Public Executions In The Arena

Go to CruxDreams.com
Well I looked up and I did see a few pics from Zerosen in the forums, This particular one was missing here. Found it floating around on a yahoo group quite a few years ago

Zerosen is one of my fav artists , it wouldn't be wrong to say there was some inspiration for Twisted Arena from their work.
Hope to replicate some some of his work in 3d as a homage

Cheers

068_zer047.jpg

Gabriel Roman arena 263-1.jpg

SLAVE ZEINAH CRUELLY EXECUTED AS A REBEL

“Zeinah was a young pretty slave of Syrian origin who had been bought by a wealthy merchant in Capua, the second largest city in the Roman empire. She fell in love with Fathi, a Syrian gladiator; they dreamed to get married and live as free citizens.

In 73 BC, a group of some 200 gladiators in the Capuan school owned by Lentulus Batiatus plotted an escape. When their plot was betrayed, a force of about 70 men seized kitchen implements, fought their way free from the school, and seized several wagons of gladiatorial weapons and armor. Fathi was among these rebels.

Once free, the escaped gladiators chose Spartacus as their leader. The band of escaped gladiators plundered the region surrounding Capua, recruited many other slaves into their ranks, and eventually retired to a more defensible position on Mount Vesuvius.

Zeinah knew that her beloved man was with Spartacus’ army, so she tried to escape from Capua to join him. She was captured just outside the city walls. After a short trial, she was condemned to die as a rebel.

The next day she was brought into the arena, tied to a cross, and publicly tortured for about an hour. Finally her throat was slashed.”

EUDOCIA OF HELIOPOLIS SCOURGED TO DEATH

“Eudocia (or Eudokia - Greek Ευδοkία) was a Samarian woman who lived in Heliopolis of Phoenicia (present day Baalbek, Lebanon). She was a very beautiful pagan and garnered her wealth by attracting wealthy lovers.

Eudocia learned about Christianity from a monk by the name of Germanos. According to the legend, Eudocia asked him if she, too, could be saved from Judgment. Germanos instructed her to remain alone in her chamber for one week, fasting and praying. Eudokia followed his instructions, and at the end of the week, she had a vision about the Archangel Michael that assured her of Christ's love for all people. Germanos later baptized her.

At age 30, Eudocia commissioned the building of a monastery near Heliopolis, and dispensed much of her wealth in various charitable projects. She rejected all of her suitors, and when one persistent suitor named Philostratos was struck down because of his persistence, Eudokia prayed for him until he recovered. Philostratos then converted to Christianity; Eudocia persuaded many pagans to convert to Christianity.

Roman officials were angered by her actions, so she wasarrested and condemned to death. She was scourged to death on 1 March 107 AD.”

Gabriel Roman arena 264-1-.jpg Eudocia mix 01.jpg

CYMODOCAEA GIVEN TO THE WILD BEASTS

Cymodocaea is not a real saint, but a figure from the novel "Les Martyres" by François-René Vicomte de Chateaubriand.

She is a pagan priestess and in love with Eudorus, a Gaul serving as an officer in the Roman army. While he is away on a mission, his enemy Hierocles abducts Cymodocaea, but Eudorus can obtain a ruling from Emperor Diocletianus which put her in his care. Hierocles denounces the Christians and makes Diocletianus start his famous prosecution. Eudorus declares himself openly a Christian. The Emperor hesitates to kill a successful officer and wavers, but Hierocles sets a Vesta temple on fire and blames the Christians, which seals their fate.
Cymodocaea becomes a Christian and joins Eudorus; they get married before their execution.

“…When the emperor appeared, the spectators arose and and gave him the accustomed acclamation. Eudorus inclined respectfully towards the Caesar. Cymodocaea advanced under the balcony to demand a pardon for Eudorus and to offer herself in sacrifice in his stead.
The crowd relieved Galerius from the embarassment of exhibiting himself cruel or compassionate; they had been long waiting the hours of combat; their thirst of blood had redoubled at sight of the victims. A cry was heard in every part of the amphitheatre: “The beasts! Let loose the beasts! The impious to the beasts!”. Eudorus would have addreessed the people in behalf of Cymodocaea: his voice was drowned by a thousand cries: “Let the signal be given! The beasts! The Christians to the beasts!”
The sound of a trumpet is heard: it announces the appearance of ferocious beasts. The chief of the Retiarii crosses the arena and prepares to open the den of a tiger, distinguished for his fierceness…”

Gabriel Roman arena 044-1-.jpg Cymodocea 001.jpg Cymodocea 002.jpg Cymodocea 003.jpg

TATIANA OF ROME TORTURED WITH TORCHES AND HOOKS

“The Holy Virgin Martyr Tatiana was born into an illustrious Roman family; her father was secretly a Christian and raised his daughter to be devoted to God and the Church. When she reached the age of maturity, Tatiana decided to remain a virgin, betrothing herself to Christ. Disdaining earthly riches, she sought instead the imperishable wealth of Heaven. She was made a deaconess in one of the Roman churches and served God in fasting and prayer, tending the sick and helping the needy.

