Passings...

Go to CruxDreams.com
Martin Landau, most famous for his role as Rollin Hand in "Mission Impossible", though he won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor for "Ed Wood" and was nominated twice more. He was offered the role of Spock in "Star Trek" and turned it down. :doh:

Rest in Peace and say hello to Leonard Nimoy up there!!

Yes, certainly a great actress though that she wasn't always at the top ... She made around 130 films, but perhaps only 30 were very good ...
I didn't like her songs : they are doing "vieillot" (out of date) ...
Anyway, she was suffisciently intelligent to set her place in this cinema'world, so merciless !;):clapping:

Yes, I only know of her in two or three films, of 'la nouvelle vague' that's a bit of cinema history that appeals to me -
she seems to have been very versatile, a wider range of acting styles than Bardot or Catherine Desneuve,
and she had a cinematic understanding from both sides of the camera.

I never liked too much the films of "la nouvelle vague" : it's not a cinema well done in my opinion ! I certainly prefer the Italian cinema, "neorealist movment" ( Visconti, Rosselini and other ...)

Robert Hardy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-40818839

A very fine actor -
this BBC report seems to be slanted towards youngsters
who've only vaguely heard of him in Harry Potter films,
but he was the outstanding performer of Winston Churchill roles,
and superb in a wide range from Shakespeare to sitcom.

Also, of interest to quite a few Cruxers, he was a seriously respected authority
on the English longbow, weapon of choice for many a Forest Amazon! :devil:

Actor Jerry Lewis (1926-2017).

Very popular in the 1950's to 1970's, but a little bit forgotten since.
Not here. Every Labor Day Weekend until 2010 he held his TV marathon for the Muscular Dystrophy Association. When I was younger it started on Saturday, ran through Sunday and late Monday and the 3 broadcast networks covered it! As he got older it was trimmed back to only labor day and one network.

Not here. Every Labor Day Weekend until 2010 he held his TV marathon for the Muscular Dystrophy Association. When I was younger it started on Saturday, ran through Sunday and late Monday and the 3 broadcast networks covered it! As he got older it was trimmed back to only labor day and one network.
Television shows in the US are hardly known on this side of the Atlantic.
The last work we have seen from Jerry Lewis here, was his movie 'Hardly Working', in the early 1980's.

One of the finest science fiction writers, Brian Aldiss:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-41003085

He was one of the SF authors I read back in the early 60s. I still remember The Long Afternoon of Earth, which was the US title for his novel Hothouse. A future where the earth has stopped rotating so that one side always faces the sun and plants have taken over everything, what an imagination!

Tobe Hooper, the horror movie pioneer whose low-budget sensation The Texas Chain Saw Massacre took a buzz saw to audiences with its brutally frightful vision, has died. He was 74.

The Los Angeles County coroner's office on Sunday said Hooper died Saturday in the Sherman Oaks area of Los Angeles. It was reported as a natural death.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...as-chain-saw-massacre-director-was-74-1032935

Guitarist, bassist, writer, and all around great musician, Walter Becker, has died at the age of 67. Becker is best known for his work as one of the two founding members of Steely Dan (apparently named after a sex toy in the novel "Naked Lunch"). Great music and a sad loss.

Guitarist, bassist, writer, and all around great musician, Walter Becker, has died at the age of 67. Becker is best known for his work as one of the two founding members of Steely Dan (apparently named after a sex toy in the novel "Naked Lunch"). Great music and a sad loss.
I just saw this on Google news... What a loss...

John Ashbery - a mighty figure in American poetry, challenging but hugely influential:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/sep/03/poet-john-ashbery-dies-age-90

Life is a Dream

A talent for self-realization
will get you only as far as the vacant lot
next to the lumber yard, where they have rollcall.
My name begins with an A,
so is one of the first to be read off.
I am wondering where to stand – could that group of three
or four others be the beginning of the line?

Before I have the chance to find out, a rodent-like
man pushes at my shoulders.
“It’s that way,” he hisses.
“Didn’t they teach you anything at school?
That a photograph
of anything can be real, or maybe not?
The corner of the stove,
a cloud of midges at dusk-time.”

I know I’ll have a chance to learn more
later on. Waiting is what’s called for, meanwhile.
It’s true that life can be anything, but certain things
definitely aren’t it. This gloved hand,
for instance, that glides
so securely into mine, as though it intends to stay.

I just saw this on Google news... What a loss...
And of course, Tree, one of Steely Dan's best songs was called Dr. Wu (Madame Wu with a bit more education?) and the lyrics start:

Katy tried
I was halfway crucified
I was on the other side
Of no tomorrow

John Ashbery - a mighty figure in American poetry, challenging but hugely influential:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/sep/03/poet-john-ashbery-dies-age-90

Life is a Dream

A talent for self-realization
will get you only as far as the vacant lot
next to the lumber yard, where they have rollcall.
My name begins with an A,
so is one of the first to be read off.
I am wondering where to stand – could that group of three
or four others be the beginning of the line?

Before I have the chance to find out, a rodent-like
man pushes at my shoulders.
“It’s that way,” he hisses.
“Didn’t they teach you anything at school?
That a photograph
of anything can be real, or maybe not?
The corner of the stove,
a cloud of midges at dusk-time.”

I know I’ll have a chance to learn more
later on. Waiting is what’s called for, meanwhile.
It’s true that life can be anything, but certain things
definitely aren’t it. This gloved hand,
for instance, that glides
so securely into mine, as though it intends to stay.
That's a terrific poem!

Back
Top Bottom