Passings...

Go to CruxDreams.com
That print's being offered on e-bay as Valerie Hobson & Conrad Veitd in Contraband, for $18.96.
It looks like a staged still, not a cut from the film itself - I guess that's the way they did shots for magazines etc. in those days?

But he seemed less strangely named than Princess Michael of Kent - who I think is still around?
But he seemed less strangely named than Princess Michael of Kent - who I think is still around?
It sounds curious, but I believe male names for UK Princesses simply result from their acquisition of the spouse's title on marriage. E.g. after her wedding in 1913, Princess Alexandra was referred to as HRH Princess Arthur of Connaught, in accordance with the tradition that a wife normally shares the title and style of her husband.

Both Prince and Princess Michael are alive and well, as far as I am aware.

Hearing mention of him when I was young(er!), 'Michael' didn't seem the right sort of name for a king -
dunno why, he's a pretty potent archangel, but have there been any other Kings Michael - in Romania or anywhere else?
There were enough Michaels in Eastern Orthodox monarchies (the Byzantine Empire, Russia, Bulgaria), I think Western Europe can offer a couple of Portuguese Miguels only.

Oh yes, I forgot about Byzantium :doh: Michael the Drunkard for one :D
I did have a hunch there'd been a Miguel or two in Portugal.
But on the whole the name's been much more favoured among eastern European royalty.

Oh yes, I forgot about Byzantium :doh: Michael the Drunkard for one :D
I did have a hunch there'd been a Miguel or two in Portugal.
But on the whole the name's been much more favoured among eastern European royalty.
Also three rulers of Bulgaria and three of Russia including the first of the Romanov dynasty.

Robert and David are pretty popular Christian names, but as far as monarchs go, they seem to have been exclusively Scottish.

Also three rulers of Bulgaria and three of Russia including the first of the Romanov dynasty.
Three of Russia? The first of the Romanovs, and -- very arguably -- the last, but who's the third?

Robert and David are pretty popular Christian names, but as far as monarchs go, they seem to have been exclusively Scottish.
There were a couple of Roberts in early mediaeval France, and David, oddly enough, used to be popular among the Georgian Bagratids who claimed biblical descent.

Naples had a King Robert, and there were several Ruperts (Ruprecht etc.) in the Holy Roman Empire and German mini-kingdoms.
Robert the Bruce and his grandson Robert II came from a line of Roberts going back to their Norman origin in Bruis near Cherbourg,
Robert being of course a popular name among the (Viking-descended) Normans. Not sure why Malcolm Canmore and St. Margaret christened their youngest son David, their four eldest had Anglo-Saxon names - Edward, Edmund, Ethelred, Edgar - reflecting Margaret's royal ancestry - but the last two were Alexander and David, both names re-used in later generations - Alex II and III, Dave II.
One point, I believe that UK monarchs when they ascend to the throne don't necessarily use the forename they've been known by previously, i.e. Charles, if and when he succeeds, may not be Charles III. Not sure what he will be.

Past Passings
On December 15th 1944 Major Glenn Miller Boarded A UC-64A Norseman Plane In Bedfordshire,England To Perform A Concert In Paris For American Servicemen In
France. The Plane Took Off In Thick Fog Early Afternoon And Was Never Seen Or Found Again, One Of Wartimes Great Mystery`s

Past Passings
On December 15th 1944 Major Glenn Miller Boarded A UC-64A Norseman Plane In Bedfordshire,England To Perform A Concert In Paris For American Servicemen In
France. The Plane Took Off In Thick Fog Early Afternoon And Was Never Seen Or Found Again, One Of Wartimes Great Mystery`s

My favorite from the Big Band era, I have a boxed set of CDs of his music.

I never liked too much the films of "la nouvelle vague" : it's not a cinema well done in my opinion ! I certainly prefer the Italian cinema, "neorealist movment" ( Visconti, Rosselini and other ...)
I shame tot have seen them, they are completely worthless. I think on Cleo de cinq a sept, whole nonsence deliberation in an autocar. And then a doctor who declares that a woman to have enjoyed intercourse with two men only from one can get a child. Amazingly we watched that...

Jean-Paul Sartre was for me a very interesting figure, though I did not read his books. Only articles and other publications.
It is in the 90ties that I read some chapters in the text of L'Être et le Néant and I was enthusiastic.
Nowadays I possess Heideggers book Sein und Zeit but a full-time study I performed not yet.
Comes time, comes spirit..., it is never too late.

Attachments

• Heidegger - Sein und Zeit Uitg. 2006.jpg
    Heidegger - Sein und Zeit Uitg. 2006.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 4
Jean-Paul Sartre was for me a very interesting figure, though I did not read his books.

I read Sartre's L'Etranger in French several years ago. I did a research paper on existentialism in college about 45 years ago, the first time I encountered him but only read English translations then.

I read Sartre's L'Etranger in French several years ago. I did a research paper on existentialism in college about 45 years ago, the first time I encountered him but only read English translations then.
Hum, can I tell you that "L'Etranger" is rather by Camus than Sartre ...;)

Attachments

• Camus23.jpg
    Camus23.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 5
Past Passings

I think we can work out why you like Glenn Miller Dotty ...... "In the Mood" and "String of Pearls" to name just two ......

I've read somewhere he favours George after his grandfather; George VII.
And George VI was formerly known as Albert, I think.

No problem, jedakk and like you say, Camus was also in the way of existentialism at this time even if later he denied it ...;)
wrote better novels than Sartre - well, La Peste is the only other one I've read -
but I identify with the 'outsider'

Back
Top Bottom