Posting in existing threads or create new one?

Go to CruxDreams.com
Hi,
I've been a member for a while but I must admit that so far I've been primarily a lurker :naughty:
I have more free time now and I want to contribute but it's not very clear to me where to post and where not to post.

My question: are existing threads open for posts by anyone or are they kind of "proprietary" and only the owner/starter is allowed to add posts?

I ask this question because there are many threads on similar or even identical subjects which made me think that these threads are only open for posts by their creator.
In other words, do I have to create my own threads if I want to post?

I browsed through the technical questions forum but couldn't find an answer to my question.

Thanks for helping me out.

Best regards,
Bob

Hi,
I've been a member for a while but I must admit that so far I've been primarily a lurker :naughty:
I have more free time now and I want to contribute but it's not very clear to me where to post and where not to post.

My question: are existing threads open for posts by anyone or are they kind of "proprietary" and only the owner/starter is allowed to add posts?

I ask this question because there are many threads on similar or even identical subjects which made me think that these threads are only open for posts by their creator.

I browsed through the technical questions forum but couldn't find an answer to my question.

Best regards,
Bob
I’m not an expert but I’d say jump in! There’s no thread you’re not allowed to post in.

The reason there’s multiple threads on the same topic is because people often start a new one and don’t know there’s already one out there; sometimes the mods merge two threads into one for that reason.

There’s an unspoken etiquette (I think) that if You didn’t start the thread, you don’t de-rail the topic too much.. this applies especially for story or art threads where a member is sharing their own creative work. It’s fine to post responses to the story/art of course, but that doesn’t mean spamming the thread with pictures you found, or unconnected text. Those should go elsewhere; there are plenty of choices as you know.

That’s my understanding anyway.

I’m not an expert but I’d say jump in! There’s no thread you’re not allowed to post in.

The reason there’s multiple threads on the same topic is because people often start a new one and don’t know there’s already one out there; sometimes the mods merge two threads into one for that reason.

There’s an unspoken etiquette (I think) that if You didn’t start the thread, you don’t de-rail the topic too much.. this applies especially for story or art threads where a member is sharing their own creative work. It’s fine to post responses to the story/art of course, but that doesn’t mean spamming the thread with pictures you found, or unconnected text. Those should go elsewhere; there are plenty of choices as you know.

That’s my understanding anyway.
We should all try to balance support for new threads and ideas and duplicating existing ones. You will have noticed that there are a f*****g lot of threads and navigating and following is difficult. That said, if you have an idea not currently covered, please start a new thread.

The courtesy concerning the originator of a thread is subtle. In some cases the person might not even be active anymore (some threads are many years old). Even then, it would be polite to ty to make your posts fall within the original idea the poster had, or at least the current themes in the discussion. Advice about derailing or spamming a threat is good.
On very few occasion, the originator of a thread has told me not to post some topic or theme. When that happens, I, of course, obey (while sticking extra pins in my voodoo doll of said person, offline).

Last edited:
Hi,

Best regards,
Bob
Just wanted to add that it’s really great that you want to contribute, Bob; I think you’ll enjoy CF even more if you do. All the best!
Monty

The advice already stated above is good. Use common sense and try to post relevant material and commentary on existing threads. Good natured banter and commentary sometimes occurs. We do have fun here at times. And that’s generally allowed. But it is courteous on such occasions to not get so carried away as to derail or completely hijack a thread.

Occasionally we moderators (well, a certain very efficient one, not so often me)
will 'merge' a new thread into an older one if it's obviously on the same topic.

Lots of good advice above, but on this specific point, I would say it depends on the type of thread it is. Some threads are generally open to posting all kinds of things by any member - general image or discussion threads. There is no restriction at all on posting comments or images to those threads.

Some threads are specifically created to showcase an individual member's writing or artwork. If a member has posted their own story or is using the thread specifically to post chapters of a longer story (a story thread) then it's probably not the place to put your own separate content - keep comments related to the story. Similarly if a thread is called something like "Jollyrei's Manips", it's probably not the place to put a whole gallery of your own stuff. If you have a gallery of your own stuff, or a story you have written, that's one instance where you would likely start your own thread.

If a thread is called "Crux images of Alice" (one of the more famous and well-loved crux models), try to keep posts on topic and if you're posting images, they should be about Alice, or related to her in some way.

Generally it's like joining a conversation in real life - if people are talking about the the possibility of claiming slavegirl maintenance expenses as a tax deduction, that is probably not the point to jump in with pictures of people in cosplay costumes. Join the conversations/threads that correspond to your interests.

And have fun! :) That's really what it's about. If you do post something that's not appropriate to a thread, one of us mods will likely move it to an appropriate area and tell you we've done that. We're not going to yell or get on your case for that (unless you like that sort of thing, of course, in which case we can try to accommodate you).

Hi,

Best regards,
Bob
In case of doubt, you can Always ask, either in the thread, or to the member who started it, by PM, or to a moderator if the founder of the thread has since long vanished from the forum.

Back
Top Bottom