grass)
I jump like a jack-in-a-box. Frau Helga is a blatant lesbian, she never misses a chance to get her hands on the girls.
It’s over for today, already nine, Vio’s been out there waiting for two hours.

In we go to the showers.

'Gaby, baby, come here to me, tonight you’ve a commitment ...'

Shit! I'm screwed.

'I'm still wet ...'

'Put on your bathrobe and come here.'

I scamper back to her, you cannot disobey.

'Let me see ... spread your legs ...'

She pats my pubis ...

‘Good Gaby, waxing every morning, that’s what Milords want, you have to look like teenagers ...
Now take this suppository and give yourself an enema, you need to be clean inside and out. Then put in this scented one ... '

'But I've got a date with my boyfriend.'

'No arguing! I’ll tell him you're engaged.'
Poor Vio. I obey my orders, after half an hour I am ready, with a light makeup ... I’m wearing my own clothes

' What do you think you’re doing? No, no! Put this on....'

.. and she holds out to me a pair of black stockings and a pair of high-heeled shoes.

I look at her wide-eyed.

'Under your cloak – nude!'

The sky drops in on me... wherever am I going in this get-up? Whatever little game is planned for tonight, I won't be wearing much! Frau Helga throws a black cloak over my shoulders.

'Wait a minute, you have to put on the hat and the baùtta... '

The baùtta is a half-face mask worn during the Carnival. This one is pretty, covered with peacock feathers, but the hat is obscene ...

'Well, I'll see you Monday morning – have a good weekend. And be obedient.'

'Weekend?!'

'Yes my darling - until Monday! Open your mouth, swallow this pill so you don't get pregnant.'

Oh my God! And I so wanted to go to the Piazza San Marco for the Carnival ...

Back
Top Bottom