Rebecca and The Bloody Codes

Go to CruxDreams.com

Praefectus Praetorio

R.I.P. Brother of the Quill
In a shameless display of self-promotion, I am posting some teasers for my next story. I've written about one-third. Therefore, it may be a little while before the whole story comes out. But I will post a prologue and maybe a few chapters to whet your appetites and wet your mouths! I hope all enjoy

The Black Act 1723, officially “An Act for the more effectual punishing wicked and evil disposed Persons going armed in Disguise and doing Injuries and Violence to the Persons and Properties of His Majesty's Subject, and for the more speedy bringing the Offenders to Justice,” was passed in response to increased crime and social unrest in the United Kingdom after the collapse of the South Sea Bubble in 1720. When the act went into effect on May 27, 1723, it listed over 200 crimes that carried the death penalty. The death penalty in those days applied to any theft, including shoplifting, that valued at 12 pence or more (£5.90 in 2019). For this reason, the criminal code of that era in England are often called The Bloody Codes. One of the most notorious judges enforcing the act was Sir Francis Page. His coarseness and cruelty earned him a reputation as ‘the hanging judge’, and the singular distinction of being satirized by Pope, Fielding, Hogarth, Dr Johnson and the poet Richard Savage

In a shameless display of self-promotion, I am posting some teasers for my next story. I've written about one-third. Therefore, it may be a little while before the whole story comes out. But I will post a prologue and maybe a few chapters to whet your appetites and wet your mouths! I hope all enjoy
Nothing wrong with shameless self promotion!

Hopefully there are some "minor" crimes committed that only warrant a public whipping.
Public whippings are such a waste when you can charge 10d up to two shilling sixpence (1723 value) for a seat at private whipping.

Last edited:
Ever tried modest self-promotion? :D

That was half a crown in them days I think - about £50 in modern money,
so I'd think you'd get a super seat for that, maybe other bonuses
before, during and after the girl's been whipped! :azote:
You seem to be getting a good idea of what the story might involve. I first had the idea for plot and the setting over a year ago when I was reading history of the period. I intend a rigorously correct retelling of an actual story.

The Black Act 1723, officially “An Act for the more effectual punishing wicked and evil disposed Persons going armed in Disguise and doing Injuries and Violence to the Persons and Properties of His Majesty's Subject, and for the more speedy bringing the Offenders to Justice,” was passed in response to increased crime and social unrest in the United Kingdom after the collapse of the South Sea Bubble in 1720. When the act went into effect on May 27, 1723, it listed over 200 crimes that carried the death penalty. The death penalty in those days applied to any theft, including shoplifting, that valued at 12 pence or more (£5.90 in 2019). For this reason, the criminal code of that era in England are often called The Bloody Codes. One of the most notorious judges enforcing the act was Sir Francis Page. His coarseness and cruelty earned him a reputation as ‘the hanging judge’, and the singular distinction of being satirized by Pope, Fielding, Hogarth, Dr Johnson and the poet Richard Savage
Interestingly, Fielding himself was a magistrate and was responsible for sending many ladies of easy virtue to the Bridewell for a spot of correction.

Interestingly, Fielding himself was a magistrate and was responsible for sending many ladies of easy virtue to the Bridewell for a spot of correction.
Richard Savage, was tried for murder before Justice Page. Page, was not impressed by the defense, and in a speech filled with sarcastic comments made it clear to the jury what verdict he was expected to see delivered. They complied, finding him guilty of murder and Page sentenced him to death. Savage's friends petitioned for a Royal pardon and obtained the support of the Countess of Hertford, who appealed to Queen Caroline. She in turn convinced the king.

In revenge to the Judge, Savage penned a biting poem:

Of heart impure and impotent of head,
In history, rhetoric, ethics, law unread;
How far unlike such worthies, once a drudge –
From floundering in law causes – rose a judge;
Formed to make pleaders laugh, his nonsense thunders,
And on low juries breathes contagious blunders;
His brothers blush, because no blush he knows,
Nor e’er one uncorrupted finger shows.

This is the story of a Kentish country girl in London in 1723, caught up in poverty, desperation, and the corruption of the criminal justice system. It is an accurate telling of an historical incident. The only fact changed is Rebecca’s name to shield her family from the shame of her unjust and horrible fate. As with true history, please do not rely on a happy ending.
  • Your Brother of the Quill

This is the story of a Kentish country girl in London in 1723, caught up in poverty, desperation, and the corruption of the criminal justice system.
Sir, 'twas an age of fine, upstanding Gentlemen and lascivious, debauched reprobates of cuntry country girls who deserved to have the full force of our just and lenient Laws expended on their worthless, depraved, debased Bodies. I trust, Sir, that you do not intend to perpetuate the most malicious Calumny now prevalent in our degraded times that slurs the honour of Justices and Magistrates who strove to do what was right, always within their strict and noble moral codes. If the slut received punishment, let none doubt that she must, most egregiously, have deserved every second of her fitting sentence(s).

please do not rely on a happy ending
I will thank you, SIR, not to insult us with loose talk of nonsensical 'happy endings' for wretched whores.

Yours in exasperation
Migoz2, Master of the Rope

Post-scriptum
I prithee, Sir, to investigate the innovation of the German Mathematician, Daniel Schwenter, whereby he has invented an alternative to your rudimentary quill, which shall surely prove to be the future of Writing Technology (I believe our estimable erstwhile Administrator, Samuel Pepys, was aware of this device).

Sir, 'twas an age of fine, upstanding Gentlemen and lascivious, debauched reprobates of cuntry country girls who deserved to have the full force of our just and lenient Laws expended on their worthless, depraved, debased Bodies. I trust, Sir, that you do not intend to perpetuate the most malicious Calumny now prevalent in our degraded times that slurs the honour of Justices and Magistrates who strove to do what was right, always within their strict and noble moral codes. If the slut received punishment, let none doubt that she must, most egregiously, have deserved every second of her fitting sentence(s).

I will thank you, SIR, not to insult us with loose talk of nonsensical 'happy endings' for wretched whores.

Yours in exasperation
Migoz2, Master of the Rope

Post-scriptum
I prithee, Sir, to investigate the innovation of the German Mathematician, Daniel Schwenter, whereby he has invented an alternative to your rudimentary quill, which shall surely prove to be the future of Writing Technology (I believe our estimable erstwhile Administrator, Samuel Pepys, was aware of this device).
I am appropriately chastened. My new signature is taken from common 1740's slang for an author. Please don't take me for an Addle Pate (an inconsiderate foolish fellow) and I will excuse your role as a Beard Splitter (a man much given to wenching).

In 1732, the artist William Hogarth produced a set of 6 painting/etchings. They told a story, titled "A Harlot's Progress" (a take of on the very popular moral/religious book, John Bunyan's "Pilgrim's Progress"). After painting a prostitute in her boudoir in a garret on Drury Lane, Hogarth struck upon the idea of creating scenes from her earlier and later life.
Plate 1 The protagonist, Moll Hackabout, has arrived in London's Cheapside. Moll carries scissors and a pincushion hanging on her arm, suggesting that she sought employment as a seamstress. Instead, she is being inspected by the pox-ridden Elizabeth Needham, a notorious procuress and brothel-keeper. A goose in Moll's luggage is addressed to "My lofing cosen in Tems Stret in London": suggesting that she has been misled; this "cousin" might have been a recruiter or a paid-off dupe of the bawdy keepers.
1.jpg
Plate 2 Moll is now the mistress of a wealthy Jewish merchant, as is confirmed by the Old Testament paintings in the background which have been considered to be prophetic of how the merchant will treat Moll in between this plate and the third plate. She has numerous affectations of dress and accompaniment, as she keeps a West Indian serving boy and a monkey. The boy and the young female servant, as well as the monkey, may be provided by the businessman. She has jars of cosmetics, a mask from masquerades, and her apartment is decorated with paintings illustrating her sexually promiscuous and morally precarious state. She pushes over a table to distract the merchant's attention as a second lover tiptoes out.
2.jpg
Plate 3 Moll has gone from kept woman to common prostitute. Her maid is now old and syphilitic. Her bed is her only major piece of furniture. The witch hat and birch rods on the wall suggest either black magic, or more importantly that prostitution is the devil's work. Her heroes are on the wall: Macheath from The Beggar's Opera and Henry Sacheverell, and two cures for syphilis are above them. The magistrate, Sir John Gonson, with three armed bailiffs, is coming through the door on the right side of the frame to arrest Moll for her activities. Moll is showing off a new watch (perhaps stolen from another lover) and exposing her left breast. Gonson, however, is fixed upon the witch's hat and 'broom' from the wall above Moll's bed
3.jpg
Plate 4 Moll is in Bridewell Prison. She beats hemp for hangman's nooses, while the jailer threatens her and points to the task. The jailer's wife steals clothes from Moll, winking at theft. The prisoners go from left to right in order of decreasing wealth.
4.jpg
Plate 5
Moll is now dying of syphilis. Dr. Richard Rock on the left (black hair) and Dr. Jean Misaubin on the right (white hair) argue over their medical methods. A woman, possibly Moll's bawd and possibly the landlady, rifles Moll's possessions for what she wishes to take away.
Meanwhile, Moll's maid tries to stop the looting and arguing. Moll's son sits by the fire, possibly addled by his mother's venereal disease. He is picking lice or fleas out of his hair.
5.jpg
Plate 6 In the final plate, Moll is dead, and all of the scavengers are present at her wake. A note on the coffin lid shows that she died aged 23 on 2 September 1731. The parson spills his brandy as he has his hand up the skirt of the girl next to him, and she appears pleased. A woman who has placed drinks on Moll's coffin looks on in disapproval. Moll's son plays ignorantly. Moll's son is innocent, but he sits playing with his top underneath his mother's body, unable to understand (and figuratively fated to death himself).
6.jpg

Note, based on Moll's son's age, Moll must have come to London about eight years earlier at age 15, in the same year our heroine, Rebecca comes. Just so you know I won't be making this stuff up.

Last edited:
Plate 1 The protagonist, Moll Hackabout, has arrived in London's Cheapside. Moll carries scissors and a pincushion hanging on her arm, suggesting that she sought employment as a seamstress. Instead, she is being inspected by the pox-ridden Elizabeth Needham, a notorious procuress and brothel-keeper. A goose in Moll's luggage is addressed to "My lofing cosen in Tems Stret in London": suggesting that she has been misled; this "cousin" might have been a recruiter or a paid-off dupe of the bawdy keepers.
Nice post!

Seamstresses were often on the point of prostitution, and I am sure, PrPr, that you will know that the word itself became a euphemism for a prostitute (and, indeed, came to be used on census forms in the next century to cover up the real work that was being undertaken). In Fanny Hill, the brothel in which the heroine finds herself disguises itself as a millinery shop. I suspect Hogarth might have been signalling this to his knowing audience.

Back
Top Bottom