When Rome was ruled by the sixteen-year-old Alexander Severus (222-235), all power was concentrated in the hands of the regent Ulpian, an evil enemy and persecutor of Christians. Christian blood flowed like water. Tatiana was also arrested, and they brought her into the temple of Apollo to force her to offer sacrifice to the idol. The saint began praying, and suddenly there was an earthquake. The idol was smashed into pieces, and part of the temple collapsed and fell down on the pagan priests and many pagans.

Then they stripped her and beat her, and slashed her body with razors. A wondrous fragrance then filled the air. Then she was stretched out on the ground and beaten for so long that the servants had to be replaced several times. The torturers became exhausted and said that an invisible power was beating them with iron rods.

A new morning began, and they took Saint Tatiana to the tribunal once more. The torturers beheld with astonishment that after such terrible torments she appeared completely healthy and even more radiant and beautiful than before. They began to urge her to offer sacrifice to the goddess Diana. The saint seemed agreeable, and they took her to the heathen temple. Saint Tatiana made the Sign of the Cross and began to pray.

The martyr was fiercely tortured in public. She was hung up and scraped with iron claws, burned with flaming torches and her breasts were cut off. On the following day, they took Saint Tatiana to the circus and loosed a hungry lion on her. The beast did not harm the saint, but meekly licked her feet.

As they were taking the lion back to its cage, it killed one of the torturers. They threw Tatiana into a fire, but the fire did not harm the martyr. The pagans, thinking that she was a sorceress, cut her hair to take away her magical powers, then they finally cut her head.”

Gabriel Roman arena 266-1-.jpg Tatiana 301.jpg Tatiana 302.jpg Tatiana 303.jpg Tatiana 304.jpg

TATIANA OF ROME TORTURED WITH TORCHES AND HOOKS

“The Holy Virgin Martyr Tatiana was born into an illustrious Roman family; her father was secretly a Christian and raised his daughter to be devoted to God and the Church. When she reached the age of maturity, Tatiana decided to remain a virgin, betrothing herself to Christ. Disdaining earthly riches, she sought instead the imperishable wealth of Heaven. She was made a deaconess in one of the Roman churches and served God in fasting and prayer, tending the sick and helping the needy.

When Rome was ruled by the sixteen-year-old Alexander Severus (222-235), all power was concentrated in the hands of the regent Ulpian, an evil enemy and persecutor of Christians. Christian blood flowed like water. Tatiana was also arrested, and they brought her into the temple of Apollo to force her to offer sacrifice to the idol. The saint began praying, and suddenly there was an earthquake. The idol was smashed into pieces, and part of the temple collapsed and fell down on the pagan priests and many pagans.

Then they stripped her and beat her, and slashed her body with razors. A wondrous fragrance then filled the air. Then she was stretched out on the ground and beaten for so long that the servants had to be replaced several times. The torturers became exhausted and said that an invisible power was beating them with iron rods.

A new morning began, and they took Saint Tatiana to the tribunal once more. The torturers beheld with astonishment that after such terrible torments she appeared completely healthy and even more radiant and beautiful than before. They began to urge her to offer sacrifice to the goddess Diana. The saint seemed agreeable, and they took her to the heathen temple. Saint Tatiana made the Sign of the Cross and began to pray.

The martyr was fiercely tortured in public. She was hung up and scraped with iron claws, burned with flaming torches and her breasts were cut off. On the following day, they took Saint Tatiana to the circus and loosed a hungry lion on her. The beast did not harm the saint, but meekly licked her feet.

As they were taking the lion back to its cage, it killed one of the torturers. They threw Tatiana into a fire, but the fire did not harm the martyr. The pagans, thinking that she was a sorceress, cut her hair to take away her magical powers, then they finally cut her head.”

View attachment 463293 View attachment 463294 View attachment 463295 View attachment 463296 View attachment 463297
Sounds as though they nearly bit off more than they could chew when they chose to bring Tatiana to Roman justice.

