On The Recurrence Of Forced Sex Thematics In Roman Crucifixion Art And Literature

Go to CruxDreams.com
This manip is only peripherally on topic. Literally. Look wa---ay over on the right, up against the arena wall.

I'm posting it because it really is one of the most well done mass crucifixion scenes I've ever seen. I only wish I knew a.) who the artist is and b.) if there's a higher-res version available.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    121.4 KB · Views: 1,291
This manip is only peripherally on topic. Literally. Look wa---ay over on the right, up against the arena wall.

I'm posting it because it really is one of the most well done mass crucifixion scenes I've ever seen. I only wish I knew a.) who the artist is and b.) if there's a higher-res version available.

certainly one of my favs!

Drink more... I could see clearly

I've posted two of these Roberts drawings before, but not as a set. Which as the viewer can see is a kind of a natural progression.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    73.8 KB · Views: 1,168
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    89.7 KB · Views: 952
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    92.3 KB · Views: 1,014

You'd think an event like this would draw a bigger crowd. Must be an advertising problem. Colosseum management needs to hire a new public relations staff to generate buzz for spectacles like this.
As for what to do with the old staff:
roman-gladiators-roma-antigua.jpg

Adjustments ok?

arena-image.jpeg
;)
Everyone is leaving and now they bring me out?????????????

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apostate's post image (32).jpeg

Ticket sales are poor today, in spite of the spectacle on offer.
New to me, and I do not know who made it, but it is very convincing.
Great find Apostate - I will borrow this one, if I may!

View attachment 543188

Be my guest. FYI, unlike virtually everything I post, this one was new to me too.

Adjustments ok?

Well doggone done, dear lady. That golden haze o'er all pleases the eye.

One of which Tree borrowed years ago when he crucified Eul...
View attachment 543181

Tree, I do hope Eulalia's ID tag didn't damage your ---, ah, nice adaptation, guy!

View attachment 543188

Ticket sales are poor today, in spite of the spectacle on offer.
New to me, and I do not know who made it, but it is very convincing.
Most of what's in it seems familiar, though I'm not sure that particular scene is -
i.e. I think it may be a manip using figures from other sources.

Most of what's in it seems familiar, though I'm not sure that particular scene is -
i.e. I think it may be a manip using figures from other sources.
A late work by Jean-Léon Gérôme (1824 - 1904) entitled, 'Departure of the Cats from the Circus' (1902.) Some of the figures in the manipulation are Gérôme's originals but all of the naked females have been added, including at least four identifiable Makar models.

The girls have been crucified on Gérôme's previously incinerated bodies. I am not sure that Damian would do that, although he has certainly used Gérôme backgrounds. Alas, I do not know who the manip artist is.

ap1 image (32) 200pc.jpg ap3 Gerome 1902 g3.jpg

The girls have been crucified on Gérôme's previously incinerated bodies. I am not sure that Damian would do that, although he has certainly used Gérôme backgrounds. Alas, I do not know who the manip artist is.

View attachment 543310 View attachment 543311

Are those supposed to be halos floating above the burnt crucified bodies? Odd detail for an otherwise grimly realistic painting.

Yes they are halos - not Gerome's style, and I think they have been added rather crudely. They also appear in the manip, albeit not well placed for the new crux figures.

I thought those were oval shaped, brightly bordered tituluses (tituli?).

How odd.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    40.6 KB · Views: 1,190
Another peripherally on-topic pic (eyes left in this one, people). This is a venerable Damian manip, adapted from the painting by some French dude, and reimagined by the creators of Asterix.

Defeated at Alesia, Vercingetorix throws down his arms at the feet of Caesar . . . officially, Gaul is conquered . . .

OUCH!!!!

Again folks, first picture, eyes left.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    106.7 KB · Views: 1,162
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    257.4 KB · Views: 1,079
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    144 KB · Views: 1,153
Another logical progression, this one by Ferres. I've seen his stuff around forever, and for reasons that resist analysis have never been able to warm to his style.

But I like this set, and the guy is good.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    190.3 KB · Views: 1,279
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 1,250
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    133.1 KB · Views: 1,250
From Jastrow, a variation on the old "Mother looks on in agonized horror as daughter drains unspeakable degradation to its dregs before herself being nailed naked to the cross" story, a family favorite told and retold down through the generations.

Next we have high octane blasphemy fuel, an incident during the Crucifixion not found in the canonical gospels. Some scholars interpret the female figure as Mary Magdalene, but my researches lead me to believe she is the Samaritan woman at the well in John 4:4-26, receiving the promised "living water." Artist unknown.

Compare and contrast. All papers are due on Friday.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    158.4 KB · Views: 1,257
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    246.3 KB · Views: 1,267
Back
Top Bottom