Queen Of Chaos

Go to CruxDreams.com
Part 2 – episode 16

I pulled the zipper of my handbag, but I got the wrong one! It was just an empty, shallow pocket. It must have been at the other side! I found out that the shoulder strap was twisted! Then I found right the zipper, but it wouldn't open! New handbags! Always the same! I pulled with both hands to open it! It seemed to last an eternity! It costs two months of income of an average Illyrian worker, but the damn zipper is stuck! Finally I got it open. I put my hand inside and I grabbed for the grip of the gun. But I found the barrel. That gun was apparently backwards and upside down, and it was moreover stuck, somewhere, inside that bag, by a strap only God knows for what was meant for. First I pulled on the barrel, but something told me that pulling an upward pointing loaded gun by the barrel, could be a very bad idea. So, I tried to release it from below! I fumbled around, trying to get the gun free. Finally, I got the grip. I looked around again. All the attention still went into the incident with the horses. In the car they were all still distracted by it. All, except,..

The wife of the Archduke! She had noticed me! And I saw in her eyes that she knew what I was up to! And both for her and me it was clear that everybody else was not paying attention to me! There was no time anymore for her to warn one of the four men in the car for the imminent danger. While she kept watching me, I saw her look change from concern to determination. She righted herself a little bit, she put her left hand on the back of the seat in front of her and she bent forward while she continued to look straight at me. In a flash I realized what she had in mind!

She had made my field of firing very small, unless I would…

Suddenly I hesitated. I realized that I could not do it! I released the grip of the gun and pulled out my hand. Step by step I tried to get my feet out of the bars of the fallen barrier, trying not to stumble. Then, the horse that had been on the run, returned, and stopped at its original position, between me and the Archduke’s car. As quickly as possible, I tried to vanish into the crowd. Empire-Illyria three-zero!

"Aurore! What was the matter with you? You stood there right in front of him! Why didn’t you shoot!? "
"That damn handbag did not open!"
"You know the zipper of a new handbag must always be treated with candle wax first! Otherwise you get misery! "
"I know! Furthermore, ..! "
"What?"
"That wife of the Archduke had seen me! And she had figured out what I was up to! "
"So what? The only thing that you had to do was to shoot!? No one else was watching you! "
"Lisa! Do you know what she did? She offered herself as a living shield to her husband! I would first have her shot! To eliminate her as an obstacle! I would have had no more chance to hit him. "
"Had at least tried, then!"
"Are you completely mad, Lisa!? She has four children! Do you people really think everyone can be murdered, just for the cause? Yes, you do, I know! But I keep thinking at ‘Téméraire’? "

She said nothing more, except:
"Go to the car and prepare it for driving away. It is all failed. I'm going to collect the others and I'll be right there!"
She did not have to ask me twice. I quickly left that square and I went to the car, as fast I could. As soon my new shoes permitted it, by the way, because they ran not so easy. If I had really shot, then I would not have gone far, at least if I would have had time to get out of the bars of the barriers. If I had drawn that gun, I had been dead by now!

I reached the car and got in without any problems. I just had to wait for Lisa and the others. Sitting behind the wheel, I could finally scrub off some stress. What a situation I was in! I almost had shot as well. What took me? And I had to think constantly to the Archduke’s wife, how she had offered herself as a living shield for her husband! Suppose! Suppose I ever would have been Queen of France, would I have done that for Robert, would I have committed the same sacrifice for him, would the same circumstances have occurred?

“Aurore! Aufwachen!”
I woke up! Someone was ticking at the side window of the car. Still sleepy, I tried to pull my mind together. It became clear to me that I was still sitting in the getaway car in the Beethovenstrasse. I was here on request by Lisa, who had said she would come soon. I had got into the car and I had waited. But no one came, and I must have fallen asleep. Meanwhile, it was dark – and cold. Next to the car stood a van. Josip, in his wheelchair, sat in the passenger compartment.
“Aurore, komm, Schnell! Marko will follow with the car!”
Marko, the man who had waken me up, took over the getaway car, while I got into the van with Josip.
“What happened, Josip? Where is Lisa?”
“Keine Ahnung? I have absolutely no idea! Do you know?”
“No, she had said she would be here soon…!”
“She had signaled that the operation had failed. Afterwards, I haven’t heard from her neither!”
“Is she arrested?”
“Not that I know! She has simply vanished!”
“Where are we going?”
“Nach Hause, Aurore!”

It all looked bad. Josip said nothing more underway. Then, after about an hour's drive on dark roads we arrived at a familiar place: the castle I had spent months in the past. We got out. Josip was still taciturn.
"Geh schlafen, Aurore!"

I went to sleep as Josip had ordered. The next morning, he was up early. He was clearly annoyed. It was still not clear what had happened to Lisa and the others. But there was clearly something going on.

“It was all betrayed! Those damned Serbs did it! They provided us with all wrong information. I am sure they wanted to shoot Friedrich Wilhelm themselves and they were even prepared to betray their own comrades! Their own Illyrian people! You were right, Aurore! Maybe Illyria is a myth! It will not work yet! We still have to go a long way before all the people of Illyria shall be able to live together!”
“I was very close! But I could not do it, Josip! The Archduke’s wife was prepared to protect her husband with her own life!”
“I heard what happened from Lisa’s latest message! You were right not to shoot! The world would not have forgiven us if we had killed her! You have nothing to blame yourself!”
“And now!?”
“I am afraid, you have to go now, Aurore!”
“To go, but;..?”
“We better get you out of all this, for your own safety!”
“To go!? Where?”
“It is all over! Soon, I will retreat to Hungary again! I have papers and some money for you! Here is a car key. You will drive to Macedonia!”
“To Macedonia?”
“To Thessaloniki. Here is an address. Go there! Someone there will help you further!”
“But, Josip…?”
“Go, Aurore, go now, and don’t look back. It is all over! Go, as long as it is still possible!”
He sounded authoritative. Too authoritative to ignore! Clearly, he would not accept a refusal.
“Auf wiedersehen, Josip!”
“Farewell, Aurore! Geh jetzt, und leb wohl, du kühnes, herliches Kind!”
“What did you say, Josip!?”
“Nothing, Aurore! Go now! It is for your own good!”

Confused I got into the car. It was a small model, but obviously enough to drive away. The gas tank was full. There was a road map inside. I also had some food, enough for two days. I started the engine and drove away.

It was a more than five hundred miles ride to the Macedonian border. Over Zagreb, Belgrade, Pristina and Skopje. It was already dark when I arrived at the border with Macedonia. During the night the border crossing was closed, so I slept in my car. The next morning I crossed the border without problems. Shortly after noon I arrived in Thessaloniki, and I went to the address Josip had given me. It was a carpet shop somewhere in a narrow street. I showed the man the card that Josip had given me. He looked at me and nodded. With my imperfect Slovenian I understood that I could park the car and I could spend the night in it. The following day he would help me further.

And indeed, the next day he brought me to the port, where I got a ticket for a ferry, ready to sail. It was the ferry to the island of Chaos. He gave me an address, and some good advice: stay on that island. Don't go away! You will be nowhere else safe in Europe! It was a good advice from Josip himself.

After a passage of nearly a day, the ferry arrived at the port of Chaos City. It was evening, a delicious warm summer evening, as I stood on the quays. Around me there was the busy hustle and bustle of a port: fishermen, boaters, hikers, sailors. Further, along the port, tourists enjoyed eating and drinking on the terraces. I would never forget the day of my arrival. It was the first of July of the year 1998. Almost a month earlier I got thirty-two. Here I stood, on the run for both the King of France and the Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire. Practically without a penny, dirty and wrecked after a long trip in the car and two nights sleeping in that car. Without any prospect, my sole possession being the clothes and shoes I wore, those I had bought in Laibach to commit a murder, some money Josip had given me, and a few more things in the suitcase I had taken to Laibach for the stay in the hotel. According to my passport, I was Luisa Schneider, born in Saverne in France, and according to my photo on the passport, I was most probably Lisa. But right, we seemed to resemble each other, after all. I looked around and I was wondering where I had to go. And what would be the future here? Who knows, would someone also suggest me here to become a Queen? Queen in a prison without bars? Queen of Chaos this time? I was used to it!

“Can I help you?”
Behind me stood a small, friendly smiling red haired lady that addressed me. In English. I had to search for words. I hardly knew English. That language was nowhere taught on the schools. English was regarded throughout Europe as a simple Island language, full of barbaric sounds. A language without the inflections and cases, in which all nouns were simply neuter. But I had to face the fact. I was now myself on an island and I would better put aside my bias and accept the helping hand that was offered, regardless in what language it was.

