Passings...

Go to CruxDreams.com
Austrian former Formula 1 World Champion (1975, 1977, 1984) Niki Lauda (1949-2019) has died. A F1 icon from the Seventies. In those days, when dead was often around near the F1 racing circuits, he almost lost his life in a heavy crash on the Nürnburgring (August 1st 1976). Severly burned, but six weeks later, he was already back, and he would miss the 1976 World Championship, with only one point difference from James Hunt.

After his 1977 victory, he retired and started his own airline, Lauda Air. But financial problems with his enterprise drew him back to F1 racing, and he won a third World Championship in 1984. Then, he returned to his airline, which had a drawback when, in May 1991, a crash occurred in Thailand, killing all 223 on board. Shocked, Lauda intended to resign, but the investigation proved, the airline had no blame in the accident. Lauda Air was later sold to Austrian Airlines, but Lauda remained in the airline business.

Due to inhaling hot toxic gases during his 1976 accident, he had lung and kidney problems the rest of his life, which became fatal for him last Monday.
R.I.P Niki Lauda.

June 1, 1943, Leslie Howard (Steiner) died when the civilian aircraft he was on from Lisbon to London was shot down over the Bay of Biscay.
He won fame and praise for Berkeley Square (1933) and Pygmalion (1938). But is most remembered for playing Ashley Wilkes, Scarlett O'Hara's "true love" in Gone with the Wind, (1939). He was also a director and producer and wrote many published stories and articles. During the war he produced anti-Nazi propaganda stories and films. Joseph Goebbels considered him the most dangerous British propagandists (perhaps due to that that that he was ridiculed personally in one of Howard's films.
In Romeo and Juliette (1936) with Norma Shearer:
Leslie_Howard_and_Norma_Shearer_as_Romeo_and_Juliet.jpg

June 1, 1943, Leslie Howard (Steiner) died when the civilian aircraft he was on from Lisbon to London was shot down over the Bay of Biscay.
He won fame and praise for Berkeley Square (1933) and Pygmalion (1938). But is most remembered for playing Ashley Wilkes, Scarlett O'Hara's "true love" in Gone with the Wind, (1939). He was also a director and producer and wrote many published stories and articles. During the war he produced anti-Nazi propaganda stories and films. Joseph Goebbels considered him the most dangerous British propagandists (perhaps due to that that that he was ridiculed personally in one of Howard's films.
In Romeo and Juliette (1936) with Norma Shearer:
View attachment 712732
was also in '' The first of the few"(1942) the story of RJ Mitchell and the birth of the Spitfire

Most Americans still think of him as Ashley in "Gone With the Wind," but I rather think he had more fun as Percy in "The Scarlet Pimpernel."

Dr. John, the legendary New Orleans musician died yesterday at the age of 77. His real name was Malcolm John Rebennack and he wasn't really a doctor, but he sure was good.
Enjoy
The Night Tripper is gone at only 77?:(:oops::( Mac Rebennack, the nine fingered pianist! His performance at "The Last Waltz"

"If I don't do it, somebody else will"! What a great line!!:clapping::headbang:

And a bunch of great movies.
'Jesus of Nazareth' too - find it on YouTube when you've got 6 hours 20 minutes to spare!
But here's a clip from his 'Romeo and Juliet'

Gloria Vanderbilt checked out at 95. Her son works for CNN, and gave her this tribute earlier today.

Gloria Vanderbilt checked out at 95. Her son works for CNN, and gave her this tribute earlier today.

When I was a child, my mother talked of the famous custody trial and the press's name for her in the midst of the terrrible Depression:

"Poor Little Rich Girl"

Cartoonist Guillermo Mordillo has passed away on the Spanish island of Mallorca, on June 29, aged 86. Not as well known in the USA as in Europe, perhaps, but anyone who is fond of jigsaw puzzles with funny themes would likely have seen some of his work.
Mordillo1.jpg Mordillo2.jpg Mordillo3.jpg

I was feigning ignorance. My family's first new car after the War (that meant WWII when I was growing up!) was a Mercury. Though later we became an Oldsmobile family (another extinct brand) following the strange custom of being committed to a particular car make.

My family's been in the Ford dealership business since 1916. I’ve been driving Ford vehicles since the Reagan administration.

So two years ago My Lady and I bought a Chevy Cruze, one of the last sedans available from a domestic carmaker. My aversion and contempt for FUVs overcame my brand loyalty to Dearborn.

My family's been in the Ford dealership business since 1916. I’ve been driving Ford vehicles since the Reagan administration.

So two years ago My Lady and I bought a Chevy Cruze, one of the last sedans available from a domestic carmaker. My aversion and contempt for FUVs overcame my brand loyalty to Dearborn.
Like my Father-in-Law who fought in the Pacific. He would have undergone torture rather than buying a Jap or a Nazi car. British, French, Italian? Surely you jest!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom