Passings...

Go to CruxDreams.com
View attachment 832413 the right position...

... looking at the previous photograph you can see the error.
You mean the black square should be on the corner on each player's left,
"white on the right" - I think that is the correct way to set the board?
Looking at the positions, Death is a bishop down and in danger of losing his other one -
however, it shouldn't be possible for the Knight to have both his bishops on white squares.

Last edited:
You mean the black square should be on the corner on each player's left,
"white on the right" - I think that is the correct way to set the board?
Looking at the positions, Death is a bishop down and in danger of losing his other one -
however, it shouldn't be possible for the Knight to have both his bishops on white squares.
Yes the black square is in the left, in the movie you can view the black in the right, that is the error.

I don't know if the move is for the white or for the black, it's the crucial move.
but it's true two knight in the white square are impossible. A2 is wrong.

Last edited:
Max Von Sydow was one of the last of a generation of truly great actors capable of turning their hand to any role. One of my favourites (Though nowhere near his best) was his wonderfully understated performance as Ming The Merciless in the flawed but fun movie version of Flash Gordon (1980) in which he was clearly relishing the classic villainous role, as many character actors seem to do. I guess playing an evil character gives an actor a much broader range than being the good guy who is always constrained by the need to always be seen to be doing the right thing.
View attachment 832455

RIP Max. You were truly one of the greatest...
Very true!

It must be Death's move, his king is in check
The chess game in The seventh Seal is played according to today's rules. During the Middle Ages, the rules for moving pieces were different from nowadays.

The chess game in The seventh Seal is played according to today's rules. During the Middle Ages, the rules for moving pieces were different from nowadays.
Yes, I was assuming modern rules, though I think even in medieval times, if a player lost his king, he lost the game, and if it's white to move, his rook moves G1 - G8, takes Death's king, end of game.

Death could move q to F7 but that would be suicide; he can move k to F7, but White moves b to B3 and takes Death's remaining b, check again; and if he moves k to H8, White can do the same move to B3 and I can't see how Death can escape mate in the next move.

Yes, I was assuming modern rules, though I think even in medieval times, if a player lost his king, he lost the game, and if it's white to move, his rook moves G1 - G8, takes Death's king, end of game.

Death could move q to F7 but that would be suicide; he can move k to F7, but White moves b to B3 and takes Death's remaining b, check again; and if he moves k to H8, White can do the same and I can't see how Death can escape mate in the next move.
Bishops and queen were much more restricted in motion then, there were no such things as en-passant and castling, and the orientation of the chessboard was no part of the rules. So, some of the positions of the bishops as depicted in the movie, were impossible according to the rules of the time.

Bishops and queen were much more restricted in motion then, there were no such things as en-passant and castling, and the orientation of the chessboard was no part of the rules. So, some of the positions of the bishops as depicted in the movie, were impossible according to the rules of the time.
A player having both bishops on white squares is impossible according the rules of our time :)

Ascanio have proposed a chess set for four players, time ago, with pieces designed as the Bauhaus chess.

This is the 4 armies chess set received by Ascanio.
The .zip file contains the objects and the chessboard in .obj format, so you can use them with any 3D software.
It is necessary to import every single piece, place it on the chessboard and apply the desired color, it is a bit laborious, but for those who have a habit of using 3D software there is no difficulty.

The rules of the game are similar to those of the game for two players, but the pawn can move forward, backward and sideways by 1 square, catching the opponent with the diagonal movement.

This rule basically modifies the classic game.

The king is not checked and the king can be captured, therefore the player is excluded from the game and the lost pieces still on the board become the property of the player who captured the king. With this rule, a player could also have three armies.

When there are only two players, the check is declared to the opposing king, the game ends with the checkmate.

Two further rules suggested by Ascanio:

Alliances can be made, but not declared.
The alliance can be betrayed.

Attachments

• Scacchi.zip
    23.4 KB · Views: 6
Asterix illustrator Albert Uderzo has died at the age of 92

g09b.gif

There were also big reports about Uderzo and his Asterix in German media, even in the most-seen German TV news "Tagesschau":

All we German schoolkids loved the Asterix comics (although some of us recognized ourselves as "the Goths" in one of the comics,
but this only one for us was "fiction", every Asterix comic else was regarded by us as "science of history & historiography"! :wink: )

Back
Top Bottom