Passings...

Go to CruxDreams.com
Charles Aznavour : une immense machine à tubes
1bf60fb9bb940c87f8b15ca3e982968d-charles-aznavour-une-machine-tubes.jpg

La carrière discographique de Charles Aznavour a connu son âge d'or dans les années 1960 et 1970. | MATHIEU BELANGER/REUTERS
Par Ouest-France
Publié le 01/10/2018 à 15h04
Lire le journal numérique
Débutée en 1948 la carrière discographique de Charles Aznavour, mort dans la nuit de dimanche à lundi à l'âge de 94 ans, a connu son âge d'or dans les années 1960 et 1970.

=====================

Charles Aznavour's record career had its golden age in the years 1960 and 1970. | MATHIEU BELANGER/REUTERS
by West-France

Posted on 01/10/2018 at 15h04

Read the digital journal

Debuted in 1948 the record career of Charles Aznavour, who died in the night from Sunday to Monday at the age of 94 years, experienced his golden age in the years 1960 and 1970.

=====================

Charles Aznavour is dead during the last night ...
Perhaps that you didn't know him , but he was, in my opinion and even if I wasn't living during the best of his career , one of the most brilliant of the actual singers ...
His "carved " songs , putting the best of the french language at the top, are speaking to me, of course , and certainly to many people through the world ...
He made around 1,000 songs ...
You'll miss us, Charles ... :(

More ?

West France with AFP.

Posted on 01/10/2018 at 15h19

Read the digital newspaper the singer Charles Aznavour died in the night from Sunday to Monday 1st October, at the age of 94 years. The "French Sinatra" leaves behind an impressive international career.

His titles have made the whole globe vibrate for decades, marking several generations: "La bohème", "I already saw myself", "La Mamma", "as they say"... From the height of his sixty-five metre, Charles Aznavour, who died in the night from Sunday to Monday at 94 years old, was the last "great" of the French song, of which he was the ambassador throughout the world.

"I made an unexpected but exemplary career," the French Sinatra had entrusted. "It's all about luck." of luck but also of talent and will, since he had to fight in his beginnings to impose his size, his physique and his voice atypical, before arriving at the top of the poster.
bb09ffcaf4afa720b78079c2ada1a3a4-charles-aznavour-xxxxxxxxxxxx_0.jpg
Charles Aznavour (right) and Mick Micheyl in 1957. | Afp
"Critical side, I was served: it was said that I was ugly, small, that one should not let the cripples sing," recounted the one that the Anglo-Saxon critic had nicknamed in his debut "Aznovoice" (pun meant: he has no voice).

Charles Aznavour (real name Aznavourian) was born in Paris to a couple of immigrants from Armenia who were waiting for a visa for the United States. He will keep strong ties with the country of his ancestors. In his early days, he wanted to become an actor and made figuration in theatre and cinema.

Debut under the sponsorship of Edith Piaf
Aznavour embarked on the duet song with Pierre Roche in the early years of 1940. In 1946, he met Charles Trent and Edith Piaf. She calls him "genius con" and forces him to do his nose again. He writes for others ("bluer than the blue of your Eyes" for PIAF, "I Hate Sundays", refused by PIAF but adopted by Juliette Greco) but has no success as an interpreter and sees muffled of the unflattering moniker of "Husky towards gold".
37f9c5d6f4a08e0f3cd73ede27c78064-charles-aznavour-xxxxxxxxxxxx_1.jpg
Edith Piaf, surrounded by Eddie Constantine (left) and Charles Aznavour, in 1950. | Afp
The Donne changes in the middle of the years 50 with the success of "On My Life" (1954) and passages to the famous Parisian concert hall the Olympia. At the cinema, he toured with François Truffaut to "shoot the Pianist" in 1960, the year of the release of "I was already seeing myself", one of his most famous songs.

In 1963, Aznavour triumphed at Carnegie Hall in New York City and became an international star and embarked on a world tour. He then went to Armenia for the first time.

