Passings...

Go to CruxDreams.com
Bob Hawk, significant post war Australian Prime Minister
https://www.theguardian.com/austral...-former-australian-prime-minister-dies-age-89

Renowned for his larrikin behaviour and heavy drinking during his younger years when he was leader of the trade union movement, Hawke brought a common touch to the job of prime minister and an ability to connect with the Australian public.

(his government is) remembered for its reforming zeal and for modernising the Australian economy, including floating the Australian dollar, removing tariffs and modernising industrial awards

and of course

Former Australian Prime Minister Bob Hawke was previously the world record holder for the fastest drinking of a yard of beer, when he downed a sconce pot in eleven seconds as part of a traditional Oxford college penalty.

and

(ex wife) Hazel Hawke said in one interview she realised Hawke was serious about becoming prime minister when he gave up drinking

He dies right on the eve of a hard fought and very close federal election, this Saturday. Will his death have any impact, I wonder?

Last edited:
Tim Conway, one of the funniest people to have ever been on TV
Amen

Former Australian Prime Minister Bob Hawke was previously the world record holder for the fastest drinking of a yard of beer, when he downed a sconce pot in eleven seconds as part of a traditional Oxford college penalty.
A truely great man. We did those yards in college too, I was never under a minute!
BAR-019.jpg2 1⁄2 imperial pints (1.4 L for the measurement impaired)
For those without a proper education, it was originally invented in Britain (I defer the argument - sure the Scots will claim the origin) for coach drivers. At a post stop, they could hand the glass up to him to wet his whistle without having to climb down. Also resulted in a more exciting next segment for the passengers.

Amen

A truely great man. We did those yards in college too, I was never under a minute!
View attachment 7071732 1⁄2 imperial pints (1.4 L for the measurement impaired)
For those without a proper education, it was originally invented in Britain (I defer the argument - sure the Scots will claim the origin) for coach drivers. At a post stop, they could hand the glass up to him to wet his whistle without having to climb down. Also resulted in a more exciting next segment for the passengers.
I have one of those!

sure the Scots will claim the origin
No, the idea of drinking as a form of punishment is not one that would occur to any Scot! :p

What's being referred to is the practice of 'sconcing', I often heard of it, but never witnessed it. Here's Wiki's account - as it says, sconce pots of different colleges vary in size, I've no idea what they have at Univ, Bob Hawks's college, but not necessarily the same as a 'yard of ale':

Sconcing is a tradition at Oxford University of demanding that a person drink a tankard of ale or some other alcoholic beverage as a penalty for some breach of etiquette. Originally the penalty would have been a simple monetary fine imposed for a more serious breach of discipline, and the word is known to have been used in this sense as early as 1617.

Minor offences for which a sconce might have been imposed included talking at dinner about women, religion, politics or one's work, referring to the portraits hung in the college hall, or making an error in the pronunciation of the Latin Grace.

History
The power to impose a sconce was not originally given to all present at a dinner. It might instead have been reserved for the person presiding on High Table, or perhaps the senior Scholar or other undergraduate at each table. Anyone feeling a sconce was deserved would be required to ask for its imposition (often in a "scholarly" language such as Latin or Ancient Greek). Should their request be granted a large vessel, usually full of beer, would be called for and the offender would have to attempt to drink it down in one go (perhaps while standing on the table). The amount of a sconce varied from two imperial pints (1.1 l) at Corpus, Oriel or Jesus, up to three and three-quarters imperial pints (2.1 l) at St John's. Several colleges retain impressive antique "sconce pots" in their silver collections.

In the event that a person failed to drain his sconce, he was generally required to pay for the contents. It was also once relatively common for the sconced person to choose to share the contents of the sconce with their neighbours at table, thereby making amends to the "victims" of the original breach of good manners.

No, the idea of drinking as a form of punishment is not one that would occur to any Scot! :p

What's being referred to is the practice of 'sconcing', I often heard of it, but never witnessed it. Here's Wiki's account - as it says, sconce pots of different colleges vary in size, I've no idea what they have at Univ, Bob Hawks's college, but not necessarily the same as a 'yard of ale':

Sconcing is a tradition at Oxford University of demanding that a person drink a tankard of ale or some other alcoholic beverage as a penalty for some breach of etiquette. Originally the penalty would have been a simple monetary fine imposed for a more serious breach of discipline, and the word is known to have been used in this sense as early as 1617.

