Passings...

Go to CruxDreams.com
The Bulgaria born American artist Christo (1935-2020), most famous for wrapping entire buildings, such as the Pont-Neuf in Paris (1985) and the Berlin Reichstag building (1995).

This evening, 23:35 o'clock, there is a documentation honouring "Christo" on one of my most loved TV stations, ARTE, in French and German about Christo's "The Floating Piers", ...

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.06.06_19h27m05s_001_.jpg Ashampoo_Snap_2020.06.06_19h27m37s_002_.jpg Ashampoo_Snap_2020.06.06_19h50m38s_005_.jpg Ashampoo_Snap_2020.06.06_19h47m18s_003_.jpg Ashampoo_Snap_2020.06.06_19h47m58s_004_.jpg

... one of the nicest ideas, an artist ever had, because it obviously made so many spectators happy in 2016, who were able to cross this Italian lake Iséo "by walking on water" up to the small island in the center of the lake.
This documentation, which mostly shows the many difficulties of Christo and his team with bureaucracy and political circumstances for realizing such a project but also beautiful pictures, can also be found here in German and French. I do not know if ARTE offers it also in English, but maybe, you find it somewhere else under another internet address.
Here it is in German:

News just in.....
View attachment 869645
Dame Vera Lynn,the famous wartime singer,has passed away. Aged 103.
Synonymous with inspirational hits,such as "We'll meet again..."
RIP Dame Vera Lynn. :(
Her wartime performances were inspirational.
I only heard her on the radio,but have since realised that she had a very good vocal technique which she had obviously acquired in the days when microphones were only used for radio broadcasts, and not to amplify the singer`s voice.

Her wartime performances were inspirational.
I only heard her on the radio,but have since realised that she had a very good vocal technique which she had obviously acquired in the days when microphones were only used for radio broadcasts, and not to amplify the singer`s voice.
I also know her songs only from records. But Vera Lynn had indeed a special voice, that made her performance outstanding.

Jean Kennedy (1928 - 2020), last surviving of the nine children of Joseph Kennedy, among which president John F. Kennedy.

As ambassador of the United States in Ireland (1993 - 1998), she has played an important role in the negociations for the Good Friday agreement of 1998, that ended the troubles in Northern Ireland.

And Alien.

We can never forget him in Alien

As someone on Facebook said of Ian Holm's death after posting that pic "this is not a picture of his actual last moments"

By the way, about 20 years ago, I talked with German students about this movie by Joel Schumacher and really every German liked especially this scene. Possibly, it is because of this polite and friendly talking in spite of the "insurmountable contradictions" ... or the beautiful smile of this friendly "Sheila" ... or our own problems with fast food restaurants ... or this "lovely" latent violence so many Germans "like" since fighting against the ancient Romans ... we were really not sure, but all we Germans loved this scene:

Last edited:
By the way, about 20 years ago, I talked with German students about this movie by Joel Schumacher and really every German liked especially this scene. Possibly, it is because of this polite and friendly talking in spite of the "insurmountable contradictions" ... or the beautiful smile of this friendly "Sheila" ... or our own problems with fast food restaurants ... or this "lovely" latent violence so many Germans "like" since fighting against the ancient Romans ... we were really not sure, but all we Germans loved this scene:

"Am I the bad guy!?"
'Falling Down', the movie is already near 30 years old, but still, in my all time top-30. A brilliant satire against neo-liberalism.

Several generations of Americans will miss Carl Reiner, who has checked out two years shy of a century.

Several generations of Americans will miss Carl Reiner, who has checked out two years shy of a century.

One of the good guys. Two years ago:

“I’m 96-and-a-half years old. I lived through the Great Depression; I served in World War Two in our fight to defeat fascism; I’ve seen the invention of television and performed on television, even before my family owned one. But what I’ve never seen is the American people being lied to every day …”​

Tomorrow, July 4th is the Day the United States celebrates its Independence from the British Crown. It commemorates the day the Declaration of Independence was adopted by the Continental Congress. (The actual legal date of independence in American law is July 2nd, when the shorter, original resolution by Richard Henry Lee of Virginia was approved by the Congress).
Resolved, That these United Colonies are, and of right to be, free and independent States, that they are absolved from all allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain is, and ought to be, totally dissolved. That it is expedient forthwith to take the most effectual measures for forming foreign Alliances. That a plan of confederation be prepared and transmitted to the respective Colonies for their consideration and approbation.

On July 4th, three of the signers of the declaration, who later became Preident of the United States of America, died.

Can you name them without looking them up?

Back
Top Bottom