Two years later, he mounted the operetta "Monsieur Carnaval", from where "La Bohème" was drawn. In 1968, he married a Swede, Ulla Thorsell, in the third marriage.
0699d2094994c63e17d3f29a0c8b70ef-charles-aznavour-xxxxxxxxxxxx_2.jpg
Charles Aznavour and Swedish supermodel Ulla Thorssel at their wedding in Las Vegas on January 5, 1967. | Afp
His songs on the International
In the years 1970, Aznavour rubbed shoulders with societal themes in his songs: "Dying To Love", taken from the film of the same name and inspired by the suicide of a teacher in 1969 after an affair with a pupil, or "as they say", which evokes homosexuality.

The greatest artists take up his songs: Ray Charles sings "La Mamma" (written by Aznavour with Robert Gall, the father of France Gall), Fred Astaire "old-fashioned Pleasures" and Bing Crosby "Yesterday Again". He also pursued his career in cinema, including "The Drum," by Volker Schlöndorff (1979) or "The Ghosts of the Hatter" by Claude Chabrol (1982).

In 1988, he helped Armenia, which had been wounded by an earthquake, founded the "Aznavour for Armenia" committee and wrote the text of the humanitarian song "For You Armenia".

Continue the scene to the end
In 1991, he shared the stage in Paris with his friend Liza Minnelli, and in 1995 bought the musical editions Raoul Breton (PIAF, Trent, and later Linda Lemay).

When others think about retirement, he continues to chain records, souvenir books and concerts around the world. "I never, ever uttered the word farewell!", he was in 2011, before starting a series of 22 concerts at the Olympia for his 87 years.

fb70b73d8943a8cbec450a9e7ae97eb3-charles-aznavour-xxxxxxxxxxxx_3.jpg
Charles Aznavour in Carthage, Tunisia, in 2009. | STR/EPA/MAXPPP
On stage, he impresseded by his vitality intact and made only a few concessions at the age: a teleprompter to compensate for the holes of memory, an armchair for the strokes of fatigue, on which he rested more often in September for the latter Representations in Japan after having fractured an arm this summer.

In one of the songs, "I Will abdicate," Aznavour evoked death by ironically amusing himself with his status as a monument to the song: "If I still have a beautiful spectacle to do/a beautiful burial would flatter my ego."

ADIEU L'ARTISTE

Messa ...

Marty Balin, co-founder of Jefferson Airplane has died at the age of 76.
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...irplane-guitarist-marty-balin-dead-76-730912/
Michelangelo claimed that he did not create a sculpture. Rather, the form was contained within the block of marble; he merely removed the excess, revealing the work of art. Marty said. “I feel the same way about music, and about all the projects I’m involved in. The projects do themselves; the music comes through me.”

I know it sounds stupid to say, but the Airplanes's Surrealistic Pillow changed my life.

"Comin' Back to Me" - Jefferson Airplane

The summer had inhaled and held its breath too long
The winter looked the same, as if it never had gone
And through an open window where no curtain hung
I saw you
I saw you
Comin' back to me

One begins to read between the pages of a book
The shape of sleepy music, and suddenly you're hooked
Through the rain upon the trees, the kisses on the run
I saw you
I saw you
Comin' back to me

You came to stay and live my way
Scatter my love like leaves in the wind
You always say you won't go away
But I know what it always has been

It always has been
A transparent dream beneath an occasional sigh
Most of the time I just let it go by
Now I wish it hadn't begun
I saw you, yes, I saw you
Comin' back to me

Strolling the hills
Overlooking the shore
I realize I've been here before
The shadow in the mist
Could have been anyone
I saw you, I saw you
Comin' back to me

Small things like reasons
Are put in a jar
Whatever happened to wishes
Wished on a star?
Was it just something
That I made up for fun?
I saw you, I saw you
Comin' back to me

Marty Balin recalled that “the song was created while he indulged in some primo-grade marijuana given to him by blues singer Paul Butterfield.”

Toke some primo-grade up there for us, Marty!