Gabriel Roman arena 267-1.jpg damnatio ad bestias 001.jpg damnatio ad bestias 002.jpg damnatio ad bestias 003.jpg damnatio ad bestias 004.jpg damnatio ad bestias 005.jpg damnatio ad bestias 006.jpg damnatio ad bestias 007.jpg damnatio ad bestias 008.jpg damnatio ad bestias 009.jpg

THREE FUGITIVE SLAVES CONDEMNED “AD BESTIAS”

"Davinia, Laelia and Rohesia were three young slavegirls whose lord, Lucius Aurelius Marci, was a wealthy merchant living in Herculaneum. Lucius was a cruel man, who enjoyed punishing his slaves for any reasons. One day, when Lucius was in Rome for business, the three young women decided to escape from the domus and try to reach Laelia's brothers in Neapolis. Unfortunately, they were arrested just outside Herculaneum walls. Lucius Aurelius was very angry, so he decided to have his slaves condemned to die in the local arena being killed by wild beasts. The three unfortunate women were bound to stakes and lions and tigers were loose to attack them. They died in atrocious pain."

SAINT AFRA OF AUGSBUG TORTURED WITH TORCHES AND THEN BURNED ALIVE

The persecution of Dioclesian was carried on with great cruelty by his colleague Maximian Herculeus in Africa, Italy, Rhetia, Vindelicia, Noricum, and Upper Pannonia, the government of which provinces fell to his share in the division of the empire. At Ausburg, in Rhetia, the apparitors apprehended a woman called Afra, known to have formerly been a common prostitute.
The judge, by name Gaius, who knew who she was, said: “Sacrifice to the gods; it is better to live than to die in torments.” Afra replied: “I was a great sinner before I knew God; but I will not add new crimes, nor do what you command me.” Gaius said: “Go to the capitol and sacrifice.” Afra answered: “My capitol is Jesus Christ, whom I have always before my eyes. I every day confess my sins; and, because I am unworthy to offer him any sacrifice, I desire to sacrifice myself for his name, that this body in which I have sinned may be purified and sacrificed to him by torments.” “I am informed,” said Gaius, “that you are a prostitute. Sacrifice, therefore, as you are a stranger to the God of the Christians, and cannot be accepted by him.” Afra replied: “Our Lord Jesus Christ hath said, that he came down from heaven to save sinners. The gospels testify that an abandoned woman washed his feet with her tears, and obtained pardon, and that he never rejected the publicans, but permitted them to eat with him.” The judge said: “Sacrifice, that your gallants may follow you, and enrich you.” Afra answered: “I will have no more of that execrable gain. I have thrown away, as so much filth, what I had by me of it. Even our poor brethren would not accept of it, till I had overcome their reluctance by my entreaties, that they might pray for my sins.” Gaius said: “Jesus Christ will have nothing to do with you. It is in vain for you to acknowledge him for your God: a common prostitute can never he called a Christian.” Afra replied: “It is true, I am unworthy to bear the name of a Christian; but Christ hath admitted me to be one.” Gaius said: “Sacrifice to the gods, and they will save you.” The martyr replied: “My Saviour is Jesus Christ, who upon the cross promised paradise to the thief who confessed him.” The judge said: “Sacrifice, lest I order you to be whipped in the presence of your lovers.” Afra replied: “The only subject of my confusion and grief are my sins.” “Sacrifice,” said the judge, “I am ashamed that I have disputed so long with you. If you do not comply, you shall die.” Afra replied: “That is what I desire, if I am not unworthy to find rest by this confession.” The judge said: “Sacrifice, or I will order you to be tormented, and afterwards burnt alive.” Afra answered: “Let that body which hath sinned undergo torments; but as to my soul, I will not taint it by sacrificing to demons.” Then the judge passed sentence upon her as follows: “We condemn Afra, a prostitute who hath declared herself a Christian, to be tortured and then burnt alive, because she hath refused to offer sacrifice to the gods.”
The executioners immediately seized her, and carried her into an island in the river Lech, upon which Ausburg stands. There they stripped her and tied her. She lifted up her eyes to heaven, and prayed with tears, saying: “O Lord Jesus Christ, Omnipotent God, who camest to call not the righteous, but sinners to repentance, accept now the penance of my sufferings, and by this temporal fire deliver me from the everlasting fire, which torments both body and soul.”
Whilst the executioners were torturing her young body with flaming torches she said: “I return thee thanks, O Lord Jesus Christ, for the honour thou hast done me in receiving me a holocaust for thy name’s sake.” A fire was lit under her. “I offer myself a victim to thee, O my God, who livest and reignest with the Father and the Holy Ghost world without end. Amen.” Having spoken these words she gave up the ghost, being suffocated by the smoke.

Gabriel Roman arena 272-1-.jpg Afra of Augsburg 5966060660.jpg

Back
Top Bottom