The woman was called Judith, as it turned out. She helped me to the address that the man in Thessaloniki had given me. But she also gave her own contacts, because she knew people who could help me here. Because she had quickly understood that I had come to Chaos for a reason other than a touristic journey, and that I would not leave soon.

My contact on the island lived in an apartment in a small street just outside the St. George’s Gate. He could give me accommodation for a few days, and meanwhile he looked for a summer job for me, as a dishwasher in a restaurant. In the tourist season, there was always plenty of demand for such helping hands. He presented it as a starting job, a temporary solution that would earn money immediately. In the meantime I could look forward to private accommodation and a better job. Like the man in Thessaloniki, he asked no questions. Referring to 'Josip ' was apparently enough to get help.

I also decided to use the help Judith had offered me. She helped me to a find a place to stay. The one we found was not large. It was located in one of the many narrow streets near the Saint-Nicolas’ Gate. It was on the second floor of an old, small building, above a souvenir shop, but outside of the busiest tourist destinations. It was a called a ‘studio', although it was basically just one room of about twenty feet by eight feet. On one side there was a ‘bathroom’ of approximately six feet, behind a curtain. So, at least there was water, and electricity. In the main part was a bed, a large wardrobe, a table and two chairs. There was one window, five feet long and two feet high, with a view on a side wall of an adjacent house, about nine feet away, and on the blue sky. In the afternoon, during about one and a half hour, sunshine fell through the window.

At first I was rather reluctant to take it, because I preferred the area just outside the Saint George’s Gate, with its white apartment blocks and its wide streets with trees on the sidewalk. At a first glance, it felt more pleasant to live there. But Judith insisted to take the studio, for several reasons. First, she said, I had to take into consideration that appearances are deceiving. My contact was living in one of the better streets of the Saint-George’s Gate Quarter, but that supposedly neat and fresh quarter hid a lot of poverty. In some streets and in some apartment buildings, there was crime, even true anarchy. As a single woman it would even be harder to live there, because the poverty went hand in hand with a very conservative moral. A woman was supposed to have a man, otherwise she was regarded as a whore. Furthermore, despite my qualifications, which she knew already, I would never manage to find a job at any level, because the inhabitants of the St. George’s Gate Quarter have the stigma of being low-skilled, lazy and unreliable. Living In the St. Marcus or in the St. Nicolas quarter would mean a social upgrade despite the housing being much smaller. So she urged me to take the little studio she had proposed. After all, it would be a temporary solution. So, I followed Judith's advice. Shortly afterwards she arranged for me a part-time and temporary employment in the English fleet base. Not at the quays, actually. It had to do something with the administration of the officer's mess, which was located in the Diplomat’s Quarter. The mess was regularly visited by invited civilians too, and the contacts I made there and the help of Judith, allowed me to get part-time jobs elsewhere. After about a year I had gathered enough part-time office jobs, so I could give up doing dishes. I earned enough money to afford the expensive life on Chaos (because many goods had to be imported). Only local fruits and wine were cheap.

About then, Maryszkà arrived too, and she also got helped by Judith. Olga would appear some three years after my arrival, Smyrna only eight years after me. All were helped by Judith and by us, to get settled on the island. That way we forged a band, like Judith called it, that shared joy and sorrow and that made the Saint-Nicolas Quarter ‘unsafe’. We, the Queens of Chaos.

End of Part 2 (to be continued)

This story is a roller coaster but it's amazing!!
Excellent job Loxuru! :clapping:

“Stop dreaming, Luisa!”

“Pute Alsacienne!”
“Calling me an Alsacian whore!? Are you doubting my honour, Lieutenant!?”
“I know your kind of women!”

At first sight, it looked like a lipstick. Then I saw it was a detonator!

"What is she doing here!?" It clearly angered him to see me entering the meeting. He was all but pleased as he learned I worked on the management floor now.

Unbelievable! She vanishes for days and then shows up at the most inappropriate moment!

“Before you start bombing public buildings, may I remind you I am working in one too!?”

“I want to have a word with you about the murder of a French officer!”

“Smyrna! Did your mother never warn you against going along with strange men!?”

“You know how it is with the Ottomans! If they are in a nice mood, they drown you, if they are normal, they behead you with a pocket knife, and if they are cruel, the crucify you!”

Through a cloud of smoke and dust, the full moon face vanished with a grimace of pain.

As I realized what I had done, all I could say was “Merde!”
“Merde!” He replied.

“My God, Luisa, what have you done!? Such a carnage!”
“What’s wrong with saying ‘thanks for rescuing me!?”

“Madame, I have nothing to explain to you about whom I am!” he replied.

There is someone on this island who knows my true identity!

A leap in time. Aurore is now living for many years on Chaos, as Luisa Schneider. She has fully adapted to life on the island. She feels safe and free and the political games she has been involved in, are a long ago memory. But then, a crisis breaks out. It brings her past to Chaos, in a way she had never anticipated. It becomes a threat, a dilemma and an enigma! Soon, she will have to look back over her shoulder to survive!

Coming up! Queen of Chaos part 3!:attention:

Part 3 – episode 17.

AUGUST 2015.

It was still early morning, but it was, as usual in August, already warm in my 'studio'. After about seventeen years on Chaos, I still lived in that studio. It was a way to keep life cheap. In full summer, it was always warm inside, even though I used to cover the window to keep the sun out during her short passage in the afternoon. Now, the window was not covered and from my bed I saw the fresh blue morning sky through it. Although I was totally naked, I had pushed away my thin blanket. It was definitely too warm under it, lying along with Pavlos. The bed was actually just a little bit too narrow for two. A wider bed, however, would have given problems to get my other furniture placed in the limited living space of my studio.

Pavlos was also awake now. He looked at me, and I immediately noticed that he got turned on. That kind of early morning rides were not really my thing, but Pavlos could apparently wake up quite fast and energetic. Earlier in our relationship, I had refused him sometimes, but that usually ended up with one or two slaps in my face, after which I nevertheless surrendered. I usually took my revenge on him by means of bursting out in a ‘French colère’, giving him a humiliating dressing down, preferably in a public space. Eventually we had agreed to stop that conduct. I let him do his thing in the morning, when he wanted it. That few minutes of fun, why would I not allow him? All that fuzz was not worth quarreling. And it was anyway still a hundred times more spontaneous than in Rambouillet, where I got taken on command by Robert, with Germaine as Chief Controller. Maybe it was also because, right ..., as it had been with Josip, is has never been the same afterwards. Pavlos could not help it that Josip once had set a standard of expectation so high that no other man ever had matched again. This way, Pavlos and I kept for more than five years already.

Pavlos grabbed me, rubbed his naked body against mine, cuddling and caressing my breasts and my neck. Then he crept upon and into me. I opened my legs and made him come. After all, he would soon go away, to Brol, for four or five days, but it could also be twice as long. Trade needs the time it takes. Meanwhile, I would have to rely on the company of Judith, Maryszkà, Smyrna or Olga. Pavlos pushed on and came quickly. He relaxed, kept on cuddling a while and finally rolled away. Moments later I urged him to leave, so he would not miss his boat to Brol. He stood up, dressed and left. I kept lying another half an hour and finished Pavlos’ job, playing with myself, imagining he still was here. Or Josip. Or Robert, particularly with Germaine lustfully watching while reminding me of my duties to the Crown of France. Or imagining I was publically garroted for treason in front of the Bastille in Paris, along with Lisa and Germaine, naked, sitting on a stool, my hands tied behind the pole, feeling the sling grabbing my neck. That fantasy seemed to work the best, strange enough…

Then I stood up and went to my bathroom. I looked at myself in the mirror. I saw Aurore d'Artois, or at least, what was left of her gloire and grandeur from years ago. Aurore d'Artois, had no first sign of graying hair, no wrinkles around and above her eyes. No brown, dry, cracking skin. No breasts in the early process of sagging. No rolls around the hips. No cellulite on the butt and thighs. No, the woman I saw in the mirror was Luisa Schneider! No doubt!

I should have warned Pavlos to be careful. We were living in uncertain times, in the whole of Europe. Several weeks ago, the world had seen a gruesome terrorist act. In Belgrade, Archduke Friedrich Wilhelm had been assassinated. The same Count Friedrich Wilhelm von Wittelstein genannt von Maierhoff, I had once been sent to help assassinate in Laibach! The attempt had been successful this time. The operation had been the same as 'our' plan of action back in Laibach in 1998. First, a grenade had been thrown and then bullets had been fired. The two perpetrators were Serbian nationalists. One was killed by a lancer from the Count’s escort, the other one had taken a poison pill. The Archduke, meanwhile Chancellor of the Emperor, was not the only victim. Also the French Prime Minister, who was in the same car, got killed in the attack. That failure to protect a high visitor, brought the Empire in serious diplomatic embarrassment, and demanded a hard retaliation. Raids in the nationalist circles in the Dalmatian territories followed.