I just read the obituary in the New York Times of Paul Allen, co-founder of Microsoft. Obituaries (usually) are flattering, but it's interesting that in addition to all his other philanthropic activities he owned three sports teams, and bought them primarily to keep them in the Pacific Northwest. He certainly wasn't a typical loud-mouthed team owner. He also promoted his own home town, investing in its future and making Seattle the place it is today. The hard-charging Bill Gates is also a noted philanthropist and science donor, but Allen was quieter and in my view less obnoxious. Too bad that in our day of hubristic billionaires (not all of them self-made like Allen and Gates) there aren't more like him. Rest in peace, sir. In part thanks to you, "they" will beat cancer eventually. You'll have the last laugh.

I just read the obituary in the New York Times of Paul Allen, co-founder of Microsoft. Obituaries (usually) are flattering, but it's interesting that in addition to all his other philanthropic activities he owned three sports teams, and bought them primarily to keep them in the Pacific Northwest. He certainly wasn't a typical loud-mouthed team owner. He also promoted his own home town, investing in its future and making Seattle the place it is today. The hard-charging Bill Gates is also a noted philanthropist and science donor, but Allen was quieter and in my view less obnoxious. Too bad that in our day of hubristic billionaires (not all of them self-made like Allen and Gates) there aren't more like him. Rest in peace, sir. In part thanks to you, "they" will beat cancer eventually. You'll have the last laugh.
I am at loss for the loss of a fellow billionaire... just kidding... I do hate when people die far too young...

Dennis Hof (October 14, 1946 – October 16, 2018) was an American brothel owner, entrepreneur, restaurateur and star of the HBO series Cathouse. He was best known as the owner of seven legal brothels in Nevada. In the state of Nevada, prostitution's legality is determined on a county-by-county basis.[2] Several of his brothels are in Moundhouse, Nevada, a few minutes outside Carson City. His best-known brothel is the Moonlite BunnyRanch. Hof's autobiography, The Art Of The Pimp, was a best-seller, and he lectured at Oxford University in England, Trinity College Dublin and the Sorbonne in France.

I post this because I passed those houses in Moundhouse many times (I swear, I never went in!;)) and because he is a small inspiration for my Palais Royal Story:rolleyes: (new installment in a few minutes.)

I searched, but I couldn't determine if he ever lectured at the University of Edinburgh. (Elalia?)

I post this because I passed those houses in Moundhouse many times (I swear, I never went in!;)) and because he is a small inspiration for my Palais Royal Story:rolleyes: (new installment in a few minutes.)

Why didn’t you go in? Just curious. :rolleyes:

Why didn’t you go in? Just curious. :rolleyes:
Curiousity, but asking to reveal a very personal fact.

But, I trust most here (and fuck the rest): From childhood, I have had a almost pathological fear of prostitutes. I thought if I just shook hands with one I would get a disease and my pecker would dry up and fall off! Not exactly my belief now, but the fear lingers.

And I was a respectable banker trying to suppress my "evil" urges.

I couldn't determine if he ever lectured at the University of Edinburgh.
For all I know, he may have been elected Rector :p
(Rectors of the ancient Scottish universities are elected by the students,
and there have been some pretty controversial choices!
But it's a purely honorary role)

Dennis Hof (October 14, 1946 – October 16, 2018) was an American brothel owner, entrepreneur, restaurateur and star of the HBO series Cathouse.
For all I know, he may have been elected Rector :p
No, he wasn't elected Rector. While politics is rightly banned here, I must report the under-reported news: Dennis Hof, three weeks after his death was elected to the Nevada State Assembly 36th District by 17,000 votes to 10,000 for the live Democrat. GO Silver State!

No, he wasn't elected Rector. While politics is rightly banned here, I must report the under-reported news: Dennis Hof, three weeks after his death was elected to the Nevada State Assembly 36th District by 17,000 votes to 10,000 for the live Democrat. GO Silver State!
I did spot that on the BBC election night coverage, though it's vanished now - wasn't he a brothel owner?
End discrimination, death should be no disqualification from law-making (has it ever been? :p)

Back
Top Bottom