Rebecca and The Bloody Codes

Go to CruxDreams.com
BTW, for Christmas Day. If you’re one of the hundreds of thousands (or maybe millions) of people attending a performance of George Frideric Handel’s Messiah this holiday season, you may find yourself rising to your feet at the opening sounds of the famed “Hallelujah” chorus. That kind of audience behavior is an outlier in the concert hall.

Remember how Sir Elliott stated as they entered the Ball that the music was by Handel, a favorite of George I and II.
Well, our George in the story is believed to be the originator of this tradition of standing.
View attachment 797257
King George II stood up during the chorus at the Messiah’s 1743 London premiere. Some believe the king was so moved by the music that he stood up to show his reverence. And, since it was considered required etiquette to stand when the king stood, the audience had to follow suit.
Although that story is not well-documented (unlike Rebecca), it rings true to George's character. Supposedly he later explained his action to a friend (actually a mistress). He said that he was struck by the phrase, "King of Kings." He was used to others standing for him as king and he thought that since Christ was king of kings, he, as a king should stand for him.
Sorry if I am disturbing the christmas mood, but that reminds me of the kind of jokes that all start or end with, "that is how it started..." and it underscores how much a title impresses people. Btw, PrPr, King of Kings sounds higher up the pecking order then Brother of the Quill.

Sorry if I am disturbing the christmas mood, but that reminds me of the kind of jokes that all start or end with, "that is how it started..." and it underscores how much a title impresses people. Btw, PrPr, King of Kings sounds higher up the pecking order then Brother of the Quill.
Indeed. Don't get me started!

Too late, you already did. The phrase is believed to have originated in the ancient Persian Empire. As they conquered new lands, they often left the king in place as a vassal of the Persians. Hence the Persian king, or "shah" was a king over kings. The Persians were friends of the Israelites, having freed them from the Babylonian captivity and encouraged them re-founding a state (under Persian dominance). Thereby, the Jews incorporated the phrase to describe the emerging prophesy of a Messiah. Thereby we circle back to the Hallelujah Chorus.

Indeed. Don't get me started!

Too late, you already did. The phrase is believed to have originated in the ancient Persian Empire. As they conquered new lands, they often left the king in place as a vassal of the Persians. Hence the Persian king, or "shah" was a king over kings. The Persians were friends of the Israelites, having freed them from the Babylonian captivity and encouraged them re-founding a state (under Persian dominance). Thereby, the Jews incorporated the phrase to describe the emerging prophesy of a Messiah. Thereby we circle back to the Hallelujah Chorus.
The alternative version is that George was not especially musical and thought the opening chord was the first chord played before the National Anthem starts and thus rose to his feet, everyone else followed suit and so a tradition was born.

The alternative version is that George was not especially musical and thought the opening chord was the first chord played before the National Anthem starts and thus rose to his feet, everyone else followed suit and so a tradition was born.

While I do like your version, unless protocol was very different in C18, this seems unlikely. George was then King, and so would have remained seated while his subjects stood for the National Anthem.

A most popular cold-weather beverage of the Time of Rebecca was a “Flip.” In fact Sir Elliott absolutely doted on it. Here is a recipe, in case you’d like to try:

“To make…Flip: - Put a quart of Ale on the fire to warm: - and beat up three or four Eggs with four ounces of moist Sugar*, a teaspoonful of grated Nutmeg or Ginger, and a quartern* of good old Rum or Brandy. When the Ale is near to boil, put it in one pitcher, and the Rum and Eggs, &c. into another; turn it from one pitcher to another till it is as smooth as cream.”

*Quartern – quarter of a pint, 4 ounces
* Moist Sugar – any sugar will do; raw would be closest to original

All that pouring cools the drink. Traditionally a flip-dog or flip-iron
bc10.jpg was heated red hot in the fire and plunged into the drink to reheat and give the dramatic effect of foaming over.
Untitled.jpg

Enjoy

While I do like your version, unless protocol was very different in C18, this seems unlikely. George was then King, and so would have remained seated while his subjects stood for the National Anthem.
It is not unusual for the monarch to stand for the National Anthem ,even though it lauds the king/queen it is still a National anthem.
There you are, Old Slave - Two Nines remembers those days of George II, you were a bit too young :p

A most popular cold-weather beverage of the Time of Rebecca was a “Flip.” In fact Sir Elliott absolutely doted on it. Here is a recipe, in case you’d like to try:

“To make…Flip: - Put a quart of Ale on the fire to warm: - and beat up three or four Eggs with four ounces of moist Sugar*, a teaspoonful of grated Nutmeg or Ginger, and a quartern* of good old Rum or Brandy. When the Ale is near to boil, put it in one pitcher, and the Rum and Eggs, &c. into another; turn it from one pitcher to another till it is as smooth as cream.”

*Quartern – quarter of a pint, 4 ounces
* Moist Sugar – any sugar will do; raw would be closest to original

All that pouring cools the drink. Traditionally a flip-dog or flip-iron
View attachment 802973 was heated red hot in the fire and plunged into the drink to reheat and give the dramatic effect of foaming over.
View attachment 802974

Enjoy
Not very different from egg-nog, which I still make sometimes -
that's made with eggs, sugar, spices and cream, then the liquor stirred in -
very good it is too!

Did the cup come early?!?!?!
Not very different from egg-nog, which I still make sometimes -
that's made with eggs, sugar, spices and cream, then the liquor stirred in -
very good it is too!
I suggest the reader make themself one, close their eyes and sip it while visualizing Rebecca being whipped at the cart's arse to the gallows!

I have just read Rebecca and The Bloody Codes by Praefectus Praetorio and I am totally gob-smacked. This book deserves far wider circulation than on CF. It reminded me of Nell in Bridewell with a touch of Fanny Hill. Extremely well researched and well-written. As I am from the London/Kent border I also enjoyed all of the geographical references. My heartfelt congratulations to PP.

Back
Top Bottom