Our Fascination with the Romans, why?

Go to CruxDreams.com
But I wonder where are the barbarians when I see those "pretorians" just able to fuck a poor nailed woman ...:eek::D
On closer inspection, Those rabble are clearly not Praetorians. Based on their "Uniforms" they are most likely from XX Valeria Victrix, a band of scum that mutinied in Germany and had to be bribed back to obedience by Germanicus. While these men were nowhere near Praetorians, they are probably crucifying and raping a British woman when they invaded England under Emperor Claudius. And of course, those British don't count as people!

BTW ,don't I look manly in my new Praetorian Tribune Uniform.

Calm down girls, there's plenty of me to go around!

You should see me salute! Everyone says, "Smartly done, Tribune!"

I know well the Pretorians : I'm Messaline, the Claudius'wife and he made me killed by his Pretorian'guards !!!:eek::D
Yes, one more of our many functions is the resolving of domestic disputes. We handled that one quite well. Never had a complaint.:) Some question of infidelity, Messalina?:rolleyes:

Praetorians always get their "girl"

528.jpg

539.jpg

Praetorians always get their "girl"

528.jpg

539.jpg
There's a line I heard a long time ago, but I can't find the origin. "We don't arrest them unless we're gonna hang them." I always liked the simplicity and economy of that approach to Justice. Having learned to channel my inner Praetorian, I am gratified to live by our motto:

"Praetorians don't arrest unless we're going to crucify them." Simple, economical, equal justice. AVE PRAETORE!

I think that is a major part of it ... what other modern culture uses crucifixion as a symbol?
Maybe we have something like a holistic memory or an instinct, and crucifixion is engrained in our memory.
To die on the cross was and is the ulitamate death. Here in the forum we broke through the walls of shame and silence to talk about it. I wonder how many "normal" people are actually attracted by the issue.
Mankind hasn't changed that much since the days of the empire. If you give the masses the chance to scream "crucify", they will.

Mankind hasn't changed that much since the days of the empire. If you give the masses the chance to scream "crucify", they will.
My Grandfather was a Presbyterian Minister (I succumbed to my Mother's Lutheran faith) One of the bedrock doctrines is the "Total (or Utter) Depravity of mankind" The whole 6th Chapter of the Westminster Confession confession covers this. At our core, we are utterly rebellious against the good intentions of God and utterly devoted to our own desires. So much great art follows this.

It’s not like some of the historical crucis here can’t be Helenic or Carthaginian. I don’t see much attention to the specifics of Roman history outside of certain threads. Plus, there not much technology present. A naked woman, a cross, and some crude nails could be any time between 2000bc to 2018ad. It just seems that the middle of that range is popular for some reason...

(Maybe even earlier than that, actually. No telling if the Summerians practiced crucifixion or not. You could plausibly stretch back as far as there were stole tools and behaviorally and anatomically modern humans. I wonder who the first crucifixion victim was?)

It’s not like some of the historical crucis here can’t be Helenic or Carthaginian. I don’t see much attention to the specifics of Roman history outside of certain threads. Plus, there not much technology present. A naked woman, a cross, and some crude nails could be any time between 2000bc to 2018ad. It just seems that the middle of that range is popular for some reason...

(Maybe even earlier than that, actually. No telling if the Summerians practiced crucifixion or not. You could plausibly stretch back as far as there were stole tools and behaviorally and anatomically modern humans. I wonder who the first crucifixion victim was?)
Good observations. I think the reasons we focus on Rome are threefold. 1. The Roman Empire has a massive legacy in the Western world of law, language, culture, engineering, etc. 2. Jesus of Nazareth was crucified by the Romans around between 30-33 C.E. and that fact is still the central part of all Western culture. 3. The Roman's did a lot of recorded crucifixions: 6,000 along the Appian Way just in the in the aftermath of the Slave Wars.

My question was based on my historical knowledge of cruxing. It fell out of favor once the Christians took over the empire (although it still seems on occasion to happen).

Islamic culture carried it through till the early Middle Ages although in that case it mostly seems to have been a way to display the victim while they were tortured to death.

in Japan it occurred right up to the end of the Shogunate. China until the warlord period and maybe into WWII.

And the Roman's learned it from eastern Med cultures.

It is a fairly simple form of torment so it probably goes back fairly far.

kisses

willowfall

Back
Top Bottom