Since, the event had escalated to a serious international crisis, that had largely outgrown the original scope of catching a group of hardline Serb nationalists. The Empire turned against Hungary, that was accused to shelter and support all kinds of nationalist groups from Dalmatia, Czechia and Slovakia. The Holy Roman Empire had sent a memorandum to Budapest, in which the Emperor claimed the right to conduct police investigations in Hungary to get the terrorists who were considered responsible for the attack. Of course Budapest had refused that request, after which the Holy Roman Empire had threatened with 'police actions', say military raids, on Hungarian territory, to eradicate the hostile nationalist groups. Thereupon Hungary to asked support from its allies, to help protect its territorial integrity. In Europe a highly threatening polarization began to develop.

The Holy Roman Empire got support from Poland, and also from Naples-Sicily, which had to protect similar interests in Dalmatia and the Balkans as the Empire. Which made the Pope warn the Christians in Europe to stay united and not to start mutual bloodshed. His call was primarily intended with the safety of his own territories in mind, but the developments indicated that his fears were not unfounded. Bulgaria supported Hungary and gained itself the support of Russia. Recently (and that was the imminent danger coming up), Russia had sent warships to the Bulgarian port of Varna, intended as a cordial visit. Even more, it was announced that this fleet would sail through the Bosporus to the Mediterranean. It would be the first time in more than a century that the Sultan would allow Russian warships to pass along. The fleet would sail to Izmir (formerly named Smyrna), and finally to Brol, within sight of Chaos.

The beacons were clearly set. The Tsar and the Sultan, the eternal enemies, were about to join forces to strengthen their influence in Europe. The Russian influence could thrust forward like a spearhead, through Bulgaria and Hungary, and also by supporting the nationalist movements in Dalmatia, Czechia and Slovakia. And maybe the Tsar could also seduce Greece to rely on him to solve its territorial claims. For the sultan it was possible to gain larger influence in Albania and parts of Dalmatia too. The Eastern Mediterranean would see growing influence of the Sultan, threatening Cyprus, Chaos, and the English possessions in the Middle East.

The position of France in the conflict had been as yet less clear. Since the King’s Prime Minister had been killed in the assassination too, the country had at the first glance a reason to support the Holy Roman Empire. But it was not that simple! France had been accused by the Empire to support the Illyrian movement and other groups in the area between Dalmatia and the Black Sea. France and the HRE actually competed to get influence in Romania in particular. Based on a sentiment of common cultural roots between the two countries, referring to the common Romanic languages, France ‘protected’ the Romanians against too much influence from the Germanic HRE (the real reason was, of course, to acquire interests in the oil fields of Ploesti). Both Hungary and France had interest in weakening the authority of the Empire in Dalmatia. So, ironically, France supported moderate Serbian and other Illyrian nationalists. The French Minister was at the time of the attack in Belgrade to talk about that conflict. Therefore some Dalmatian nationalists claimed that not they, but the secret services of the HRE had inspired and allowed the Serbs to commit the assassination from behind the stage.

France was risking to lose its face in all options. If it would not take action, it would leave the murder of its Prime Minister unpunished. But if it would choose for a hard action, on the side of the HRE, that would be at the expense of its credibility and interests in Dalmatia and around the Black Sea. King Jacques saw himself forced to address the population of the Franco-Iberian Union in a speech that left both options open. France trusted on the HRE to thoroughly investigate the assassination, and also counted on the cooperation of all the other countries concerned, because it was, as the king emphasized, 'in no nation's interest that such crimes would remain unpunished'. At the same time King Jacques stressed that France always would be open to aspirations of peoples in their quest for more self-government, on condition that this would happen in a peaceful way. But he warned all countries to not to abuse this crisis. France would defend its interests everywhere to all price, in solidarity with all the nations with which it has concluded agreements to that end. So, France still left all possibilities open, without explicitly supporting the HRE and his allies, or standing up against them.

The result of the crisis became visible in the streets of Chaos. There were more soldiers patrolling in the streets, also French ones. Gun emplacements were armed and manned. Although it had become clear that the Russian ships in Varna were manned with peace level complements, and carried no marine infantry, and no one believed that the Russians would actually attack Chaos, some show of strength was considered appropriate. Russian navy support for an operation of the armies of the Sultan against Chaos, was always a possibility.

Did I have reason to be afraid of a conflict?? And what about Pavlos, who had left for Brol? Trade is always the latest victim of an international crisis he always had stated, so everything went on as planned. I went to my work in the offices of the Governor. The Office was located in a massive building that was part of the second wall of the Governor's Palace. My desk was in an office room that stretched over the entire area of that floor of the tower. It used to have been the storage room of projectiles during a siege. Through the windows, one oversaw the whole city, that looked like an amphitheater inclining towards the port and the Saint Peter’s Gate. What had always intrigued me, was the distant view, from the window near my desk. In the distance stood a high mountain. It was a typical table mountain as there were a lot of on Chaos, characterized by a flat top. I had been told that these flat tops consisted of a thick layer of massive limestone, protecting the softer rock under it. The mountain I saw from my office, was about ten miles outside the city. It stood on the coastline, rising nearly thousand two hundred feet straight above the sea. The landward side was inclined, the seaward side was a steep, nearly vertical cliff.

“Nicht traumen, Luisa!.”
From my desk, I had been staring to 'my mountain'. It stood blue grey against the pale blue sky. Milos teased me with it. Milos was, what is usually called, my 'immediate superior' on my work in the Governor's building. But he was an empathetic man. He knew that the view on that mountain fascinated me, and he also knew, as one of the few, beside my girlfriends party, about the underlying story. Years ago, during an excursion, a certain Jérôme Fauquet, a French First Lieutenant from the international coalition guarding Chaos,, had refused me access to that mountain, because of military radar equipment installed on it. Coincidentally, that same evening, I had met him again in a bar and he had offered me something to drink. It had been the beginning of a relationship that would last a few years, and that suddenly had been broken when he was called back to France, as Captain Fauquet. I couldn't join him. He had suggested it, and I even had considered it. But I could not. The passport of Luisa Schneider was forged. In Macedonia and on Chaos they did not look not so closely, but in France it would have been noticed immediately. I even would not have to go to France to get into trouble. I could only have intended to join him as his lawful wife. I knew the French army always did a thorough background check of the future wives of its officers, especially when they brought them from an overseas mission. They would soon have found out that Luisa Schneider not was the person she pretended to be. Especially when they would discover that Luisa Schneider was actually Aurore d'Artois, the still fugitive conspirator against the King. Captain Fauquet would soon have to visit his new wife in the Santé or in the Bastille. I did not risk it.

So I had to let go Jérôme. The next six months, I was mentally completely devastated, and it took me at least two years before I was more or less recovered from it. Without my girlfriends I would never had made it back! Knowing for sure!
Milos told me that the Russian ships were underway, from Varna in the Black Sea, to Maestros, the Bulgarian port in the Mediterranean. Was war at hand? Milos believed it was not. But he thought that the time had come that all true Greeks would think about the way their country was still played by the great powers. The major European powers were playing power games on historical Greek territory, in a conflict in which Greece actually was not involved or had no interest. In any case, Greece had to raise its voice, and to decide itself about its sovereignty. Milos opined that there would probably no real war emerging from it, but that for the next days the nearby great powers would play games, and Greece, and we on Chaos would have to think about opportunities, how to learn from it and look for the advantages, instead of just sweating it out.

Later that evening, we learned that the Russian ships had still not passed the Dardanelles. I met Judith who, believed that the trip from Varna to Maestros took about twenty-seven to thirty hours for an ordinary merchant ship. But warships usually sail faster. They had to be in Maestros already. So it what stopped them and where were they?

(to be continued)

Russian ships were underway, from Varna in the Black Sea, to Maestros, the Bulgarian port in the Mediterranean.

I was forced to stay a week in Varna in the 1960's with two broken springs on an old Austin minibus. "Istanbul or Bust" was our motto, bust seemed very likely. A tale for another day.

I'm interested in Maestros. Did Bulgaria extend to the Med once, if so what is Maestros now called? If not, where do you invisage it?

Part 3 – episode 17.

AUGUST 2015.

It was still early morning, but it was, as usual in August, already warm in my 'studio'. After about seventeen years on Chaos, I still lived in that studio. It was a way to keep life cheap. In full summer, it was always warm inside, even though I used to cover the window to keep the sun out during her short passage in the afternoon. Now, the window was not covered and from my bed I saw the fresh blue morning sky through it. Although I was totally naked, I had pushed away my thin blanket. It was definitely too warm under it, lying along with Pavlos. The bed was actually just a little bit too narrow for two. A wider bed, however, would have given problems to get my other furniture placed in the limited living space of my studio.

