Passings...

Go to CruxDreams.com
Karl Lagerfeld, Chanel fashion designer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47293612

To be honest, I've never been all that impressed by his designs -
fun party-frocks, if someone bought me one I wouldn't refuse to wear it,
but not dresses I'd feel I must have.

The key is "if someone bought me one". Any fan of the old Scot Scrooge McDuck would wilt at the price, and never BUY one.

Peter Tork of the Monkeys

Many of us grew up with this man on our TV screens.
A manufactured band, but with some great songwriters and engaging personality they became part of the soundtrack of their time.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-47319788

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/02/21/entertainment/peter-tork-dead/index.html

https://www.triplem.com.au/story/the-monkees-peter-tork-has-died-at-77-129205
Peter and Mike Nesmeth were the only two that could play their instruments....

A couple of interesting tidbits about Mike Nesmith. His mother, while working as a secretary, invented liquid paper and sold it eventually for almost $50 million in 1979 (probably worth $200 million or so in today's money). For those of you too young to remember, in the pre-computer age letters were typed on something called a typewriter. Before liquid paper, errors meant starting over from the beginning. If I had to do that, O would never get past Chapter 1 in any of my stories (maybe that would be a good thing?).

Mike went on to the movies and was Executive Producer of the 1980s cult film Repo Man.

All four were musicians. They did play their own instruments on tour and on their last two albums. The assignment of who played what was based more on marketing concerns than musicianship. Davy Jones was a very good drummer, but he was the "cute one" so the producers wanted him out front. Besides, he was so short he couldn't be seen behind the drums. Nesmith admitted that Tork was a better guitarist than he was. Tork said that, based on abilities, he should have been on guitar, Nesmith on bass, Jones on drums and Dolenz, who had played guitar in a band before joining the show, should have been lead vocals.

The conductor and composer André Previn has died at his home in New York aged 89.

A legendary conductor, Previn wrote the musical Scores for My Fair Lady, Irma La Douce, Porgy and Bess and Gigi.

What more needs to be said. My only problem is which of those four will I listen to first! (actually not hard, Gigi and then MFL)

A bad day.
Luke Perry, not someone I had much interest in, but he was several years younger than me which is always sobering.
And the man I think of as Keith Prodigy, again only 49, and in tragic circumstances apparently.
Couldn't get a more different pair, RIP
2588.jpg1000.jpg

Patrick Sercu, track racing champion.

These were the days when professional cycling was a year round job : in the summer the road competitions, in the winter track competitions, (and some even did cyclo-cross in between). Long before the times when a season was ‘planned’ : spring classics, or the Giro, the Tour and the Vuelta, or the autumn classics and the world championship.

Belgian ex-cyclist Patrick Sercu (1944 – 2019) is most likely the greatest track racer off all times, winning 88 Six-Days competitions between 1964 and 1983. Still a record! He also had Olympic Gold (Tokyo 1964), got two times World Champion (and three times silver medal), several times European and national champion, and established three world records in track disciplines.

In summer, when the tracks were closed, Sercu rode classics and the Grand Tours, won the green jersey in the Tour de France in 1974, and won all together about 94 road victories, including six stages in the Tour and eleven in the Giro, and the overall victory in one Tour of Sardinia.

Doris Day
View attachment 706315
Died at 97
Not the sexiest actress, but one who gave great joy to many, including me.
"Doris Day, versatile singer, actress, TV star, animal activist and radiant icon of sunny, funny femininity has died early Monday at age 97."
Sunny Funny Femininity! Nothing wrong with that!:clapping:

Back
Top Bottom