Notturno Veneziano

Go to CruxDreams.com
Frau Helga's blackmail leaves me no room to manoeuvre, if I refuse, I'll get the sack - but even then she’d still have those photos of me, and could ruin my career. I have my back to the wall. I shall have to dance naked in public. But how has she got the photos from the Countess? Is it some plot against me being orchestrated by the Countess? Or the revenge of Baba? I'm confused.
‘Let's go then. You can wear these slippers over your pumps so as not to dirty them. We'll talk about the choreography over lunch.'

The canteen menu is very good here at La Fenice, the dishes are prepared in the kitchen of the most famous luxury hotel in Venice, just a few paces from the theatre - they are yesterday’s dishes, but still excellent. To think that for two euros per meal you can enjoy dishes that cost the diners in the restaurant tens if not hundreds of euros!

The cafeteria is noisy, with ballerinas, male dancers, singers, actors, technicians, costumiers, hairdressers, make-up artists, all the people whose lives are in the theatre. With our trays full we look for a quiet place to talk. There are some little rooms, secluded, where visitors to the theatre are often invited - impresari - not to mention all the wildlife of the undergrowth of pimps and procurers. Here is a room for three, separated by glass walls from the common room.

‘Frau Helga, I feel very uncomfortable, I'm worried ...'

'Gaby, my darling sweetheart, I'm offering you the opportunity to escape from anonymity. If I hadn’t found a suitable part that will make you stand out, you’d just have to stay in the chorus-line, a space-filler. But you have got talent, even more than some girls who have saints on their side in heaven, and make their careers because they’re the daughters of someone or other. Take it or leave it, it’s your choice – I’m speaking to you as a friend, now, like an older sister.'

It is the decisive moment, now or never – on that point, Frau Helga is right.

'I accept!'

'Bravo, Gaby, I was counting on you. Today you’ll just do some warm-up exercises, and then you can go home.’

Frau Helga's blackmail leaves me no room to manoeuvre, if I refuse, I'll get the sack - but even then she’d still have those photos of me, and could ruin my career. I have my back to the wall. I shall have to dance naked in public. But how has she got the photos from the Countess? Is it some plot against me being orchestrated by the Countess? Or the revenge of Baba? I'm confused.
‘Let's go then. You can wear these slippers over your pumps so as not to dirty them. We'll talk about the choreography over lunch.'

The canteen menu is very good here at La Fenice, the dishes are prepared in the kitchen of the most famous luxury hotel in Venice, just a few paces from the theatre - they are yesterday’s dishes, but still excellent. To think that for two euros per meal you can enjoy dishes that cost the diners in the restaurant tens if not hundreds of euros!

The cafeteria is noisy, with ballerinas, male dancers, singers, actors, technicians, costumiers, hairdressers, make-up artists, all the people whose lives are in the theatre. With our trays full we look for a quiet place to talk. There are some little rooms, secluded, where visitors to the theatre are often invited - impresari - not to mention all the wildlife of the undergrowth of pimps and procurers. Here is a room for three, separated by glass walls from the common room.

‘Frau Helga, I feel very uncomfortable, I'm worried ...'

'Gaby, my darling sweetheart, I'm offering you the opportunity to escape from anonymity. If I hadn’t found a suitable part that will make you stand out, you’d just have to stay in the chorus-line, a space-filler. But you have got talent, even more than some girls who have saints on their side in heaven, and make their careers because they’re the daughters of someone or other. Take it or leave it, it’s your choice – I’m speaking to you as a friend, now, like an older sister.'

It is the decisive moment, now or never – on that point, Frau Helga is right.

'I accept!'

'Bravo, Gaby, I was counting on you. Today you’ll just do some warm-up exercises, and then you can go home.’
Good chapter though some can argue anonymity can be safer than fame:confused:

One dish of A, B, C. + D

A - Appetizer
Puglia' shrimps , cauliflower cream, candied citron fired seaweed and pistacchi
beetroots carpaccio, goat cheese, celery and pear
octopus, potato, onion and tomato
chicken and dried apricot with corn
egg and cornflour fritters with a creamy potato and ricotta mousse, and anchovies

B - First course
Paccheri pasta with lamb ragout and artichoke
potatoes gnocchi, asparagus and mussels
black cuttlefish ink risotto with raw cuttlefish marinated in ginger
minty fettuccine with burrata creamy sauce, green peas and tuna fish roe

C - Second course
Volpina mullet, vegetables with parlsey and basil pesto
smoked mackerel with spring onion
cod fish fillet in coconut and lemongrass soup
veal cheek in gremolata sauce with polenta
roasted quail inn honey and soy with black cabbage and bread sauce

D - Dessert
saffron panna cotta , liqourice gelèe and green sarawak peppercorn ice cream

Last edited by a moderator:
I would vote for:

saffron panna cotta , liqourice gelèe and green sarawak peppercorn ice cream ... :)

Even if my preferred dessert is lavender panna cotta... :)

One dish of A, B, C. + D

A - Appetizer
beetroots carpaccio, goat cheese, celery and pear
octopus, potato, onion and tomato
chicken and dried apricot with corn
Apparently crispy egg with potatoes’ foam and anchovies

B - First course
Paccheri pasta with lamb ragout and artichoke
black cuttlefish ink risotto with raw cuttlefish marinated in ginger
minty fettuccine with burrata creamy sauce, green peas and tuna fish roe

C - Second course
Volpina mullet, vegetables with parlsey and basil pesto
smoked mackerel with spring onion
veal cheek in gremolata sauce with polenta
roasted quail inn honey and soy with black cabbage and bread sauce

D - Dessert
saffron panna cotta , liqourice gelèe and green sarawak peppercorn ice cream

You have excellent taste. It is hard to choose what to eat.

Apparently crispy egg with potatoes’ foam and anchovies
If you're wondering what this is, l'bogo has revealed the mystery to me -
it's egg and cornflour fritters with a creamy potato and ricotta mousse, and anchovies. :hambre:
(I'll edit the menu now to make it clearer ;) )

Last edited:
I would vote for:

saffron panna cotta , liqourice gelèe and green sarawak peppercorn ice cream ... :)

Even if my preferred dessert is lavender panna cotta... :)
My tastes are much like yours Gabriella, same choice for A and B,
but for C I'd choose Volpina mullet, vegetables with parsley and basil pesto.
And for the wine - with the first two courses I'll try the Isonzo di Friuli as I've never tasted that,
but I've checked it out and a good one from the Rive Alte would suit those dishes.
With the mullet, perhaps a Riesling d'Alsace. Dessert wine? Has to be Vin Santo!

Back
Top Bottom