Pavlos was also awake now. He looked at me, and I immediately noticed that he got turned on. That kind of early morning rides were not really my thing, but Pavlos could apparently wake up quite fast and energetic. Earlier in our relationship, I had refused him sometimes, but that usually ended up with one or two slaps in my face, after which I nevertheless surrendered. I usually took my revenge on him by means of bursting out in a ‘French colère’, giving him a humiliating dressing down, preferably in a public space. Eventually we had agreed to stop that conduct. I let him do his thing in the morning, when he wanted it. That few minutes of fun, why would I not allow him? All that fuzz was not worth quarreling. And it was anyway still a hundred times more spontaneous than in Rambouillet, where I got taken on command by Robert, with Germaine as Chief Controller. Maybe it was also because, right ..., as it had been with Josip, is has never been the same afterwards. Pavlos could not help it that Josip once had set a standard of expectation so high that no other man ever had matched again. This way, Pavlos and I kept for more than five years already.

Pavlos grabbed me, rubbed his naked body against mine, cuddling and caressing my breasts and my neck. Then he crept upon and into me. I opened my legs and made him come. After all, he would soon go away, to Brol, for four or five days, but it could also be twice as long. Trade needs the time it takes. Meanwhile, I would have to rely on the company of Judith, Maryszkà, Smyrna or Olga. Pavlos pushed on and came quickly. He relaxed, kept on cuddling a while and finally rolled away. Moments later I urged him to leave, so he would not miss his boat to Brol. He stood up, dressed and left. I kept lying another half an hour and finished Pavlos’ job, playing with myself, imagining he still was here. Or Josip. Or Robert, particularly with Germaine lustfully watching while reminding me of my duties to the Crown of France. Or imagining I was publically garroted for treason in front of the Bastille in Paris, along with Lisa and Germaine, naked, sitting on a stool, my hands tied behind the pole, feeling the sling grabbing my neck. That fantasy seemed to work the best, strange enough…

Then I stood up and went to my bathroom. I looked at myself in the mirror. I saw Aurore d'Artois, or at least, what was left of her gloire and grandeur from years ago. Aurore d'Artois, had no first sign of graying hair, no wrinkles around and above her eyes. No brown, dry, cracking skin. No breasts in the early process of sagging. No rolls around the hips. No cellulite on the butt and thighs. No, the woman I saw in the mirror was Luisa Schneider! No doubt!

I should have warned Pavlos to be careful. We were living in uncertain times, in the whole of Europe. Several weeks ago, the world had seen a gruesome terrorist act. In Belgrade, Archduke Friedrich Wilhelm had been assassinated. The same Count Friedrich Wilhelm von Wittelstein genannt von Maierhoff, I had once been sent to help assassinate in Laibach! The attempt had been successful this time. The operation had been the same as 'our' plan of action back in Laibach in 1998. First, a grenade had been thrown and then bullets had been fired. The two perpetrators were Serbian nationalists. One was killed by a lancer from the Count’s escort, the other one had taken a poison pill. The Archduke, meanwhile Chancellor of the Emperor, was not the only victim. Also the French Prime Minister, who was in the same car, got killed in the attack. That failure to protect a high visitor, brought the Empire in serious diplomatic embarrassment, and demanded a hard retaliation. Raids in the nationalist circles in the Dalmatian territories followed.

Since, the event had escalated to a serious international crisis, that had largely outgrown the original scope of catching a group of hardline Serb nationalists. The Empire turned against Hungary, that was accused to shelter and support all kinds of nationalist groups from Dalmatia, Czechia and Slovakia. The Holy Roman Empire had sent a memorandum to Budapest, in which the Emperor claimed the right to conduct police investigations in Hungary to get the terrorists who were considered responsible for the attack. Of course Budapest had refused that request, after which the Holy Roman Empire had threatened with 'police actions', say military raids, on Hungarian territory, to eradicate the hostile nationalist groups. Thereupon Hungary to asked support from its allies, to help protect its territorial integrity. In Europe a highly threatening polarization began to develop.

The Holy Roman Empire got support from Poland, and also from Naples-Sicily, which had to protect similar interests in Dalmatia and the Balkans as the Empire. Which made the Pope warn the Christians in Europe to stay united and not to start mutual bloodshed. His call was primarily intended with the safety of his own territories in mind, but the developments indicated that his fears were not unfounded. Bulgaria supported Hungary and gained itself the support of Russia. Recently (and that was the imminent danger coming up), Russia had sent warships to the Bulgarian port of Varna, intended as a cordial visit. Even more, it was announced that this fleet would sail through the Bosporus to the Mediterranean. It would be the first time in more than a century that the Sultan would allow Russian warships to pass along. The fleet would sail to Izmir (formerly named Smyrna), and finally to Brol, within sight of Chaos.

The beacons were clearly set. The Tsar and the Sultan, the eternal enemies, were about to join forces to strengthen their influence in Europe. The Russian influence could thrust forward like a spearhead, through Bulgaria and Hungary, and also by supporting the nationalist movements in Dalmatia, Czechia and Slovakia. And maybe the Tsar could also seduce Greece to rely on him to solve its territorial claims. For the sultan it was possible to gain larger influence in Albania and parts of Dalmatia too. The Eastern Mediterranean would see growing influence of the Sultan, threatening Cyprus, Chaos, and the English possessions in the Middle East.

The position of France in the conflict had been as yet less clear. Since the King’s Prime Minister had been killed in the assassination too, the country had at the first glance a reason to support the Holy Roman Empire. But it was not that simple! France had been accused by the Empire to support the Illyrian movement and other groups in the area between Dalmatia and the Black Sea. France and the HRE actually competed to get influence in Romania in particular. Based on a sentiment of common cultural roots between the two countries, referring to the common Romanic languages, France ‘protected’ the Romanians against too much influence from the Germanic HRE (the real reason was, of course, to acquire interests in the oil fields of Ploesti). Both Hungary and France had interest in weakening the authority of the Empire in Dalmatia. So, ironically, France supported moderate Serbian and other Illyrian nationalists. The French Minister was at the time of the attack in Belgrade to talk about that conflict. Therefore some Dalmatian nationalists claimed that not they, but the secret services of the HRE had inspired and allowed the Serbs to commit the assassination from behind the stage.

France was risking to lose its face in all options. If it would not take action, it would leave the murder of its Prime Minister unpunished. But if it would choose for a hard action, on the side of the HRE, that would be at the expense of its credibility and interests in Dalmatia and around the Black Sea. King Jacques saw himself forced to address the population of the Franco-Iberian Union in a speech that left both options open. France trusted on the HRE to thoroughly investigate the assassination, and also counted on the cooperation of all the other countries concerned, because it was, as the king emphasized, 'in no nation's interest that such crimes would remain unpunished'. At the same time King Jacques stressed that France always would be open to aspirations of peoples in their quest for more self-government, on condition that this would happen in a peaceful way. But he warned all countries to not to abuse this crisis. France would defend its interests everywhere to all price, in solidarity with all the nations with which it has concluded agreements to that end. So, France still left all possibilities open, without explicitly supporting the HRE and his allies, or standing up against them.

The result of the crisis became visible in the streets of Chaos. There were more soldiers patrolling in the streets, also French ones. Gun emplacements were armed and manned. Although it had become clear that the Russian ships in Varna were manned with peace level complements, and carried no marine infantry, and no one believed that the Russians would actually attack Chaos, some show of strength was considered appropriate. Russian navy support for an operation of the armies of the Sultan against Chaos, was always a possibility.

Did I have reason to be afraid of a conflict?? And what about Pavlos, who had left for Brol? Trade is always the latest victim of an international crisis he always had stated, so everything went on as planned. I went to my work in the offices of the Governor. The Office was located in a massive building that was part of the second wall of the Governor's Palace. My desk was in an office room that stretched over the entire area of that floor of the tower. It used to have been the storage room of projectiles during a siege. Through the windows, one oversaw the whole city, that looked like an amphitheater inclining towards the port and the Saint Peter’s Gate. What had always intrigued me, was the distant view, from the window near my desk. In the distance stood a high mountain. It was a typical table mountain as there were a lot of on Chaos, characterized by a flat top. I had been told that these flat tops consisted of a thick layer of massive limestone, protecting the softer rock under it. The mountain I saw from my office, was about ten miles outside the city. It stood on the coastline, rising nearly thousand two hundred feet straight above the sea. The landward side was inclined, the seaward side was a steep, nearly vertical cliff.

