Passings...

Go to CruxDreams.com
Steven Gubser, a Bright Star in the Physics Universe, Dies at 47 https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/06/...ml?action=click&module=Latest&pgtype=Homepage

He was working on a "theory of everything" trying to unite quantum physics and general relativity. He was also an accomplished rock climber, like his father before him, and died climbing near Mont Blanc. Apparently quite a few physicists are into rock climbing and another one, Ann Nelson, died very recently in a climbing accident in Washington State.

Steven Gubser, a Bright Star in the Physics Universe, Dies at 47 https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/06/...ml?action=click&module=Latest&pgtype=Homepage

He was working on a "theory of everything" trying to unite quantum physics and general relativity. He was also an accomplished rock climber, like his father before him, and died climbing near Mont Blanc. Apparently quite a few physicists are into rock climbing and another one, Ann Nelson, died very recently in a climbing accident in Washington State.
It seems odd that physicists would be into rock climbing. I would think they would be more aware of gravity than most people. But, maybe that's the appeal: to be able to defy a force they know so well.

The obituary you cite says that he felt the same sense of accomplishment climbing rocks that he did solving problems. It isn't really daredevil stuff--it's not as dangerous as racing motorcycles or cars, and it isn't so much the danger that is attractive as the effort required and the sense of accomplishment .
Fermi used to hike all over mountainous terrain. He considered his intellect a "great gift" for which he could take no credit, but being in good shape even when he was older was something he did himself and was proud of.
Dirac ("the strangest man" who ever visited Bohr in Copenhagen, according to Bohr) used to climb trees--even in a suit--on occasion, and was a gardener. It was hard to get him to talk, though.
Oppenheimer read religious texts in Sanskrit. Dirac asked him once why he was wasting his time on that kind of thing.
These folks are interested in things the implications of which the rest of us don't even understand so well. It is no surprise to me that they get satisfaction from nature and notice things that we might miss, and that they like to do things that give a sense of satisfaction. I wouldn't expect them to play video games. If they do computers, they do them to understand how computers work and what the possibilities are and try to push them to their limits.
Einstein, like most European physicists, was a serious violin player. The intricacies of music apparently attracted them.
You can read Feynman's books (and "Tuva or Bust")--they are still in print so he really provided for his widowed third wife (only one divorce because his first wife Arlene died of TB while he was at Los Alamos) in a kind of an offbeat way--to see the kind of curiosity these people have. (Feynman certainly had a large ego, but he also had an objective view of the world, and was mostly honest about his foibles.) Someone said there are two kinds of geniuses. You can look at what the first kind does and say to yourself that you could probably have done that if you worked all the time and didn't eat or sleep. You look at what the second kind does (the "magician") and you haven't a clue about how you would even get started. Feynman was a "magician". (He didn't play classical music, but he was into drumming to relax, and he was certainly interested in sex.)
All of this is interesting psychology.
I attach Feynman's chapter on Japan. It shows a curiosity, a respect for other cultures and people, and at the same time a willingness to tell it like he sees it. It certainly isn't chauvinistic or condescending.

This is my take, anyway.

Attachments

• Would You Solve the Dirac Equation.docx
    20.9 KB · Views: 7
It seems odd that physicists would be into rock climbing. I would think they would be more aware of gravity than most people. But, maybe that's the appeal: to be able to defy a force they know so well.
Gravity is ingrained in the soul of Physicists. The first thing you study in Physics is Kinematics, the study of motion. But even before that we all experience ballistics, the study of thrown objects. Note that no one needs to learn physics equations to throw a ball. Our brains are hard-wired for this. We learn the calculations naturally. How does a baseball player throw a ball from the outfield and hit his target within a few feet of less? A scientist (unfortunately my memory of his name has gone) argued that the reason we were able to send a man to the moon was that our near ancestors were arboreal primates. He jocularly said, the apes who couldn't instantly calculate the trajectory under the influence of gravity from one branch to the next, did not reproduce.
Galileo, the father of physics worked mostly on gravity, Newton is know for his gravity work and Einstein tried to imagine gravity being like an elevator.

Physicists revel in gravity.

Today marks the 18th Anniversary of 9/11.
Lest we forget. R.I.P.

