Passings...

Go to CruxDreams.com
Richard Adams died aged 96, his most famous work Watership Down was published in 1972.

Obituary

Speaking personally the first book of his I actually read (rather than watched the animated film) was Shardik. He was always a powerful and compelling writer. At least it can be said he had a good run.

After reading Watership Down, I happened upon Maia in a bookshop. 1129 pages of slavery, rape and torture (not graphic, but integral to the story). I wonder if he ever discovered this site.

Meanwhile in France :
Actress Michèle Morgan (1920-2016), during decades one of the leading ladies of French cinema, dies last week.
Actress Claude Gensac (1927-2016), less known, perhaps, but in France she was a well known comedy actress, most famous for playing 'the wife of Louis de Funes' in ten movies.

Carrie Fisher...
For those of us of certain age, she will always be our Princess.
carrie-fisher-8.jpg
But, she was also smart and funny. A few years ago she had a one-woman show that aired on HBO. It's called "Wishful Drinking", the full thing is on Youtube if you want to check it out. She talks about her Hollywood childhood, drugs, alcoholism, depression and that movie role and it's funny as hell. Here's a taste:

Richard Adams died aged 96, his most famous work Watership Down was published in 1972.

Obituary

Speaking personally the first book of his I actually read (rather than watched the animated film) was Shardik. He was always a powerful and compelling writer. At least it can be said he had a good run.
I never read "Watership Down" but I did read "Shardik". I didn't like it the first time because it was billed as a fantasy novel like LOTR but it really wasn't. I reread it later and realized how good it was.

Meanwhile in France :
Actress Michèle Morgan (1920-2016), during decades one of the leading ladies of French cinema, dies last week.
Michele Morgan has a connection to this Forum (sort of). She played the title character in 1949's "Fabiola". The first post WWII Euro-epic that featured a large number of crucified women in the arena. Sadly, Mme Morgan wasn't one of them.
23695.jpg 20984_5.jpg christian-execution-scene-fabiola-1949-bpa2ft.jpg Fabiola2-150m60.jpg vlcsnap2010111616h57m31.png

I still have that issue of Rolling Stone.
Besides the great Star Wars article, it has a great story by the good Doctor (the late great Dr. Hunter S. Thompson).:cool:

Back
Top Bottom