“Nicht traumen, Luisa!.”
From my desk, I had been staring to 'my mountain'. It stood blue grey against the pale blue sky. Milos teased me with it. Milos was, what is usually called, my 'immediate superior' on my work in the Governor's building. But he was an empathetic man. He knew that the view on that mountain fascinated me, and he also knew, as one of the few, beside my girlfriends party, about the underlying story. Years ago, during an excursion, a certain Jérôme Fauquet, a French First Lieutenant from the international coalition guarding Chaos,, had refused me access to that mountain, because of military radar equipment installed on it. Coincidentally, that same evening, I had met him again in a bar and he had offered me something to drink. It had been the beginning of a relationship that would last a few years, and that suddenly had been broken when he was called back to France, as Captain Fauquet. I couldn't join him. He had suggested it, and I even had considered it. But I could not. The passport of Luisa Schneider was forged. In Macedonia and on Chaos they did not look not so closely, but in France it would have been noticed immediately. I even would not have to go to France to get into trouble. I could only have intended to join him as his lawful wife. I knew the French army always did a thorough background check of the future wives of its officers, especially when they brought them from an overseas mission. They would soon have found out that Luisa Schneider not was the person she pretended to be. Especially when they would discover that Luisa Schneider was actually Aurore d'Artois, the still fugitive conspirator against the King. Captain Fauquet would soon have to visit his new wife in the Santé or in the Bastille. I did not risk it.

So I had to let go Jérôme. The next six months, I was mentally completely devastated, and it took me at least two years before I was more or less recovered from it. Without my girlfriends I would never had made it back! Knowing for sure!
Milos told me that the Russian ships were underway, from Varna in the Black Sea, to Maestros, the Bulgarian port in the Mediterranean. Was war at hand? Milos believed it was not. But he thought that the time had come that all true Greeks would think about the way their country was still played by the great powers. The major European powers were playing power games on historical Greek territory, in a conflict in which Greece actually was not involved or had no interest. In any case, Greece had to raise its voice, and to decide itself about its sovereignty. Milos opined that there would probably no real war emerging from it, but that for the next days the nearby great powers would play games, and Greece, and we on Chaos would have to think about opportunities, how to learn from it and look for the advantages, instead of just sweating it out.

Later that evening, we learned that the Russian ships had still not passed the Dardanelles. I met Judith who, believed that the trip from Varna to Maestros took about twenty-seven to thirty hours for an ordinary merchant ship. But warships usually sail faster. They had to be in Maestros already. So it what stopped them and where were they?

(to be continued)
This isn't just a story, this is Literature! :)

It's on a scale with some of the great epics... I was going to say 'War and Peace' but I mean that in a positive sense! It's so much better than War and Peace! :)

I was forced to stay a week in Varna in the 1960's with two broken springs on an old Austin minibus. "Istanbul or Bust" was our motto, bust seemed very likely. A tale for another day.

I'm interested in Maestros. Did Bulgaria extend to the Med once, if so what is Maestros now called? If not, where do you invisage it?

Wragg is right! Wow! Move over Tolstoy!

You are right, OS, the name 'Maestros' needs some explanation. Actually, if you look on a map, Maestros is a village next to the port city of Alexandroupoli, in today's Greece. However, in the story, this part of Greece has been snatched by the Bulgarians during the war of 1898. In the story, it is a still pending territorial conflict between Greece and Bulgaria. You can read that in Part 1, episode 3 :

"East Thracia had become Bulgarian. At the end of the war, Bulgaria had made use of the chaos on the Balkans, to invade Thracia, cutting off major supply and retreat ways of the armies of the Sultan. But afterwards they kept the area, inhabited by Greeks, with the port city of Maestros. So Bulgaria had obtained a direct way out to the Mediterranean Sea. What was left of Greece was a rump state, split in two parts by the Kingdom of Macedonia, that got a coastline around Thessaloníki."

Now I had a problem : Alexandroupoli is named after King Alexander I of Greece, reigning from 1917 to 1920. But in the story, this area did not belong to Greece at the time, but already to Bulgaria. So it would be incorrect with respect to the alternative history of the story, to name a port in Bulgarian hands after a Greek king who was never ruling the area. That's why I renamed the city 'Maestros', after the nearby village.

So, Maestros stands for Alexandroupoli.

This isn't just a story, this is Literature! :)

It's on a scale with some of the great epics... I was going to say 'War and Peace' but I mean that in a positive sense! It's so much better than War and Peace! :)
Wragg is right! Wow! Move over Tolstoy!
Believe me! I keep thinking all the time 'what an unbelievable and incredible chaos I am creating here!?':confused:

Maestros is a village next to the port city of Alexandroupoli,

Thanks, we drove through it on old Highway 2 back from Istanbul (it wasn't 'Bust').

You can read that in Part 1, episode 3 :

Here's a thought! Set a test on this alternate history, and only send the last chapter of your story by PM to those who get >75%. A gentle Christmas quiz for us all.

Part 3 – episode 18

Of all five of us, Olga was the tallest. Her tally largely compensated her somewhat curvy body shape. Used to display her femininity in her country of origin, she however did not bother showing her assets by her clothing style. Her round face under her long, usually knotted black hair, was all irresistible seduction for every man that came in her neighbourhood. Particularly, some men had asserted to me, her pitch dark eyes, which really seemed to act as abysses of attraction. Without doubt, Olga’s character was the most capricious of the five of us. Melancholia and exuberance were never far away from each other. She was a little bit unpredictable too, and deep inside, she was struggling with her self-confidence. She could engage herself very enthusiastically into something, to end up disappointed in no time. And when it concerned a relationship, she afterwards needed us to support her.

But now, Olga was mainly afraid. Olga worked full-time for a maritime company in the port, handling administration and logistics of the ferries to Greece and Macedonia. That evening, I saw her. It worried her that in the port, the outbound ferries were full. But those arriving from Athens or Thessaloniki were rather empty. Clearly a result of the political crisis. She feared for her job in the port. But even more, Olga was worried about the approaching Russian warships. She had heard they were in Maestros. She feared that the delay between the Bosphorus and the Dardanelles had to do with a joint operation that the Sultan and the Tsar were planning against Chaos. The island was claimed by Greece, although it formally belonged to no state. No other country except Greece could actually invoke a violation of its territorial integrity, but would any country start a war for the sake of these vague Greek claims? The result would be that a strategic position of the western powers would be lost. The island would be after all difficult to defend, because of its location in enemy waters, and for that reason also difficult to recapture.

"If the Russian army invades somewhere" she said, "then they first behave seemingly correct. Their first line combat troops are very disciplined. So everyone gets the feeling that it is not that bad at all. But when the first wave attack troops are gone, they are replaced by looters and rapists. That is an intentional policy! The Russian army is acting more systematically than it appears! After such a so-called uncontrolled fury, the fear is installed among the population. In addition, the Russians also have the habit, in the areas they occupy, to purge them thoroughly of everyone they consider as a possible opponent. They do that very thoroughly and systematically organized. Members of political organizations, refugees like me, and as a preventive measure, the elites of the local community will be rounded up. People in leading positions, notables, academics as well, they are all removed from society, leaving it decapitated. They are arrested and deported to Siberia to carry out forced labour there in harsh conditions, or they get summary executed somewhere hidden. in silence.” According to Olga things did not look good. We stayed the whole night together.

I had my worries too. They had to do with Smyrna, with something I had discovered from her, and with something even more annoying. First about Smyrna! Smyrna was the youngest of us. She was Greek, a naturally blonde Greek, proudly wearing her long hair. She was rather petite, a very nice and friendly young woman who enjoyed life. She was just … a little bit naïve by moments, and with my discovery of that secret of her, that could be a reason for worry.

I had discovered that Smyrna was hiding strange objects amidst her make-up tools. I found out the evening before. It was hot, too hot to stay indoors. A lot of people thought so and the outdoor cafes were full and the narrow streets were crowded. Just as if no crisis was at hand anymore. But in the minds of the people ruled the fear for the ships, which were on their way on the dark seas, far away beyond the horizon. That night, a lot of fear for the near future was drowned in wine and ouzo. It seemed as everyone wanted to enjoy one last time before it would get serious. In the Diplomatic Quarter the streets were too busy. We left the quarter, but also outside it was crowded all around. Only as we approached the St. George's Gate, it looked a little bit quieter, but appearances deceived. There were all kinds of groups of people around, but not just intending to make fun. Some carried Greek flags but others carried Ottoman flags. They challenged each other and shouted insults at each other and to people passing by. Smyrna did not like it, and she suggested to return to the Diplomatic Quarter. It was clear that confrontation between population groups was in the air. There was also significantly more police around than usual, and in a street aside even stood a truck with French soldiers in combat dress. We finally arrived on the square in front of Saint Peter’s Gate. We still found no place to eat and drink. Meanwhile a few more army trucks drove through the gate inside the city. There were rumors of riots around the Saint-George’s Gate.

Finally, we decided to buy some take-away food and some drink and go to her place.

As I was in her flat I had gone to the bathroom to wash my hands. I looked for some soap and I opened a closet. While searching, something suddenly fell out, a copper, lipstick like object. But there was electrical wiring in it. And as I had instinctively grabbed it while it was falling, I realized that I just had failed to lose my hand!
“Smyrna!?”
“Yes, Luisa?”
“What are these for?”
"That ... that is ... nothing special ... Some electrical tool! "
"Smyrna! Don’t fool me!"
She looked at me, caught and annoyed at the same time.
"But ..."
"Smyrna! Don’t fool me, I just said! I have once been explained how to make a bomb. These are detonators! They are used for igniting plastic explosives! What are you up to? "

Smyrna looked at me with anxious eyes and said nothing more.

We opened a bottle of wine, and then, almost an hour long, what I always had suspected got eventually confirmed. Smyrna having alliance to the Hellenic Dawn. Smyrna kept talking, uninterrupted! She vigorously defended the HD. About the injustice that had been done to Greece and to the Greek people, for centuries. The Lydian genocide, the occupation of Thrace by Bulgaria, the Macedonian issue, the occupation of parts of the historic Greece by the great powers, the way Greece was at the mercy of those powers. Greece, to whom Europe and the rest of the world owed so many. Greece, the cradle of civilization, of culture, of philosophy, of science, of state governance! At times, she seemed to have forgotten that I was there too, because she switched to Greek talking it in a way that I, even after years staying on Chaos, did not understand. At times, she raised her voice, at times she burst out in tears. Her ideas were at times radical, chaotic or contradictory. She talked about her ancestors that had been murdered on their native grounds by the Ottomans or that had been expelled from their homes and from their native country in Lydia. About how the other European powers had done nothing at all to stop that genocide, busy as they were with dividing their territorial loot, other Greek territories in fact! She fulminated on the Sultan and his subjects, the greatest villains of all time, but also on Naples Sicily, which had annexed the Peloponnese, on the Holy Roman Empire, that had created independent Macedonia on historical Greek territory, and she fulminated on Poland that supported the HRE, on France that had played the game of the HRE, and on England because of its occupation of half of Crete. She fulminated on the Bulgarians who had annexed Thrace and on Russia that had supported Bulgaria on that. And she fulminated on the Illyrians, because they regarded Macedonia as a part of their territory, and on Hungary that supported the Illyrians. In short, everyone was against the Greek people, I concluded. It gave me after all a déjà-vu! The way Smyrna profiled the Greeks as victims of a 'great historical injustice against the great historical Right', reminded me to similar attitudes of Benoît d'Artois about the d’Archambaults and the Spanish nobility. And her rampant ‘everyone-is-against-us-so-we-are-allowed-to-do-all-we-think-is-necessary' nationalism had a lot in common with Lisa and her Illyrian friends.

It was clear, Smyrna was hiding the detonators on behalf of the Hellenic Dawn. When she had calmed down, I tried talk to her. I asked her what the HD actually intended, and how they wanted to achieve their goals. Greece was not alone in the world. It would always have to take into account its neighbours and cope with the geopolitical reality. Greece did not have the assets that were needed today for being a regional superpower. If the Greek would see all of Europe as an enemy, then they made no chance to be heard. The Greeks would have to find at least one ally to trust. But Smyrna opined that if necessary, Greece had to take care of itself, alone. Showing they were there and standing up for their rights. And their plans were ambitious. The liberation of Crete, the Peloponnese, Macedonia and Thrace. And reconquering Marmara, Byzantium and Lydia, the area where her ancestors came from, and of the rest of Asia Minor. And Chaos and the Aegean Archipelago and other islands from the Pandemic Sea. I reminded her, that the story of her went back to her great-great-grandparents, people born around 1870-1875, four generations ago. All these areas were now inhabited by people who were born there, had grown up, and considered the area in the meantime as their home, as their ancestral land. People who had nothing to do with what had happened more than one hundred years ago, and which had no guilt to it at all. In Macedonia, in Thrace, in Lydia. If Greece would claim those territories again, the current residents would have to undergo the same fate as Smyrna's ancestors more than a century ago. But Smyrna didn't seem impressed. She rather thought 'so let it be, then ', although not fully convinced of her assertion, it seemed to me.

And how did they think to achieve that goal? With bombs, with terrorist attacks? They made no chance that way, I told her. The tourists, the main source of income in Greece and on Chaos would stay away? Robbing their own people of their life resources? Shooting in their own feet? Was that the solution? In addition, the HD had not even the support from Athens, considering the fact that Smyrna herself had been forced to flee to Chaos, away from the jurisdiction of the Greek courts. Would they start fighting against their own people?

Smyrna continued to defend its ideas, but less and less coherent and less conviction. At the end, she was exhausted. Eventually, learning that I had a past in a nationalist organization, she asked, no, she begged me for help. She was afraid. Afraid of what was to come.

And now, I was still considering? Would I agree to help her? To help Smyrna in her foolish Hellenic Dawn business? Anyway not out of sympathy for the HD from my side. I would have preferred to talk it out of her head, but that would be futile, without doubt! If I should help her, it would be for more personal reasons.

(to be continued)

Part 3 – episode 19.

During the next day, the news became more and more disturbing. First came the message that the Sultan had closed his airspace for aircraft with Chaos as destination, for at least forty-eight hours. The normal route of approaching aircraft was over the coast of Brol, to finally turn to land at Chaos. There was an alternative route, along which aircraft could use the runway in the opposite direction, but that was not ideal as the wind direction was mostly not good. The measure would undoubtedly cause problems, especially with the more intense military air traffic. Moreover, in the course of the day, four gray transport aircraft flew over the port at low altitude, clearly on approach from the forbidden route over Brol. Someone noticed these were French army aircraft with reinforcements. Two hours later, a few jet aircraft of the Ottoman air force flew over Chaos City, making three circles at very low altitude, scaring the population with their loud roaring engines. To complete their demonstration, they flew through the sound barrier. The fear was all around after that. Then we heard that the Russian ships had left Maestros and were on their way to Izmir. Expected arrival: the next day in the early morning. Their arrival in Brol would be the next day at dusk. The rest of the day went by quietly, but for Chaos came another night full of worries.

In the morning I wanted to get some food before going to work, but the access to the shop, in the direction of the Saint George’s Quarter, was blocked by a barricade. Behind the barricade stood a French warrant officer, which I already knew from the time with Jérôme. I asked him what was going on, but he could only say that for the time being, no one was allowed to pass. I still insisted (he knew me anyway), but he said it may not be safe in the streets, because there were some troublemakers which had put some trash on fire.
“I am sorry, Luisa.” While looking to his colleague: “d’Artois was very firm on that, isn’t it?”
Immediately, I was alarmed.
“d’Artois? Who is that?” I replied.
“Our new lieutenant, fresh from Draguignan! A though guy! Un type dur! A real fire-eater!”
“What is his name? His given name?”
“His given name? What is like? Robert, I believe.” The warrant officer said.
“Where is he?”
“Somewhere in town now! I don’t know exactly where. Do you know him, Luisa?”
“Maybe.”

Milos was absent from work without notification. That was absolutely not his habit. I could not concentrate on my work, because I was all the time distracted by ‘my’ mountain in the distance, as well as by all sorts of thoughts that kept troubling my mind. About Smyrna and her detonators. Meanwhile, around me, there was a lot of talking about the Russian ships, which were underway to Brol. Someone had a radio, and we followed the news closely. The ships had briefly anchored at Izmir and now they had already past Mesta. They were on schedule this time. Their arrival in Brol was planned at dusk! It was said this meant that they simply would sail to Brol. No one starts an invasion at dusk! And there was also that Lieutenant d'Artois! Fresh from Draguignan, the Royal Infantry School! A young lieutenant! He must have been around twenty-two! Could that be…? Imagine! My oldest son, assigned here on Chaos as an army officer? I had to find it out as soon as possible!

I could not wait. I sacrificed my lunch break to go to the French guard building in town, where the headquarters of the French detachment that guarded the port and in Chaos city was housed. As a French subject, I had the right to access to French military installations. I had made regularly use of that right in the time with Jérôme. But now I was denied access. It turned out, as I was told, that this right only existed in 'la France métropolitaine'. The area under the French Crown and only north of the Pyrenees. In the past, I had used that right on Chaos indeed, but actually it did not apply on foreign territory. So, I asked if it would be possible to speak Lieutenant. d'Artois, but they told me he was busy. But then suddenly an officer entered the guardhouse.

