Passings...

Go to CruxDreams.com
Albert "Chainsaw Al" Dunlap, who wrote the book "Mean Business" glorifying his exploits of running companies back to "profitability" by firing a third to half the workers and then selling the company before things hit the fan. It didn't work at Sunbeam, and the American Securities Exchange Commission fined him and banned him from corporate roles for life when he tried to hide the problems with dubiously legal accounting gimmicks. This guy was the forerunner of the "elites" who are the target of angry blue collar voters, and a big reason we have Trump and Brexit. Apparently he wasn't all that nice a guy personally either. He didn't go to the funeral of either parent, he was married twice, and one of his sons wouldn't talk to him.

Albert "Chainsaw Al" Dunlap, who wrote the book "Mean Business" glorifying his exploits of running companies back to "profitability" by firing a third to half the workers and then selling the company before things hit the fan. It didn't work at Sunbeam, and the American Securities Exchange Commission fined him and banned him from corporate roles for life when he tried to hide the problems with dubiously legal accounting gimmicks. This guy was the forerunner of the "elites" who are the target of angry blue collar voters, and a big reason we have Trump and Brexit. Apparently he wasn't all that nice a guy personally either. He didn't go to the funeral of either parent, he was married twice, and one of his sons wouldn't talk to him.

Two questions. What is his grave's location? And will it be designed to facilitate dancing on it?

Matti Nykänen (1963-2019), a Finnish ski jumping legend, one of the greatest jumpers of all time, passed away on Monday, February 4th.
P.I.P.
https://www.fis-ski.com/en/ski-jump...media/news/2018-19/matti-nykaenen-passed-away

View attachment 669360
The cause has not yet been released.
Off the slopes, Nykanen struggled with personal problems. He fought alcohol addiction, went to prison for assault and was recently diagnosed as diabetic.
https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/...ping_legend_matti_nykanen_dead_at_55/10629072
We put sports stars and other celebrities on pedestals like ancient gods, but they are still, in fact, only human.

Don't forget 2,943 hits and 586 home runs. Not the kind of guy you wanted to see playing against your team. It clearly wasn't the smartest trade Cincinnati made.

One of the all time major league worst (if you're a Cincy fan) or best (if an Os fan like me) trades. Milt Pappas (who went to the Reds) had been a very good --but not great-- pitcher in B'more, but he didn't do much for the Reds. The other two guys they got for Robinson were journeymen at best.

When Jim Bouton was asked, how do you pitch to Frank Robinson, he said, "Reluctantly."

Karl Lagerfeld, Chanel fashion designer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47293612

To be honest, I've never been all that impressed by his designs -
fun party-frocks, if someone bought me one I wouldn't refuse to wear it,
but not dresses I'd feel I must have.

People may bet a little sated with posts about American baseball, but "jocks" and entertainers really accelerated the civil rights movement and didn't have such an easy time doing it. And in those days, studios and team owners had a lot of monopoly power over salaries.

Attachments

• donnewcombe.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 6
Back
Top Bottom