Absolutely.
And we remember a member of our community who was lost that day. Some here knew her, although she was lost before this group was formed, a member of the old Crux group. Lively, fun, and very much missed.
Taryn, you remain in our hearts, never to grow old.

Ode2Taryn01.jpgTaryn Remembered 2011.jpgTaryn.jpg

Last edited:
Absolutely.
And we remember a member of our community who was lost that day. Some here knew her, although she was lost before this group was formed, a member of the old Crux group. Lively, fun, and very much missed.
Taryn, you remain in our hearts, never to grow old.

View attachment 748642View attachment 748643View attachment 748644

I agree wholeheartedly

I believe Noble Vulchur drew this for Taryn before 9/11.

An excellent likeness.

Attachments

• D5A829B2-FCAA-426C-BEA8-7104276DCB69.jpeg
    D5A829B2-FCAA-426C-BEA8-7104276DCB69.jpeg
    905.6 KB · Views: 66
  • B0641E01-309A-4944-B601-3E42962C1FD7.jpeg
    B0641E01-309A-4944-B601-3E42962C1FD7.jpeg
    133.4 KB · Views: 65
A great lady whose illustrations taught me most of what I know about wild flowers -Marjorie Netta Blamey MBE (1918- September 8, 2019) was an English painter and illustrator, particularly noted for her botanical illustrations for which she has been described "the finest living botanical illustrator", "the best contemporary botanical illustrator" and "the top illustrator in Europe" in reviews around the world

1568488786070.png

Gravity is ingrained in the soul of Physicists. The first thing you study in Physics is Kinematics, the study of motion. But even before that we all experience ballistics, the study of thrown objects. Note that no one needs to learn physics equations to throw a ball. Our brains are hard-wired for this. We learn the calculations naturally. How does a baseball player throw a ball from the outfield and hit his target within a few feet of less? A scientist (unfortunately my memory of his name has gone) argued that the reason we were able to send a man to the moon was that our near ancestors were arboreal primates. He jocularly said, the apes who couldn't instantly calculate the trajectory under the influence of gravity from one branch to the next, did not reproduce.
Galileo, the father of physics worked mostly on gravity, Newton is know for his gravity work and Einstein tried to imagine gravity being like an elevator.

Physicists revel in gravity.
And, as Feynman said, "nobody understands quantum mechanics". Merging gravity and quantum mechanics is the holy grail. It means that Kelvin's rather stupid pre-quantum remark that "there is nothing new in physics now" is still stupid. There's a long way to go yet. The real kicker would be if the laws actually change as we go (whatever "go" means--time is implicit in that). That would be real "perpetual motion".

And, as Feynman said, "nobody understands quantum mechanics".

The problem is that our brain is not designed to understand such complicated theories. To make things worse, for thousands of years, mankind has been selected on followers of myths, legends and believers in a god. Those who did not, and tried to find logic answers, were suspicious (because, basically, they challenged someone’s claim to power, derived on the myths and gods) and they were killed. So, throughout evolution, mankind has become dumber and dumber and its brain was even more and more elongated from understanding the universe. Now that we finally got the technological means and the liberties to explore these things, we are stuck with a brain that prefers stories of trolls, sorcerers and demons, or of supercreatures with a white beard and a white gown sitting on a cloud in the heavens and getting pissed off when a man and a woman are eating apples in his garden.:(

The problem is that our brain is not designed to understand such complicated theories. To make things worse, for thousands of years, mankind has been selected on followers of myths, legends and believers in a god. Those who did not, and tried to find logic answers, were suspicious (because, basically, they challenged someone’s claim to power, derived on the myths and gods) and they were killed. So, throughout evolution, mankind has become dumber and dumber and its brain was even more and more elongated from understanding the universe. Now that we finally got the technological means and the liberties to explore these things, we are stuck with a brain that prefers stories of trolls, sorcerers and demons, or of supercreatures with a white beard and a white gown sitting on a cloud in the heavens and getting pissed off when a man and a woman are eating apples in his garden.:(
Though I don´t share your view on the evolution of the human brain, I am sure too, that religions have cost science a few hundred years.
believe.jpg

Ms. Roberts was not known outside the States, but she was one of the unambiguously good things that ever came out of Louisiana.

Back
Top Bottom