"Qu’est-ce qu’il-y-a?” he asked.
He was not particularly tall, he had a wide shouldered stature, a massive, round, robust head with a fine mustache, and with crew cut hair. He had a very angry-like authoritarian and determined look, voice and attitude. On the nameplate on his chest, I read 'd' Artois '.
“This lady wants to see you, lieutenant.”
“Désolé, Madame, but I have no time! Sergeant, give me the roster of the guard for tonight! We shall have to add a few more to it!”
“Oui, Mon Lieutenant!”

He had no time for me! But I stayed for a moment, hoping he would, albeit briefly, change is mind. But after checking and adding that list, he looked at me with a look of 'are you still here?' It obviously had no meaning to insist. I left the guardhouse and remained hanging around some time outside the gate. Moments later the lieutenant came back out again. He looked at me for a moment, and then he marched on. Was that man Robert, my Robert, my son, once my little boy? The toddler I had left behind in Cour-Cheverny many years ago? I had not noticed physical resemblances with his father (?), Robert senior, probably due to his military appearance. Or was his name just a coincidence? That afternoon would neither be my most productive day ever. Particularly, because there was still something else that had troubled me around the French guard post. As soon as I got time, I went to see Smyrna again.

I told her what Olga had said about how the Russians acted. Smyrna remarked that I had to make no illusions that the armies of the Sultan would do differently. They simply did all in once: invading, looting, raping, murdering and bringing the survivors into slavery. Leaving only their own people unharmed. And their ‘own people’' were already standing up in Chaos, Smyrna feared, referring to the people with Ottoman flags we had seen near the Saint Georges’ Gate. At least, if the Government of the island itself would not abuse any riots to remove undesired people from the streets. She feared for herself, because of her sympathy for the Greek nationalism, which was also a threat to the powers ruling the island.

Then I tried to get out of her some information about the plans of the Hellenic Dawn, by suggesting her I would agree to help her, as she had asked me.
“Smyrna! Has the Hellenic Dawn plans to attack public buildings?”
“Maybe!”
“And barracks of foreign troups!”
“They might be targets as well! After all, they occupy historical Greek territory!”
“Before you start bombing public buildings, Smyrna, may I remind you I am working in one too!?”

Actually, I hoped that Smyrna and that stupid Hellenic Dawn had no real plans to strike on Chaos. One could be at the wrong place at the wrong moments, But there was more risk on hard targets. One hard target, I realized, was the Governor’s Palace, where I was at work. Not a pleasant feeling. Another one, was the military, the French military, including that Lieutenant d’Artois! I could not let happen such things, at least not without being sure of his identity! I would have to approach Smyrna and at least pretend to be helpful, in order to obtain information and dissuade her from committing stupidities.
I had already noticed the French barracks where I had met Lieutenant d’Artois were staked out by strange people. In Illyria they had learned me to be aware of such activities! Spies, certainly! Or terrorists from the Hellenic Dawn preparing an attack?

Reluctantly, I decided to help Smyrna.

(to be continued)

“Stop dreaming, Luisa!”

“Pute Alsacienne!”
“Calling me an Alsacian whore!? Are you doubting my honour, Lieutenant!?”
“I know your kind of women!”

At first sight, it looked like a lipstick. Then I saw it was a detonator!

"What is she doing here!?" It clearly angered him to see me entering the meeting. He was all but pleased as he learned I worked on the management floor now.

Unbelievable! She vanishes for days and then shows up at the most inappropriate moment!

“Before you start bombing public buildings, may I remind you I am working in one too!?”

“I want to have a word with you about the murder of a French officer!”

“Smyrna! Did your mother never warn you against going along with strange men!?”

“You know how it is with the Ottomans! If they are in a nice mood, they drown you, if they are normal, they behead you with a pocket knife, and if they are cruel, the crucify you!”

Through a cloud of smoke and dust, the full moon face vanished with a grimace of pain.

As I realized what I had done, all I could say was “Merde!”
“Merde!” He replied.

“My God, Luisa, what have you done!? Such a carnage!”
“What’s wrong with saying ‘thanks for rescuing me!?”

“Madame, I have nothing to explain to you about whom I am!” he replied.

There is someone on this island who knows my true identity!

A leap in time. Aurore is now living for many years on Chaos, as Luisa Schneider. She has fully adapted to life on the island. She feels safe and free and the political games she has been involved in, are a long ago memory. But then, a crisis breaks out. It brings her past to Chaos, in a way she had never anticipated. It becomes a threat, a dilemma and an enigma! Soon, she will have to look back over her shoulder to survive!

Coming up! Queen of Chaos part 3!:attention:
After reading Chapter 19 I think I'm starting to understand this post, brilliant!

Part 3 – episode 20

Evening was falling. There she was : Maryszkà! Maryszkà was a slim brunette with sinewy legs and arms. She had her hair just down to the neck. As I saw her approaching, I noticed Maryszkà was clearly too beautiful to be wasted in a Polish convent. She had a little bit introvert and retired character, but she could be very firm when things did not like her. By moments she was difficult to approach and she had something mysterious, as if she was hidings things. But now she was all smiling from the moment she had spotted me. Actually, I had to admit, from my four friends, she was the one who, how should I say, brought up some special feelings. It’s difficult to explain. More ‘attraction’ than pure friendship. Difficult to explain from my traditional conservative Christian education, where such thoughts were either not spoken about, or deemed and sanctioned as a deadly sin.

Along with many others, Maryszkà and me went to the west of the city, to see what would happen. We went through the Saint Andrew's Gate. We crossed the ring way around the city, along which already dozens of cars had been parked, and where more onlookers arrived. Then we climbed the hill of the Acropolis, a height with a view over the vicinity of Chaos City from coast to coast. In the west, above the mountainous Ottoman coast, the sun slowly lowered towards the horizon, gradually becoming redder. Her red light reflected in the blue-gray sea as a mysteriously rippling purple surface. The air above the grey mountains in the distance glowed. There was hardly any wind. And the crowd, hundreds of people, remained silent. Hardly anyone talked. Hundreds of people, looking out for the arrival of the Russian flotilla, anxious about what might come next. In the distance passed a lonely freighter. Closer to the coast of Chaos lay four frigates. One French, one of the Holy Roman Empire, one of Naples-Sicily and one English. They navigated separately, so that their presence would not look threatening.

And then they appeared in the distance, under the setting sun. Five ships sailing in a line. The Russian flotilla was in sight. Two cruisers and three corvettes. Their black silhouettes stood sharp against the horizon under the slowly setting red sun. This was not a war formation, someone in the crowd noticed, as they were sailing in a line. In a combat formation the corvettes would have protected the sides of the frigates, and there would have been destroyers too as extra protection.

When the flotilla approached, it became quiet, eerily quiet. The wind was all down and even the sea made no more noise. The ships slowly passed by in the distance, right along the navigation route. While the Sun was setting, they slowly faded away. Five small grey shadows that merged into the grey coast and the falling night. The sea and the coast in the distance became grayer and grayer. In the last sunlight we saw them turning to their port and entering the access channel to Brol. Then they disappeared one by one behind the cape behind which lay the port of Brol. It was meanwhile almost dark and everyone went back to the city. Relieved that nothing had happened, but still anxious for what could come the next days. Would they dare to do something in the course of the night? Together with the army of the Sultan? We had to be confident that the safety of the island was in good hands. But in the meantime we saw along the way, many soldiers taking guard in the city. It seemed rather as if the enemy was already on the island.

Maryszkà seemed as impressed as I was by the arrival of the Russian ships. As if we possibly had witnessed some historical events. And the fear that we could shortly have to undergo that historical event. In the city, it was very busy and restless. Actually I wanted to tell Maryszkà about that Lieutenant d'Artois. But then I could have revealed my past. Not now! I had so far limited my story to problems with the French police, for the sake of my Alsacian identity. Of the real story she knew nothing at all. Maryszkà no longer wanted to remain in the streets. We bought a bread and cheese and a bottle of red and white wine and then we went to my studio, Maryszkà stayed the whole night with me.

I woke up the first morning light. Maryszkà still slept. I looked at her and was wondering how she actually did that, keeping her skin so fresh. She was anyway the over thirty. I slowly tried to reconstruct everything from the previous evening. The answer was on the table, as two empty wine bottles. The answer was also partly in my head, as a slight headache. Then I remembered the arrival of the Russian ships in Brol, and I found that out on the first sight everything seemed quiet outside. No explosions, no warplanes flying over. No alert sirens. The invasion had apparently not yet started. The next thing that came up to me was Lieutenant d'Artois. And the dilemma I was facing. Even more dangerous than talk about him with my girlfriends, would be a direct confrontation with him, because then I risked to reveal whom I was. Could I approach him directly, initially without revealing or betraying my identity? By pretending that I had known his mother? Would I be able to master my emotions, if he would turn out to be my son? Did I risk an inquiry about my past, especially in these exciting times?

