Passings...

Go to CruxDreams.com
There's a lot of talk today of 'toxic fumes' from the White Island eruption too,
I haven't heard any more specific description - but they're a hazard for the brave
troops and police that are going to try to find the bodies -
as well as the risk of further eruption with out warning, of course.
Along with water vapor in the form of super-heated steam and CO2, volcanoes produce large quantities of sulfur dioxide which can be lethal. They also can produce hydrogen sulfide, hydrogen chloride, and hydrogen fluoride; all of which can kill you. Given that the volcano could vent large amounts of these gases without actually "erupting", the NZ recovery teams are taking a considerable risk.

A tragedy in New Zealand, my homeland.
Five deaths and several missing after volcano erupts.
That is tragic Gibbs, I heard some of those people were right at the rim of the crater when it erupted, that would have been hopeless.
Current figures are 6 dead, 30 or so more or less badly injured,
and either 8 or 11 still missing, the reports vary.
A lot of those people in New Zealand were on a CRUISE ship--come see the bubbly, cuddly, active volcano.
The problem with modern technological civilization is that no one gives the earth any credit. It is a formidable thing, we not only don't understand it, we can't control it, and if it goes off we have no defense. A little humility would be in order. I hope the cruise ship owners are sued into bankruptcy. I hope New Zealand's government does a re-think about what they allow--it is unfortunately a very rare civil servant who will stand up to money, and when one does that person usually loses a job.
It is always easy in hindsight to criticize people, but those tourists were there on their own free will and only because the volcano was still active. Everyone knows that eruptions (and "burps" like in this case) are not predictable.
There are countless volcanos that could erupt any day but people live nearby and push it to the back of their minds.
Years ago I visited the Bay of Naples, sightseeing Naples, the beaches and of course Pompeji. The whole day nobody seemed to be the least affected because the Vesuv being near by. Myself I couldn´t suppress the thought that the people of Pompeji too haven´t been keeping in mind the danger they lived in. As informative and captivating the facts about Pompeji have been, and as wonderful as the landscape is - I was glad when we got 100 km between the volcano and us.

Along with water vapor in the form of super-heated steam and CO2, volcanoes produce large quantities of sulfur dioxide which can be lethal. They also can produce hydrogen sulfide, hydrogen chloride, and hydrogen fluoride; all of which can kill you. Given that the volcano could vent large amounts of these gases without actually "erupting", the NZ recovery teams are taking a considerable risk.
You can add boiling hot sulfuric acid and hydrochloric acid to the mix!

Indeed, Neapolitans and Sicilians accept the possibility with a shrug. I've been close to active volcanoes in Iceland - they say there's generally some warning signs before they erupt, but not always. Like sailing o nthe open ocean, and many other thrilling things we can do in our lives, there's a balance of risk. I wouldn't go against advice of people I could trust to give sensible warnings, but as far as White Island is concerned, I don't think it's clear yet whether such warnings were given and ignored.

You can add boiling hot sulfuric acid and hydrochloric acid to the mix!
Yes, the smell of a solfatara is something you don't forget. Nor the heat of the surrounding sand.

Indeed, Neapolitans and Sicilians accept the possibility with a shrug. I've been close to active volcanoes in Iceland - they say there's generally some warning signs before they erupt, but not always. Like sailing o nthe open ocean, and many other thrilling things we can do in our lives, there's a balance of risk. I wouldn't go against advice of people I could trust to give sensible warnings, but as far as White Island is concerned, I don't think it's clear yet whether such warnings were given and ignored.

Yes, the smell of a solfatara is something you don't forget. Nor the heat of the surrounding sand.
It seems this type of eruption - or burp, as Connoissuers so eloquently put it - are almost impossible to predict.

I think the fact that is an active volcano is why people want to go there. The attraction of the power of natural event is strong. The same thing happens in Hawaii with Mount Kilauea. A boat got too close in 2018.

Kenny Lynch: 'one of the few black British pop singers to find fame in the early 1960s.'

French actress Claudine Auger has passed away at age 78.
Although she worked with the likes of Cocteau, she is best remember for playing Domino opposite Sean Connery in "Thunderball".
auger1.jpgauger2.jpgauger3.jpgauger4.jpg

December 26, 2019 Don Imus died at age 79. He was a comedian, an original 'shock jock' on the radio, and the 'founder' of the Church of the Gooey Death and Discount House of Worship.

He was also a very charitable man who set up a ranch for children with cancer to visit. There was no charge for coming...

Alasdair Gray
quite simply, one of Scotland's National Treasures

I’ve been searching for a clip of it, and failing.

The first time I became aware of Mr. Henry was back in the early 70’s. I’d tuned into the Tonight Show just as Johnny Carson asked his guest "Do you have any hobbies?"

His expressionless, deadpan reply was "I design whips." :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom