Passings...

Go to CruxDreams.com
That made me wince at the thought of how Leavis would have reacted to that!

Something in translation for poetry lovers:

Karashnikov’s “Another Christmas of Agony”

Mischa the dog lies dead in the bog.
The children cry over the carcass.
The mist chokes my heart, covers the mourners.
At least this year we eat.

And here is a moving recitation of it:

Perhaps it should have been by Kalashnikov (of AK 47 fame).

I seem to be having one of those months where a lot of people who made an impact on me of one sort or another have died.

Robert Evans, 1930-2019, film executive, producer and mentor to film-makers such as Francis Ford Coppola and Roman Polanski, and the father figure to some great movies, including The Godfather, Chinatown, The Conversation, and Serpico.

Virginia Leith

was never an A-list star, but she never lacked for work, which is better than most actors can say. And being remembered for one of the campiest movies ever

2B022BEA-6B64-44AD-84FD-5006602A0818.jpeg

isn’t that bad a legacy.

A tribute to the 90 persons who were killed at the Bataclan ( Paris ) there were 4 years ago ; they were not stars , only simple people wanted to hear their preferate music ; them and their families deserve a "passings" ...

Attachments

• 151202-world-paris-bataclan-810a-jpg-0808_28769ab66b3f5cdfcd8f6ea85d36a885.nbcnews-fp-1200-800.jpg
    151202-world-paris-bataclan-810a-jpg-0808_28769ab66b3f5cdfcd8f6ea85d36a885.nbcnews-fp-1200-800.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 46
  • unnamed.png
    unnamed.png
    583.9 KB · Views: 37
Raymond Poulidor (1936-2019), France, former professional cyclist.

His nickname was 'The Eternal Second', which he particularly had earned for finishing three times second and five times third in the Tour de France. One other particular detail : he never wore a yellow jersey in the Tour, despite his long career (he only stopped aged 41).

During this career, he had to cope first against Anquetil, then against Merckx. but despite often being 'second', he won the Spanish Vuelta in 1964, and several classics and smaller multi-day events like Paris-Nice and Dauphiné-libéré.

I wasn't sure where to put this. Grace Millane was not famous in life, but her death has raised the question in court of whether BDSM is "mainstream and socially acceptable".

A sad story - play safe

Yes, glad you've posted that Phlebas, it's a thought-provoking case -
' more young women “owning” their sexuality
and being unafraid of asking for what they wanted – or didn’t want' -
I think that's true, and good - but as this sad case shows,
there are risks, drink, drugs, or sheer sadism, can make it all go terribly wrong.

Gahan Wilson, who drew cartoons the human brain can never unsee for over 50 years, has died at 89.

More than any of us, he could see what lay beyond.

8B9D452D-0BFF-4A81-8731-851680A9BBF2.jpeg

I loved his cartoons

The first of his cartoons I ever saw, at the age of 8, sneaking a peek at a book in the grownup section of the local library.

I will now adjourn to soak in a warm bath of nostalgia. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• E74313AE-05B3-461E-88DC-76FE239F5C31.jpeg
    E74313AE-05B3-461E-88DC-76FE239F5C31.jpeg
    809.2 KB · Views: 47
Gahan Wilson, who drew cartoons the human brain can never unsee for over 50 years, has died at 89.

More than any of us, he could see what lay beyond.

View attachment 781692
Was always the indisputable master of the macabre.

One of his classics:
external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

Sir Stephen Cleobury - Director of Music at King's College Cambridge,
until last year, responsible for what is, for a great many people in Britain
and wherever the BBC World Service reaches - the beginning of Christmas

Back
Top Bottom