Public Executions In The Arena

Go to CruxDreams.com
Gabriel Roman arena 289-1-.jpg

MUSTIOLA OF CLUSIUM SCOURGED TO DEATH

Mustiola was a noble woman (possibly related to Emperor Claudius) living in Clusium (today: Chiusi (Tuscany), Italy). She helped imprisoned Christians, provided them with food and treated the wounds of torture victims.
She also tried to comfort the deacon Irenaeus of Sutri, who had buried Christian martyrs and had been arrested, sent to Clusium, and cruelly mistreated at the command of prefect Turcius. Her interference with Irenaeus' punishment led to her own arrest. Irenaeus was killed before her eyes, and she was beaten to death with a scourge inside the arena.

Attachments

• Mustiola 0091.jpg
    Mustiola 0091.jpg
    366.4 KB · Views: 640
  • Mustiola 0090.jpg
    Mustiola 0090.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 638
Last edited:
View attachment 512641

MUSTIOLA OF CLUSIUM SCOURGED TO DEATH

Mustiola was a noble woman (possibly related to Emperor Claudius) living in Clusium (today: Chiusi (Tuscany), Italy). She helped imprisoned Christians, provided them with food and treated the wounds of torture victims.
She also tried to comfort the deacon Irenaeus of Sutri, who had buried Christian martyrs and had been arrested, sent to Clusium, and cruelly mistreated at the command of prefect Turcius. Her interference with Irenaeus' punishment led to her own arrest. Irenaeus was killed before her eyes, and she was beaten to death with a scourge inside the arena.
Gruesome fate, but a wonderful manip again!

Gabriel Roman arena 248.1-.jpg

MARGARETA OF ANTIOCH CRUCIFIED AND TORTURED

Margareta was the daughter of a pagan priest at Antioch. She lost her mother in infancy and was placed in the care of a nurse in the country, who was a Christian, and whose first care was to have her little charge Baptized and to give the child a Christian education. Margaret grew up a modest, pious virgin, and when she returned to her father he was charmed with the grace and virtue of his daughter. He regretted only one thing; she took no part in the worship of the idols. When she told him the reason he was greatly displeased, for she stated that she was a Christian, and that nothing should separate her from the love of Christ.

Her father tried every means to change her mind, and when all his endeavors failed became enraged and drove her forth from his house. Margaret returned to her nurse and became her servant, doing all kinds of menial work, and at the same time perfecting herself in virtue.

About this time Emperor Diocletian began to persecute the Christians. One day Alybrius, the prefect of the city, saw Margaret, and fell in love with her. He sent a messenger to ask her in marriage. The pious Virgin was filled with consternation at the proposal and replied to the messenger: "I can not be espoused to your master, because I am the spouse of Our Lord Jesus Christ. I am promised to Him, and to Him I wish to belong." When the prefect heard this, he became furious with rage, and gave orders to have the Virgin brought to him by force.

When she appeared before him he thus addressed her:

"What is your name and condition?" She replied: "I am called Margareta, and belong to a noble family. I adore Christ and serve Him." The prefect now advised her to abandon the worship of a crucified God. Margaret asked him, "How do you know that we worship a crucified God?" The prefect replied: "From the writings of the Christians." Margaret continued: "Why did you not read further on? These would have told you that the Crucified rose on the third day, and that He ascended into Heaven. Is it love of truth to believe in the abasement of Christ and to reject His glorification, when both are related in the selfsame?"

At this reproof the prefect became angry and ordered the tender Virgin to be cruelly scourged, placed on the cross, and torn with iron combs.

Margaret declared that she despised the heathen gods. At this, the rage of Alybrius knew no bounds. He ordered lighted torches to be applied to Margaret's body, and then had her cast into icy water to intensify her torture.

Finally the prefect ordered Margaret to be beheaded. Her glorious Martyrdom and death occurred about the year 275.

Gabriel Roman arena 248.1-.jpg Margherita 7877.jpg Margherita 658855var.jpg Margherita 8585595.jpg Margherita di Antiochia - 051var.jpg Margherita di Antiochia - 0571var.jpg

About this time Emperor Diocletian began to persecute the Christians. One day Alybrius, the prefect of the city, saw Margaret, and fell in love with her. He sent a messenger to ask her in marriage. The pious Virgin was filled with consternation at the proposal and replied to the messenger: "I can not be espoused to your master, because I am the spouse of Our Lord Jesus Christ. I am promised to Him, and to Him I wish to belong." When the prefect heard this, he became furious with rage, and gave orders to have the Virgin brought to him by force.
One wonders what might have happened if she had just said, "let me think about it" and never got back to him

Gabriel Roman arena 294-1.jpg

SLAVE ALYPIA CRUCIFIED AND TORTURED WITH FLAMING TORCHES FOR ARSON

In 109 a.D. in the town of Sentinum (Italy) a young slave called Alypia was charged with arson. After a brief trial, she was judged guilty and condemned to die in the amphitheatrum.

On the following day she was stripped naked, nailed to a cross and scourged; then she was burned with torches for more than an hour. Finally, a fire was set under the cross, so Alypia was burned and suffocated by the smoke and died.

View attachment 530174

SLAVE ALYPIA CRUCIFIED AND TORTURED WITH FLAMING TORCHES FOR ARSON

In 109 a.D. in the town of Sentinum (Italy) a young slave called Alypia was charged with arson. After a brief trial, she was judged guilty and condemned to die in the amphitheatrum.

On the following day she was stripped naked, nailed to a cross and scourged; then she was burned with torches for more than an hour. Finally, a fire was set under the cross, so Alypia was burned and suffocated by the smoke and died.
Nailed and burned, the best treatment for a woman

A few of mine for the group, with compliments, great thread.

Attachments

• romandecadence576 (1).jpg
    romandecadence576 (1).jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 667
  • romandecadence633 (1).jpg
    romandecadence633 (1).jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 637
  • romandecadence642.jpg
    romandecadence642.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 603
Here are my versions of the lovely images posted here.

Attachments

• romandecadence745.jpg
    romandecadence745.jpg
    332.2 KB · Views: 652
  • romandecadence746.jpg
    romandecadence746.jpg
    470.8 KB · Views: 676
  • romandecadence747.jpg
    romandecadence747.jpg
    454.8 KB · Views: 665
romandecadence745.jpg romandecadence746.jpg romandecadence747.jpg Gabriel Roman arena 289-1-.jpg Gabriel Roman arena 248.1-.jpg Gabriel Roman arena 294-1-.jpg

Receiving compliments by the great Damian is a real honour for me, and I truly appreciate the way he has modified and re-interpreted my pictures.
Damian's work has always been a source of inspiration for me. I would have never thought my work could be a source of inspiration for him!

Back
Top Bottom