Raising the Cross - Which Way?

Which method of Crucifixion arouses the sense more?

• Total voters
Go to CruxDreams.com
I remember I signed a contract with J.L. before I was crucified...I don't remember everything that was in it
but it did say tat I was to be payed $50.000

Subject change, sorry.

Always considering methods that were practical & easy for crucifixions, I have been interested in this way since I saw this picture long ago.

It would be so much easier not to haul struggling & kicking victims nailed to the crossbar up to locate the mortices & tenons on top of the upright timber, or to raise a complete cross up from the base with the victim nailed wrists & feet to it (at least no kicking & struggling there). So getting the victim to use their own effort to go up the cross on a ladder seems very practical.

Imagine as well the ordeal of being stripped at the foot of the ladder surrounded & somewhat hidden amongst guards, executing squad etc. to then be made to ascend the ladder. Up up you climb knowing that with every step you are coming more & more in full view of the watching crowd, aware that your naked back & buttocks are exposed to full view.

Then at the top you are ordered to turn round to display your full-frontal nakedness to the crowd. Your arms are pulled up and held against the crossbar, your wrists nailed to the wood.

Then viciously the ladder you are standing on is pulled away. You drop (note the height difference between the rung Christ is standing on & the block his feet will be nailed to, a nasty drop!) your arms most likely dislocating at the shoulders. Then your feet or ankles nailed to fix you in the final pose.

Seems like a rather good way of doing the job!

Attachments

• Crux method.jpg
    Crux method.jpg
    472.1 KB · Views: 1,065
Subject change, sorry.

Always considering methods that were practical & easy for crucifixions, I have been interested in this way since I saw this picture long ago.

It would be so much easier not to haul struggling & kicking victims nailed to the crossbar up to locate the mortices & tenons on top of the upright timber, or to raise a complete cross up from the base with the victim nailed wrists & feet to it (at least no kicking & struggling there). So getting the victim to use their own effort to go up the cross on a ladder seems very practical.

Imagine as well the ordeal of being stripped at the foot of the ladder surrounded & somewhat hidden amongst guards, executing squad etc. to then be made to ascend the ladder. Up up you climb knowing that with every step you are coming more & more in full view of the watching crowd, aware that your naked back & buttocks are exposed to full view.

Then at the top you are ordered to turn round to display your full-frontal nakedness to the crowd. Your arms are pulled up and held against the crossbar, your wrists nailed to the wood.

Then viciously the ladder you are standing on is pulled away. You drop (note the height difference between the rung Christ is standing on & the block his feet will be nailed to, a nasty drop!) your arms most likely dislocating at the shoulders. Then your feet or ankles nailed to fix you in the final pose.

Seems like a rather good way of doing the job!
I would need a lot of persuading to go up that ladder. :eek:

I would need a lot of persuading to go up that ladder. :eek:
You mean the ones the executioners have to get up?
I agree, they're taking serious H&S risks,
the one on the right isn't even wearing a hard hat or safety boots.
The guy in the middle? Oh well, he can walk on water,
climbing a ladder backward's just a doddle. :p

You mean the ones the executioners have to get up?
I agree, they're taking serious H&S risks,
the one on the right isn't even wearing a hard hat or safety boots.
The guy in the middle? Oh well, he can walk on water,
climbing a ladder backward's just a doddle. :p

Which is why if Rome had OSHA crucifixions would have been run a la Yusseby.

Attachments

• CB6F7C84-8B2E-4A5B-A122-0CA72DC5EAF6.gif
    CB6F7C84-8B2E-4A5B-A122-0CA72DC5EAF6.gif
    75.3 KB · Views: 1,032
  • 4045413A-96E8-4887-BC01-7A5EA5E8C2DD.gif
    4045413A-96E8-4887-BC01-7A5EA5E8C2DD.gif
    62.3 KB · Views: 1,021
Back
Top Bottom