Maryszkà had meanwhile woken up. She rugged against my back and put her arm over my shoulder. I let her do.
"Did we drink all the wine?" she asked
"I am afraid we did!."
"Both bottles?"
"Indeed!"
"Oh dear, we have once again let ourselves go. But right, now we still can. "
"Are you afraid of an invasion?"
"I'm afraid of everything. For the sultan, then everyone should be afraid of the Ottomans. If the Russians would come all Russian refugees should be afraid, and all Polish too, because the Tsar considers Poland as a part of Russia’s historical territory. Each Polish subject is a suspect for them, loyal to the King of Poland or not. And if no one would come, then everyone residing on this island who has problems with his government at home could still be considered as a suspect! So! "
"What kind of problems did you had in Poland?"
"Well, after running away from the convent, I joined some friends. We started reading bad books!”
“Bad books, such as…?”
“We read Montesquieu. And we dreamed to bring his ideas into practice! A very heavy thought crime in Poland, like everywhere in Europe, by the way!"
"Who, you say?"
"Montesquieu, Charles de Montesquieu!”
“Never heard of.”
“Come on, you don’t know him? Typical! You come from France, you have a degree in Governance Sciences, but you've never heard of Montesquieu! "
"No!? Should I?"
"Montesquieu was a Frenchman, who, in the beginning of the eighteenth century has written books about state governance. There were two things crucial in his model of governance."
"Which ones?"
"First of all, the principle of the separation of powers. In a state, power should be divided between the legislative, which makes the laws, the executive, bringing them into in practice and justice. All three operate independently from each other. "
"Isn’t that the case now? We have parliaments, like the Estates General, or the Cortez, and we have justice courts "
"No, it is in fact still the King who is the executive power, but meanwhile decides about law making too. Only for certain, well established decisions he must obtain the approval of Parliament. But such an estate parliament is crowded with people appointed by the king, or by a network of peers loyal to the king. Ditto for the courts. The King can still recommend to lock up a person, and force judges to condemn someone, or he can undo a judgment."
"That is true, but it has always been like that? At the Sorbonne, the system was praised for its efficiency! It works, right?"
"Indeed, but the vision of Montesquieu outlined a society in which those three independent powers would protect the ordinary citizen against the arbitrariness of the King and the State."
"Yes, I get it, but it appears to me something difficult to achieve? There will be a lot of opposition against it, because many fractions will have to give up their power."
"Is correct, and I have personally encountered that kind of opposition in Poland, where such ideas are certainly not welcomed by the King, the nobility and the church. And that other idea of Montesquieu and his contemporaries even less. "
"Which idea?"
"Separation of Church and State. Imagine! In Poland! Unthinkable! Neither elsewhere in Europe, by the way. "
"I can imagine! In France, in the whole Franco-Iberian Union, it would be no different. Now I understand why this,.. What was his name again? "
"Montesquieu!" "
“Now I understand why his writings are not familiar to me! Hola! With such ideas, the d’Archambaults would throw you for less into the Bastille. Also the Artois, by the way! "
"The who?"
"The Artois, some branch of the Capets, which makes claims to the throne." (be careful not betray myself!).
"À propos, Luisa, now I see you here anyway? I wonder for a long time already? How can you keep your body so tight and slim, and your skin so fresh? "
"I just wanted to ask you that too!"

I have not yet told you that, in my own time I worked for a public official who held a similar function as a notary public in France. He was not only a public official, but he also traded real estate. He had hired me to guide foreigners interested in acquiring real estate on the island, and to show them around in properties for sale. In case of a sale, I was also asked to prepare the official documents. Despite the political crisis, potential buyers still showed up anyway, although I had the impression that they were speculators who were looking forward to good deals in this uncertain period. The office of the notary lay somewhere in the Diplomatic Quarter, where it was always less hectic. The whole day we heard nothing about the crisis. It seemed that it would all calm down. The day went by quickly and I barely thought of anything but the busy work. I wondered what Pavlos would have to tell about what is going on in Brol and about what he would have seen there.

And then that incredible coincidence struck. The notary’s own Office room was decorated with heavy antique wooden furniture. I needed to consult a file. But he was briefly out to find documents. While waiting I, went to his library, to look if titles had been added. It was full of reference books, books on real estate, or on general legal theory, in Greek, in French or in German. He had once allowed me to consult them, whenever I considered it necessary. And then, my eye caught the back of a book, that I probably had overlooked dozens of times, or dismissed it, since what interesting could be in an eighteenth century treatise on law? Among all these books on law stood : ‘L'Esprit des Lois’, written by a certain Charles de Montesquieu.

When I left the office and returned to my studio, I noticed that there was still a lot of control in the city. Imagine, they would check me with Montesquieu in my bag. Would I get into trouble? The next night I exceptional stayed on my own. But that night, I read l'Esprit des Lois in one time. Maryszkà was right. In that book, the blueprint was developed for a society that would fit present times.

But it would take a huge effort to get society so far. Nothing less than a revolution. The King of France. The Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire. The King of Poland. The King of Naples and Sicily and Piedmont-Sardinia. The King of England. The King of Hungary. The Pope. Not to mention the Tsar and the Sultan. All would resist that kind of reform, with the support of their nobility, and their loyal armies and police forces, and their judges which pretended speaking justice, but in fact execute blindly the orders of the King, all in Exchange for privileges and protection.

How to come to that society envisaged by Montesquieu? By means of politics? Ultimately, the power of the European monarchs had already been strongly restricted in the course of the last two centuries, due to the industrialization, under pressure of a new money nobility, whose politics had been in turn to protect its own private interests. That money nobility has always represented its own achievements as a liberation from the yoke of absolutism. That was partly correct, since the sharpest edges of the absolute power of the monarchs had been removed. In France, the Estates-General, once set aside by Louis XIV, had been reinstalled under Charles XI. Since then, the King had to ask the permission to the Estates-General to raise taxes or to declare war, for example. The King stood no longer entirely above the law. He also had less control over appointments in the Church and in the justice courts. However, the Estates-General still voted by estate as a group, but the Third Estate, which mainly represented the industrial middle class, had obtained that after every vote, the estates had to prove that there vote was based on an internal majority. Nevertheless, the Third Estate mostly still took a 2-1 minority position, despite the fact that they had the same number of representatives as the other two together. But the system of the required internal majority, sometimes allowed the Third Estate to put pressure on representatives of the other estates.

Montesquieu, Maryszkà had said, was the way to real democracy. Democracy was about equal rights for all. I had learned about Democracy at the Sorbonne, during lectures about the political system of ancient Greece. But my lecturers had warned us that in our modern, complex industrial society, representative democracy, based on a mandate due general elections, would be very costly and cumbersome to run and would hamper progress, because society would get bogged down by endless discussions. It was a utopic ideal that in practice only had a chance to work in a rural society whose economy ran on slave labor, something our modern civilized world obviously rejected. Some lecturers even had claimed that modern society already suffered from the conflicts of interests in the Estates-General, and by the fact that the Third Estate was corrupted by the private interests of the wealthy business owners.

Years ago, in Illyria, some people had tried to convince me that tyrants could only defeated by force. At the end, that statement became a doctrine that would justify everything, any purpose, any kind of violence. Even any violence against innocent civilians, some had argued, back there in Illyria. Only terror could fight tyranny, reinforcing the tyranny, to become so tyrannical that it would be unbearable for ordinary people, forcing them at the side of the insurgents. But would the Illyrian nationalist ever consider to install democracy, suppose they would achieve their targets?. Separation of powers? Individual rights? No! An absolute State dictated by nationalist doctrines, that’s what the Illyrian movement stood for.

Does the goal justify the means? Or did one have to stick to the road of the soft resistance?

The next morning I had the greatest difficulty to get up. Apparently it was again quiet in Chaos, but in the course of the day disturbing rumours came up. During the night, a flotilla of the fleet of the sultan had entered the port of Brol. Four or five ships, they said. While those Russian ships were still there. In addition, the no-fly zone over Brol was prolonged, and the port of Brol was closed to all shipping for an undetermined time. Pavlos was still in Brol. I was worried about Pavlos. Although at first I was planning only to stay on my own that evening, I suddenly got annoyed. The situation in Brol worried me more and more.

(to be continued)

Back
Top Bottom