Passings...

Go to CruxDreams.com
Three of Russia? The first of the Romanovs, and -- very arguably -- the last, but who's the third?
Mikhail (Michael) Yuryevich, Prince of Torchesk, Vladimir, and Susdal and Grand Prince of Kiev; died 1176.
Michael_I_of_Kiev.jpg
Mikhail Yaroslavic (Michael of Tver), Grand Prince of Vladimir. He was executed by the Khan of the Golden Horde in 1318. Despite having constantly butted heads with the Church, he was canonized for having been killed by the heathen Tatars. It pays to be killed by the right people.
michael2.jpg
Mikhail Fyodorovich Romanov, Tsar of All the Russias, 1613 - 1645
"Russia" was a collections of principalities with dominance shifting between Novgorod, Kiev, Susdal, Vladimir and finally Moscow until Ivan IV - Ivan the Terrible - took the title of Tsar in 1574.
Michail_I._Romanov.jpg
Grand Duke Michael, the brother of Nicholas II, was named as Nicholas' successor in his letter of abdication. However, Michael refused to accept the throne.

Just saw a posting by Summerhot on Stakedamsels Firey Forum stating that Russian artist Nikolay Bessonov has passed away at the age of 55. While his name may not be well know, his series of works depicting the torture & execution witch should be very familiar to members of this forum. I have not been able to confirm his death through a Google search, but the announcement may been in Russian. If it is true, then a great artist has been lost at too young an age.
Below is a link to his witch series site:
http://www.inquisition-art.net/eng/index01_rus.htm
bessonov1.jpgbessonov2.jpgbessonov3.jpgbessonov4.jpgbessonov5.jpg

Grand Duke Michael, the brother of Nicholas II, was named as Nicholas' successor in his letter of abdication. However, Michael refused to accept the throne.
Very sensible, considering, although he ended up imprisoned and killed by the Bolsheviks anyway. :eek::doh:
Just saw a posting by Summerhot on Stakedamsels Firey Forum stating that Russian artist Nikolay Bessonov has passed away at the age of 55. While his name may not be well know, his series of works depicting the torture & execution witch should be very familiar to members of this forum. I have not been able to confirm his death through a Google search, but the announcement may been in Russian. If it is true, then a great artist has been lost at too young an age.
Below is a link to his witch series site:
http://www.inquisition-art.net/eng/index01_rus.htm
View attachment 549656View attachment 549657View attachment 549658View attachment 549659View attachment 549660
It seems to be true. This article appears to confirm Bessonov's death.
https://adcmemorial.org/www/13687.html?lang=en
It notes that he was primarily known as a painter and "champion" of the Roma people (gypsies), and many of his paintings depict Roma life. Perhaps not surprisingly, considering his other interests, his paintings of Roma life usually depict Roma women, sometimes in suggestive contexts. He also did quite a few sketches of women in prison. The witches series has quite a few interesting images.
Bessonov-Witches01.jpg

Although he does seem to have explored various themes - this one is called "Temptation":
Bessonov-Temptation.jpg

Russian artist Nikolay Bessonov has passed away at the age of 55.
So sad - a very talented artist whose work deserves a wide audience. :(

Mikhail (Michael) Yuryevich, Prince of Torchesk, Vladimir, and Susdal and Grand Prince of Kiev; died 1176.
View attachment 549643
Mikhail Yaroslavic (Michael of Tver), Grand Prince of Vladimir. He was executed by the Khan of the Golden Horde in 1318. Despite having constantly butted heads with the Church, he was canonized for having been killed by the heathen Tatars. It pays to be killed by the right people.
Grand Princes of Kiev/Vladimir/Suzdal/Tver/Yaroslavl/Pronsk (yeah, insane) are generally not regarded as rulers of all Russia, which did not exist as a unified state then (as you mention below). The best Western analogy is Italy, I suppose: no one counts Sardinian kings as kings of Italy, even with the Savoy dynasty becoming such. It helps that Russian language makes a rough distinctionon between Rus (the olden days of many princes) and Russia (no more many princes).

A case can be made that the Golden Horde khans were colonial overlords of the Russian principalities and 'rulers of all Russias', but few want to make it. :devil: Russian regnal numbering used until 1917 starts with Ivan I Kalita of early 14th century Moscow, well, as good a moment as any, given that his descendants ended up on top of the heap.

