Reconstruction Of A Woman's Crucifixion

Go to CruxDreams.com
Are you thinking of Gospel of Peter 39-41?

...they [the soldiers on guard] saw three men emerge from the tomb, two of them supporting the other, with a cross following behind them. The heads of the two reached up to the sky, but the head of the one they were leading went up above the sky. And they heard a voice from the skies, 'Have you preached to those who are asleep?' And a reply came from the cross, 'Yes.'

So I stand corrected, thanks. All the same, I think The Dream is the first extended utterance that's put in the 'mouth' of the cross.

Are you thinking of Gospel of Peter 39-41?

...they [the soldiers on guard] saw three men emerge from the tomb, two of them supporting the other, with a cross following behind them. The heads of the two reached up to the sky, but the head of the one they were leading went up above the sky. And they heard a voice from the skies, 'Have you preached to those who are asleep?' And a reply came from the cross, 'Yes.'

So I stand corrected, thanks. All the same, I think The Dream is the first extended utterance that's put in the 'mouth' of the cross.
I'll say what the cross says. :) Still, it was enough to trigger a minor scholarly debate on whether an emendation to 'crucified' was required.

Last edited:
There are precedents for personifying the cross, speaking of it as a person, in patristic literature,
though I'm not sure if there are any actually in the apocryphal gospels, but I believe the 8th century
Ruthwell Cross inscription(the early version of the Old English 'Dream of the Rood') is the earliest text
in which the cross actually speaks - and a very fine poem it is too, arguably the oldest surviving poem in English
(competing with Caedmon's Hymn, but the OE version of that is probably rather later)
http://www.apocalyptic-theories.com/literature/dor/oeodora1.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dream_of_the_Rood

That's the later, longer version of the poem. Unfortunately, the 'translation' link doesn't seem to work,
but if you Google 'Dream of the Rood translation' there are several to choose from.
Here's the Ruthwell Cross - not far from the Northern Forest,
the early version of the poem carved in runes up and down the edges:
ruthcross.jpg

After some time without posts, I would like to give my point here.

Sometimes, it is said that crucifixion would have been a male-only punishmwnt, while other sources state that women would not have been spared of crucifixion.

Thinking within the Roman mindset, I would say that women were without doubt less often crucified than men in ordinary settings without an rebellion or some kind of war. Women were looked upon as the weaker gender by the Romans and were far less often involved in crimes punished by crucifixion like trait or resistance to Roman power. I think that the Romans were as well more hesitating to crucify female slaves. But trait and challenging Roman power were certainly heinous enough for Romans not to make an example of the female felon. Children and youngsters were probably never crucified during ordinary times.

During rebellions and times of war, however, there were certainly no limits at all for using crucifixion. If the Imperium was truly endangered, everything was justified in the eyes of the Romans in the task region. In just conquered provinces, even more women might have been crucified than men, as the Romans thought that healthy men were good to sell as slaves and gladiators, except leading rebels.

Happy Easter, Alex

Sometimes, it is said that crucifixion would have been a male-only punishmwnt, while other sources state that women would not have been spared of crucifixion.

Thinking within the Roman mindset, I would say that women were without doubt less often crucified than men in ordinary settings without an rebellion or some kind of war. Women were looked upon as the weaker gender by the Romans and were far less often involved in crimes punished by crucifixion like trait or resistance to Roman power. I think that the Romans were as well more hesitating to crucify female slaves. But trait and challenging Roman power were certainly heinous enough for Romans not to make an example of the female felon. Children and youngsters were probably never crucified during ordinary times.

During rebellions and times of war, however, there were certainly no limits at all for using crucifixion. If the Imperium was truly endangered, everything was justified in the eyes of the Romans in the task region. In just conquered provinces, even more women might have been crucified than men, as the Romans thought that healthy men were good to sell as slaves and gladiators, except leading rebels.

Happy Easter, Alex
I remind on the
-6000 crucified slaves after spartacus rebellion, 71 bc,
-Titus fore jerusalem, dayly to 500 hungry jews crucifid. Man, woman and childs, 70 ad
-the crucifixion of the slaves from Pedanius Secundus 61 ad.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucius_Pedanius_Secundus

Last edited:

Happy Easter, Alex
You're probably right that many more men committed crimes that got them crucified,
but there certainly are cases where there's no real reason to doubt women were crucified -
the freedwoman named Ide crucified on the orders of Tiberius, and the Christian slavegirl Blandina
are a couple of credible examples (even if Blandina's passion was 'sexed up' by later hagiography)
And when the entire household of a disgraced man was executed, which happened a few times,
that would have included all the slaves, men, women and children - as did the mass crucifixions following rebellions.
And of course children became adults at puberty.

Madiosi, these were the classical outstanding settings where Romans did uphold their power with all means.

I wonder if women were among the Spartacus slave uprising.

Alex
We know not exactly over the roman male-female crucification statistic.
I guess, the distribution is similar how the present distribution of male-female violations of laws.
Except for the traffic violations through young attractive womens.
http://www.cruxforums.com/xf/threads/traffic-violation-saturday.6121/
OK?

We know not exactly over the roman male-female crucification statistic.
I guess, the distribution is similar how the present distribution of male-female violations of laws.
Except for the traffic violations through young attractive womens.
http://www.cruxforums.com/xf/threads/traffic-violation-saturday.6121/
OK?
Yes, young Roman women were notorious for
parking their sporty chariots outside fancy clothes shops
ignoring STATIO INTERDICTA notices,
even driving the wrong way up VIÆ VNICÆ -
the authorities had to institute on-the-spot roadside cruxifixions.

Yes, and she disregarded the day-drive-prohibition in the streets of rome.

Yes, and she disregarded the day-drive-prohibition in the streets of rome.

Ahhhh my Roman ancestors were as bad as I am ... must be something in the genes.:rolleyes:

And comes along a Consul, making a speech at Barb's cross :
"Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears!"
But to the Consul's anger, it will be Barb that lends their eyes.
More trouble for her!

See, it does run in the family ... born to be wild :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom