Plantation Plight By Barbaria And Windar

Go to CruxDreams.com
Just curious as to how other authors work through these issues.

I've written both first and third person stories. If I can get into the 'head' of the main person, and feel that his/her thoughts are the most important, and no real plot twists, I go first.
If I feel that some events have to happen that the main character was not present for, an intertwined plot, then third.

But why, if I may ask?
Doesn't seems quite fair somehow.

Or is that exactly the point ;-)
Well, Messaline and Eulalia also pop up almost as often as Barb, and Messa may still have been crucified more often, but one thing's for sure....

Without the girls this site would be a VERY boring place!

View attachment 461096

:bdsm-heart::bdsm-heart::bdsm-heart::bdsm-heart::bdsm-heart::bdsm-heart::bdsm-heart::bdsm-heart::bdsm-heart:
I have, on occasion, purposely started out trying to write a story that did not include Barb (sorry, Barb), because she is so clearly in so many stories. I thought, why not make a story about someone else - give another girl a chance, so to speak. What I find is that Barb's overall enthusiasm and sheer versatility at getting herself into all manner of tricky situations makes her almost a natural for any number of characters (although making her an ice witch was perhaps a bit of a stretch - still, it worked in the end).

Barb also has a lot of ideas that never seem to stop, so she writes "autobiographical" accounts of the adventures in her head, and we are all the better for it. I tend to write now only when I finally have a good idea - there are lots of people writing about the poor, innocent slave girl, who is crucified for no real reason than that she was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I've been there and done that, and there are other people who write that "genre" better than I do. Now I write when I think I have something really good to add to the shelves here. I still think Wragg is better at this than I am.

Some people write jointly with others. I have discussed this with a couple of people, but I've not yet found the story or the work arrangement that makes that really attractive. So some of us write solo. It really depends on what's in your head and what has to come out on the screen, and whether you want anyone else helping you, working with you, or fooling about with your plot or your characters.

With a short footnote to say I have not retired from writing. I'll try to get another story out soon.:)

I have, on occasion, purposely started out trying to write a story that did not include Barb (sorry, Barb),
Since she is not up yet, may I? :spank::spank::spank:

I tend to write now only when I finally have a good idea - there are lots of people writing about the poor, innocent slave girl, who is crucified for no real reason than that she was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I've been there and done that, and there are other people who write that "genre" better than I do.

That is exactly how I feel. Also, I'm a modern sort of guy and tend to prefer contemporary and even futuristic settings. I have trouble imagining myself in Roman or Medieval times, so those stories have less resonance with me than modern ones, but that's probably just my problem. Modern stories tend to be disturbing to some readers-I don't think anyone really believes that Roman crucifixion is poised for a comeback, but state oppression and slavery exist today. Yeah, there's always Nazis, but they have also been well covered.

As for writing jointly vs solo it's easier to write solo with a single vision of how the story should go. There are few fiction books on the best seller lists with multiple authors (though many non-fiction). But I enjoy the back and forth, so I see myself doing both.

As for first vs third person, I don't see a reason to necessarily prefer one over the other. There was even a very well-known book back in the 1980s that was written in second person, "Bright Lights, Big City", by Jay McInerney

Of course. Neither is superior to the other. But it's interesting to me to learn how other good writers make their choices. I attempted a story in first person once, and wasn't very satisfied with it -- perhaps because I was my own worst character!

I wrote one story where I was definitely the bad guy and I told my part in the first person. http://www.cruxforums.com/xf/resources/the-pirettes-of-ocracoke-by-windar.512/ It was pretty well received here, I think.

I wrote one story where I was definitely the bad guy and I told my part in the first person. http://www.cruxforums.com/xf/resources/the-pirettes-of-ocracoke-by-windar.512/ It was pretty well received here, I think.

I've only just glanced at "The Pirettes" but was immediately struck by this sentence

"the Clitoris lay just at the entrance to Charleston Harbor,"

Now, I've been around for a while and I've heard a lot of euphemisms for a woman's private parts, but 'Charleston Harbor' is a new one to me.