View attachment 549644
Mikhail Fyodorovich Romanov, Tsar of All the Russias, 1613 - 1645
"Russia" was a collections of principalities with dominance shifting between Novgorod, Kiev, Susdal, Vladimir and finally Moscow until Ivan IV - Ivan the Terrible - took the title of Tsar in 1574.
1547; the dominion of Moscow was made unassailable by Ivan III the Great in the late 15th century, I'd say. His wife Sophia Palaiologina helped the matters as well, bringing the double-headed eagle and the claim of Roman succession as her dowry.

Grand Princes of Kiev/Vladimir/Suzdal/Tver/Yaroslavl/Pronsk (yeah, insane) are generally not regarded as rulers of all Russia, which did not exist as a unified state then (as you mention below). The best Western analogy is Italy, I suppose: no one counts Sardinian kings as kings of Italy, even with the Savoy dynasty becoming such. It helps that Russian language makes a rough distinctionon between Rus (the olden days of many princes) and Russia (no more many princes).

A case can be made that the Golden Horde khans were colonial overlords of the Russian principalities and 'rulers of all Russias', but few want to make it. :devil: Russian regnal numbering used until 1917 starts with Ivan I Kalita of early 14th century Moscow, well, as good a moment as any, given that his descendants ended up on top of the heap.

1547; the dominion of Moscow was made unassailable by Ivan III the Great in the late 15th century, I'd say. His wife Sophia Palaiologina helped the matters as well, bringing the double-headed eagle and the claim of Roman succession as her dowry.

Damn, I always learn something new from your posts! Your depth of knowledge astounds me.

However, Michael refused to accept the throne.
Wisely, no doubt - though it didn't save him. Judging by Wiki, like the earlier Michael,
any claim to sainthood would have to depend on his death, hardly his life.

It seems to be true. This article appears to confirm Bessonov's death.
https://adcmemorial.org/www/13687.html?lang=en
It notes that he was primarily known as a painter and "champion" of the Roma people (gypsies), and many of his paintings depict Roma life. Perhaps not surprisingly, considering his other interests, his paintings of Roma life usually depict Roma women, sometimes in suggestive contexts. He also did quite a few sketches of women in prison. The witches series has quite a few interesting images.
View attachment 549661

Although he does seem to have explored various themes - this one is called "Temptation":
View attachment 549662

A blow! A very interesting obituary. I'll open a new Nikolai Bessonov thread,
copying Naraku's, Jollyrei's and Bobinder's posts to start it off,
others may care to add tributes or further favourites from his work.

In 1940, Polish citizen Kazimierz Pieckowski was locked up in the Auschwitz concentration camp as a political prisoner. On July 20th 1942, he escaped from the camp, with two others. The men had managed to steal SS-uniforms and some weapons. With a SS staff car, they drove to the main gate. Pieckowski, pulling his 'rank', yelled to the guard to open the gate. The guard obeyed the order promptly. Pieckowski and the guard exchanged military salutes according to the book, and he drove away to freedom.
He died today, aged 98.

Wisely, no doubt - though it didn't save him. Judging by Wiki, like the earlier Michael,
any claim to sainthood would have to depend on his death, hardly his life.
Timely flight abroad was the only thing working for the Romanovs in 1918.

Making saints out of the lot who didn't leave seems insane to me, but I'm a mécréant anyway. If there's a case for blaming the victims, quite a few of them fit the bill, especially that horrible black hole of a tsar; that said, their wholesale executions without trial were, to quote the Bard, nothing less than bloody tyranny.

It occurred to me to wonder, if the Romanian Parliament were to decide to restore the monarchy, who would be King Michael's successor?
A bit of Googling reveals a complicated picture. Under the Salic Law of succession, Prince Karl Friedrich of Hohenzollern is next in line,
but there's opposition (and possible legal objection) to a foreigner taking the throne, and anyway he says he's not interested.
King Michael named his daughter Princess Margareta as his heir, but the hasn't been approved by Parliament.
She seems reasonably well liked, but her husband Radu isn't. So, while there's probably a fair amount of support for the idea
in principle, it seems unlikely that there'll be a Queen or King in the near future.

Back
Top Bottom