Minor offences for which a sconce might have been imposed included talking at dinner about women, religion, politics or one's work, referring to the portraits hung in the college hall, or making an error in the pronunciation of the Latin Grace.

History
The power to impose a sconce was not originally given to all present at a dinner. It might instead have been reserved for the person presiding on High Table, or perhaps the senior Scholar or other undergraduate at each table. Anyone feeling a sconce was deserved would be required to ask for its imposition (often in a "scholarly" language such as Latin or Ancient Greek). Should their request be granted a large vessel, usually full of beer, would be called for and the offender would have to attempt to drink it down in one go (perhaps while standing on the table). The amount of a sconce varied from two imperial pints (1.1 l) at Corpus, Oriel or Jesus, up to three and three-quarters imperial pints (2.1 l) at St John's. Several colleges retain impressive antique "sconce pots" in their silver collections.

In the event that a person failed to drain his sconce, he was generally required to pay for the contents. It was also once relatively common for the sconced person to choose to share the contents of the sconce with their neighbours at table, thereby making amends to the "victims" of the original breach of good manners.
Eulalia, you are a remarkable fount of information!!
I just drank the beer.
BTW, there were two different yard glasses, the full yard and the half yard! The full yard was as it says while the half yard was shorter.

History

OK, so you're saying that Scots will happily drink anything that has alcohol in it? Taste is irrelevant? The only exception is watered down beer?

IM Pei, probably the most famous architect of the modern era is dead at 102. Among his most famous buildings are the East Wing of the National Gallery in Washington, the Kennedy Library in Boston, the Museum of Islamic Art in Doha, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland and the pyramid at the Louvre.

Not that I’m complaining, mind you. Norman Lloyd started acting in 1932.

He’s 104. Obits yet to be written.

Attachments

• E02F9AE9-2959-4D8C-A071-BFDBBE71250D.jpeg
    E02F9AE9-2959-4D8C-A071-BFDBBE71250D.jpeg
    38.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 6E7979CA-30C3-4720-B702-67032CE3AA12.jpeg
    6E7979CA-30C3-4720-B702-67032CE3AA12.jpeg
    28.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 4AC9FB8F-DBA8-4B9D-B3F1-4AC1CAA3E767.jpeg
    4AC9FB8F-DBA8-4B9D-B3F1-4AC1CAA3E767.jpeg
    23.3 KB · Views: 7
It’s possible the European, Asian and Oz people never heard of him, but author Herman Wouk just checked out 10 days shy of 104.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/caine-mutiny-winds-war-author-herman-wouk-died-160033822.html

Is it just me, or has there been an uptick in centenarians in the obituaries lately?
The number of people living past 100 is the highest it has ever been, (I'm talking about the 1st world, it's still rare elsewhere). Twenty years ago someone celebrating their 100th birthday got coverage on the local news. Now, it won't even get a paragraph in the local papers.

The number of people living past 100 is the highest it has ever been, (I'm talking about the 1st world, it's still rare elsewhere). Twenty years ago someone celebrating their 100th birthday got coverage on the local news. Now, it won't even get a paragraph in the local papers.

Suits me.

Austrian former Formula 1 World Champion (1975, 1977, 1984) Niki Lauda (1949-2019) has died. A F1 icon from the Seventies. In those days, when dead was often around near the F1 racing circuits, he almost lost his life in a heavy crash on the Nürnburgring (August 1st 1976). Severly burned, but six weeks later, he was already back, and he would miss the 1976 World Championship, with only one point difference from James Hunt.

After his 1977 victory, he retired and started his own airline, Lauda Air. But financial problems with his enterprise drew him back to F1 racing, and he won a third World Championship in 1984. Then, he returned to his airline, which had a drawback when, in May 1991, a crash occurred in Thailand, killing all 223 on board. Shocked, Lauda intended to resign, but the investigation proved, the airline had no blame in the accident. Lauda Air was later sold to Austrian Airlines, but Lauda remained in the airline business.

Due to inhaling hot toxic gases during his 1976 accident, he had lung and kidney problems the rest of his life, which became fatal for him last Monday.

Back
Top Bottom