On the other hand the delicacies of Charleston's cuisine are known, um, far and wide.

Last edited:
Ocracoke? I think I would have had to don a black beard to write that one.

I'll check it out.

By the way, I always suspected you had a villainous side.

I confess that I'm a bit disappointed. When you said that you had written that story in the first person, I assumed that you had written it from the point of view of a male pirate, and that I would be treated to an extended account displaying the darkest side of your surly nature! :)

I confess that I'm a bit disappointed. When you said that you had written that story in the first person, I assumed that you had written it from the point of view of a male pirate, and that I would be treated to an extended account displaying the darkest side of your surly nature! :)

I'm not a pirate in the story; I'm much, much worse. I'm a corrupt Governor who profits by taking a cut of their booty (something that a Colonial Governor of North Carolina actually did). And the pirettes have honor and give me my agreed-upon cut, but I want more.

It's probably a good idea to read the whole story :D:p

I am reminded of a story about Rossini's opera "William Tell" ** The four-act marathon was his longest work, written after he had moved from Italy to in Paris. The opera fans in Paris, it seems, had rather short attention spans in the bel canto era, and to make a long story short, the impresarios of that city had taken to playing only an act or two of "Guillaume Tell" during an evening rather than the entire opera, a practice which irritated Rossini immensely.

The story goes that one day an admirer told the great man that he had heard his opera on the preceding evening.

"What? The whole of it?" Rossini replied sarcaastically.

~~~~~~~~~~

Windar -- I promise that I'll add the whole of "Les Pirettes" to the already lengthy reading list you've assigned.

** Yes, there is an entire opera that begins with the "Lone Ranger" Overture. "Guillaume Tell" incidentally, was based on a play by Friedrich Schiller the same playwright/poet who wrote the "Ode to Joy" sung in Beethoven's Ninth thas which mentioned in another thread this morning.

Kleine Welt.

Yes, I finished the PDF version it a couple of weeks ago. A good story. At the time I was really struggling with navigation here, so I probably didn't go back and insert comments at the appropriate point in the threaded version.

It's just in the last day or so that I figured out how to highlight and copy a single photo from Top-Cat 's sets of ten.

And Scots are surprised to find 'A Scottish Soldier' in it ;)
(skip to 1:45)

Thank you very much for sharing the Andy Stewart clip. After reading his Wikipedia article, I'm embarrassed to say that I've never heard of him, or "The Scottish Soldier," which was apparently extremely popular in several of the Commonwealth countries back in 1961. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't think he ever got any purchase here in the States.

Once again, I'm delighted to have learned something of unusual interest here at CF.

Yes, I finished the PDF version it a couple of weeks ago. A good story. At the time I was really struggling with navigation here, so I probably didn't go back and insert comments at the appropriate point in the threaded version.

It's just in the last day or so that I figured out how to highlight and copy a single photo from Top-Cat 's sets of ten.
Fuckin' newbie...

Just kidding... For the longest time I didn't understand why sites like this had all their pictures the size of postage stamps until I figured out I had to sign up if I wanted to open the pictures and now I am a moderator (?!?!?!).

There is a technical questions section toward the to of the tread selection. Believe me after me there is no question too dumb!!!

Thank you very much for sharing the Andy Stewart clip. After reading his Wikipedia article, I'm embarrassed to say that I've never heard of him, or "The Scottish Soldier," which was apparently extremely popular in several of the Commonwealth countries back in 1961. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't think he ever got any purchase here in the States.

Once again, I'm delighted to have learned something of unusual interest here at CF.
Aye, I'm not surprised to read that. It's become an old, rather corny, Scottish standard,
I think most people assume it's a Scottish tune. It plays well on the pipes, the snappy 5/8 rhythm suits them.
maybe it was a traditional Swiss dance (and maybe they used to play it on bagpipes too).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom