Rebecca and The Bloody Codes

Go to CruxDreams.com
The phrase "Some (fresh) air and exercise will do you good" takes on an entirely new meaning ;)
Slang used in Chapter 15

Anatomy – a skinny person
Apple Dumpling Shop - a woman's bosom
Air and Exercise - a flogging at the cart's tail

Let's see..."I'd love to see a young female anatomy displaying her apple dumpling shop while she gets a good dose of air and exercise".

The phrase "Some (fresh) air and exercise will do you good" takes on an entirely new meaning ;)
So True!. Many slang terms are imaginative and poetic, but I find so many of the 18th C ones very funny. Unfortunately only a few fit the story (and I don't want to bog down the writing with too many)

DEATH'S HEAD UPON A MOP-STICK - “A poor, miserable, emaciated fellow."
DUKE OF LIMBS - “A tall, awkward, ill-made fellow.”
FUSSOCK - "A lazy fat woman"
LOBCOCK - “A large relaxed penis, also a dull inanimate fellow.”
Flats and sharps – weapons
Foul a plate - dine with someone
Cry roast meat - boast of one's good fortune

So True!. Many slang terms are imaginative and poetic, but I find so many of the 18th C ones very funny. Unfortunately only a few fit the story (and I don't want to bog down the writing with too many)

DUKE OF LIMBS - “A tall, awkward, ill-made fellow.”
FUSSOCK - "A lazy fat woman"
LOBCOCK - “A large relaxed penis, also a dull inanimate fellow.”
Flats and sharps – weapons
Foul a plate - dine with someone
Cry roast meat - boast of one's good fortune

Love that first one!

Chapter 16 Rebecca Strips Down

Breaker, Fair, and Spite all sat in rapt attention as Rebecca began to reluctantly undress.

She first untied the ribbons holding on her demure white linen cap. Then loosening her hair, she let the auburn curls fall. The men admired the reddish-brown locks of her silky young hair as it fell to her shoulders.

She removed the pins holding together the front of her blue gown. As she shed it from her shoulders, she was careful not to damage further the torn left sleeve. After all, these were still the only clothes she owned.

Rebecca looked around uncertainly for where to lay her gown. Allen pointed to Spite. The assistant took the gown and held it folded on his lap without taking his eyes for a moment from the girl.

Rebecca pulled the ends of her neckerchief from the front of her stays and handed it to Spite. Her upper chest and neck and some of her shoulders were now exposed.

“She’s been christened by a baker, ain’t she,” said Spite, admiring that the light freckles on her nose were repeated on her chest. Allen waved him quiet, but smiled and approved the sentiment. The freckles seemed to emphasize Rebecca’s youth and innocence.

Blushing deeply, the girl reached down to untie the strings of her petticoat. The dark blue fabric loosened and was handed over to the assistant.

Rebecca stood up and began to undo the laces on her stays. Soon, the mid-body garment was free and handed over.

The pretty young country girl now stood in just her linen shift. Though it was loose and fell almost to her knees, it was thin enough to clearly hint at the figure underneath. Allen observed with pleasure that the stays had not really been necessary to support her firm bosom.

Rebecca sat in the other chair to remove her shoes and knit stockings. This had, of course, waited until after she’d removed her stays since she wouldn’t have been able to reach that low with the constriction.

Tears rolling down her cheeks, the 18-year-old stood up wearing just her thin shift before these two strange men. In her entire life only her mother and sisters had ever seen Rebecca naked.

Reaching down the side, she pulled the shift up to her thighs. Then, giving a sign of humiliation, she lifted it up over her head and peeled it off. Handing it to Spite, she stood naked, her arms over her breasts and cunt.

“Owen, take those clothes and give them to Mistress Bly to store safely. Tell her to come here as soon as that’s done.” The assistant left with the pile of clothes, leaving Rebecca alone with the keeper and the lawyer.

“Move your arms to your side.” The girl obeyed. Allen liked what he saw very much. Her red-brown hair was replicated at her crotch. Her skin was a lovely fair white with a few freckles on her chest and shoulders. Her breasts were of medium size, firm and high. The aureoles were small and capped with coral nipples, erect from cold and fear. Rebecca’s waist was very small. In an era when stays were gradually becoming tighter to achieve more and more fashionably small waists, Rebecca had one naturally. A slightly convex tummy with a deep, sexy navel at the center, held his attention for some time. But Breaker’s eyes inevitably were drawn to her furred cunt between shapely thighs.

“Turn around.” She did and a curvy round ass appeared. While she was facing away, he adjusted the painful bulge in his trousers. Mr. Fair said nothing. He was hardly breathing. The two men were anxious to sample the pleasures of this sexy girl. But they knew they would have to allow the Owners to enjoy her first. But they also knew, they would be allowed to use her later for whatever they pleased.

“Face us.” Rebecca did as she was told. She hated every moment of this, but if obedience could save her life, she would obey.

Spread your feet apart a yard.” He tested her compliance. “And lock your arms behind your neck.” She did as told, presenting her nubile body shamelessly for inspection.

Just then a large, mature woman with a great bulk of petticoats entered.

“Oh my, Mr. Breaker!” she exclaimed. “This one’s quite the looker, ain’t she?”

“Indeed, Mistress Bly. Indeed.” His voice sounding a little forced.

“You may take her and get her settled in. The owners come in a few hours to see her. And you need to get her new clothes together for the party tomorrow.”

“Right you are, Mr. Breaker.” Bly turned to Rebecca and handed her a gown to wrap herself in. “Come along, girl, Dorcas Bly will take good care of you.”

We say 'a ruckle o banes' - as in the lovely 19th century sales jingle -
'Puir wee Jenny's gettin awfu thin,
A ruckle o banes covered owr wi skin -
Noo she's gettin a wee double chin
Frae sookin Coulter's Candy!'

chorus: 'Ally-bally, ally bally bee,
Sittin on yer mammie's knee
Greetin fer anither bawbee
Tae buy mair Coulter's Candy.'

Last edited:
Anatomy – a skinny person
Sometimes, the 'an' was taken to be the indefinite article,
so the word was reduced to 'atomy',
e.g. in Shakespeare, Henry IV pt II, v.iv 'Thou atomy, thou!'

Bannocking – a hiding, a beating for instruction
A bannock in Scotland and parts of England is a flat, round loaf or cake,
cooked on a girdle - best known these days is the Selkirk bannock, with currants in it.
I don't know if the verb has any connection with the cake -
I suppose beating down the dough would be 'bannocking'

Today's slang:

christened by a baker - freckled

To understand the clothing that a working class girl like Rebecca would normally wear:

Those of us following the story will find this most helpful,although I suspect that a girl from the lower classes would not be able to afford so many cotton garments. Cotton only became much cheaper a bit later in the 18th century as the spinning and weaving processes became more mechanised. The middle and especially the lower classes usually had woollen garments apart from those saved for Sunday church attendance. The stays and stomacher show what women had to contend with in those days, in addition to living in a society that was both patriarchal and hierarchical and governed by savage laws.

Those of us following the story will find this most helpful,although I suspect that a girl from the lower classes would not be able to afford so many cotton garments. Cotton only became much cheaper a bit later in the 18th century as the spinning and weaving processes became more mechanised. The middle and especially the lower classes usually had woollen garments apart from those saved for Sunday church attendance. The stays and stomacher show what women had to contend with in those days, in addition to living in a society that was both patriarchal and hierarchical and governed by savage laws.
But linen was used - as the video and PrPr's story say - for petticoats, aprons, caps.
Come to think of it, I use an apron just like the video says - to wipe my hands and to carry hot pots!

I suppose beating down the dough would be 'bannocking'
Bannock, verb and bannocking, gerund are old Kentish slang, probably Sexon or Frisian.
Come to think of it, I use an apron just like the video says - to wipe my hands and to carry hot pots!
I imagine it comes in handy when frying foods while naked. Protects from hot splatter.

Back
Top Bottom