Odds And Ends And Anything You Fancy

Go to CruxDreams.com
#4 Before the Romans began their journey to Empire, Celts (the Romans called them Gauls @messaline) were the dominent group of Europe, controlling everything from modern Germany to the Iberian Peninsula.
From History.com

The story of the first sack of Rome is steeped in myth and legend, but it most likely began when the young city became embroiled in a conflict with a band of Gallic Celts led by the warlord Brennus. On July 18, 387 B.C., the two sides met in battle along the banks of the River Allia. The Romans had yet to perfect the fighting style that would make their legions famous, and many of their men scattered at the first charge of the wild-haired, bare-chested Gallic army. The rest were butchered, leaving Brennus with a clear road to Rome. His men entered the city a few days later and commenced with an orgy of rape and pillage. Buildings were burned or plundered of all their valuables, and most of the Roman senate was put to the sword at the Forum.

While the Gauls wreaked havoc on the rest of the city, the surviving Romans fortified themselves atop the Capitoline Hill. They repelled several Gallic attacks, but after several months of siege, they agreed to pay 1,000 pounds of gold in exchange for Brennus and his army leaving the city. Legend has it that Brennus used rigged scales to weigh out the ransom. When the Romans complained, he threw his sword on the scales and cried out “Vae Victis!” (“Woe to the Vanquished!”). The Romans rebuilt after the Gauls departed, but the defeat at the River Allia left deep wounds. For the rest of Roman history, July 18 was considered a cursed day.

July 18, coincidentally close to July 14?

#5 Six

Bonus (do I need to say?) - Scotland!

Answer to Eulalia's Question, Argentina. Y Wladfa, also known as Y Wladychfa Gymreig was a Welsh settlement started on the coast of Chubut Province in Patagonia in 1865.

Back at you Eul. What country (also never a British Colony) has a region named for a man of Irish descent who was a leader in gaining the independence of that country?

Last edited:
#3 - a complex story and not Darien Connecticut, you yahoos!

The Company of Scotland, using about one-fifth of all the money circulating in Scotland in the late 1690's, attempted, with Royal backing and endorsement, to establish Scotland as a World trading power by planting a Scottish colony in the Isthmus of Panama, on the Gulf of Darién, called “Caledonia."
However, rampant disease, economic blockade by the English East India Company and military assault by Spanish forces caused its abandonment in 1700 with almost all colonists lost. The land where the colony lay is virtually uninhabited to the day.
The economic damage left Lowland Scotland effectively bankrupt. This led the once proud Scots to accept the Act of Union in 1707, and the independent country went out of existence. Included in the act was the “Equivalent,” a payment to Scotland of £398,085.10s sterling as well as guaranteeing the Scottish Shilling a value of one English pence. Thus, Scotland was bought and paid for.
I've just noticed that yesterday when you posted this, 12th July, was the date the Darien adventurers set sail in 1698.

I made a wild surmise ;)
Have you read Chapman's? I never did, though I learned the opening in 9th grade English
Achilles' banefull wrath resound, O Goddesse, that imposd
Infinite sorrowes on the Greekes, and many brave soules losd.

I cut my teeth on Richard Lattimore.

... and July 14 is our national feast !!!
Messa like the France'national feast !
:rolleyes:

Messaline, re your national anthem, I remember the opening ceremonies of the 1992 Albertville Winter Olympics, where a young girl sang

In the countryside, do you hear
The roaring of these fierce soldiers?
They come right to our arms
To slit the throats of our sons, our friends
Grab your weapons, citizens!
Form your battalions!
Let us march! Let us march!
May impure blood water our fields!

The sound of a child soprano voice singing such lyrics left me a bit bemused. :rolleyes:

(Update: forgot the link. Merde!)

Last edited:
Messaline, re your national anthem, I remember the opening ceremonies of the 1992 Albertville Winter Olympics, where a young girl sang

Form your battalions!

The sound of a child soprano voice singing such lyrics left me a bit bemused. :rolleyes:
I forgot Messa's picture! Here it is now!
plans messa's panic jpeg.jpg

Form your battalions!

(Update: forgot the link. Merde!)

And people complain the American anthem (other than being impossible to sing) is too military?

According to Wikipedia, the Welsh first arrived in Argentina’s province of Chubut, Patagonia, in 1865.
Welsh Settlements in Chubut, names in Welsh.jpg
In 2014 Professor Wyn James of Cardiff University estimated there were about 5000 people in Patagonia who speak Welsh.

Welsh Community Dragon on Argentinean flag.png

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-29611380
Welsh Tea House Ty Te Caerdydd, Gaiman.jpg

A little challenge: In 1818 a Scottish nobleman, ex-captain of the Royal Navy, found the Navy of a country that was neither a British colony nor spoke English, to later on taking command of the Imperial Navy of another non-British country, ending his naval career fighting the Turk. His remains are in Westminster Abbey.

XYZ.jpg

Back
Top Bottom