Passings...

Go to CruxDreams.com
Another rock & roll original has passed. Ric Ocasek, co-founder, lead singer and principal song writer of The Cars, died Sunday at the age of 75.
I was always a fan of his music and was impressed by the fact that a guy that looked like that managed to get Paulina Porizkova to marry him.

The author, Al Alvarez. He was also an early advocate of the poetry of Syvia Plath (though interestingly, although his obituaries mention this, Wikipedia doesn't, despite the fact he is well known for it). He was also the only poet I know who liked to risk his life with extreme mountain climbing - something he called "feeding the rat".

Oh, Alvarez was an important figure in the world of poetry in Britain in the post-war years - as a student I read his 'Beyond the gentility principle', it was the introduction to his 'New Poetry' anthology in 1962, and seen as a landmark - even 40 years later it made a strong impression on me, like a refreshing blast of fresh air. I confess, though, that I didn't know he was still (until just now) alive.

Last edited:
Robert Hunter, the most important member of The Grateful Dead - even though he never appeared on stage with them - has died at the age of 78.
"Sometimes the lights all shining on me
Other times I can barely see
Lately it occurs to me
What a long strange trip it's been"

Character actor and cult phenom, Sid Haig has died at the age of 80.

Robert Hunter, the most important member of The Grateful Dead - even though he never appeared on stage with them - has died at the age of 78.
"Sometimes the lights all shining on me
Other times I can barely see
Lately it occurs to me
What a long strange trip it's been"
A great lyricist. Will be greatly missed.
I REALLY THINK THAT IT WOULD BE APPROPRIATE FOR ME TO COMMENT ON THIS, CONSIDERING THEY WERE CALLED, THE GRATEFUL DEAD. HERE'S ME POSING FOR ONE OF THEIR ALBUM COVERS. I DID A FEW FOR THEM. ;) :D
de765c754354531bf38dc7be4d343707.jpg

A great lyricist. Will be greatly missed.
I REALLY THINK THAT IT WOULD BE APPROPRIATE FOR ME TO COMMENT ON THIS, CONSIDERING THEY WERE CALLED, THE GRATEFUL DEAD. HERE'S ME POSING FOR ONE OF THEIR ALBUM COVERS. I DID A FEW FOR THEM. ;) :D
de765c754354531bf38dc7be4d343707.jpg

Love those cool blood-red shades ... very sheik. :rolleyes:

Jacques Chirac (1932-2019), former president of France (from 1995 to 2007). His first term (1995-2002) was the last seven-years term under the 5th Republic. It has since been reduced to five years. He was twice Prime Minister (1974-1976 and 1986-1988), and mayor of Paris (1977 - 1995), a function he had restored during his first term as Prime Minister, since Paris had no longer a mayor after the Commune in 1871.

As president of France, he was also co-head of state of Andorra (the other one is a Spanish bisshop).

Also of France's overseas territories: French Guiana, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Mayotte and Réunion.

Probably best (or worst, depending on your point of view) known in USA
for not joining France in with the invasion of Iraq in 2003.

Also of France's overseas territories: French Guiana, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Mayotte and Réunion.

Probably best (or worst, depending on your point of view) known in USA
for not joining France in with the invasion of Iraq in 2003.
Chirac was a reputed womaniser too. But in bed, it had to go fast. His nickname was : "Mister three minutes, showering included".

Diahann Carroll

was best known in the US for "Julia"

in which she played a Vietnam War widowed nurse, who spoon fed ca. 1970 white America the notion that a black woman could be something other than a maid.

That, and she was drop dead gorgeous.

Attachments

• 1FC74B92-7528-4513-B3CC-EAAF64C2898B.jpeg
    1FC74B92-7528-4513-B3CC-EAAF64C2898B.jpeg
    44.8 KB · Views: 17
Diahann Carroll

was best known in the US for "Julia"

in which she played a Vietnam War widowed nurse, who spoon fed ca. 1970 white America the notion that a black woman could be something other than a maid.

That, and she was drop dead gorgeous.
She also had a good voice (and, yes, 60s fashion had its atrocious moments)

Alexei Leonov (1934-2019), a Soviet (Russian) cosmonaut, the first man to go into open space, died on October 11 at the age of 85. He was also an artist who painted on the theme of space.

With Leonov gone, there is only Valentina Teresjkova, first woman in space, still alive from the pre-Soyuz years.

As pic #10 shows, Leonov was also on board of the Apollo-Soyuz project in 1975. In the Apollo was Tom Stafford. Leonov and Stafford, both should have walked on the moon during their life, that encounter should have taken place on the Lunar surface!

Both US and Soviet propaganda, presenting Cosmonauts as obedient executives, or perfect heroes, concealing the real professionalism of people like Leonov (e.g. the way he and Belyayev coped with perils and dangers of the Voskhod 2 flight, working in a cramped space), a professionalism wich only became apparent after the Cold War.

Back
Top Bottom