Request For Our French Members

Go to CruxDreams.com

Gibbs505

SERVORUM DOMITOR
I recently purchased a M1866 Chassepot Bayonet for the Chassepot rifle.
The bayonet may be about 150 years old.
It has writing in French on the spine, I would appreciate a translation.
Many thanks for your assistance,

Attachments

• _DSC0012.JPG
    _DSC0012.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 89
  • _DSC0013.JPG
    _DSC0013.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 83
  • _DSC0014.JPG
    _DSC0014.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 73
Really hard to read all of it. I think it's the name of the maker, might be Impériale de Chatellerault Arsenal, looking at that first word, and then there is a "C" and maybe a double "L" in the word after the "de". Hope that helps.

Really hard to read all of it. I think it's the name of the maker, might be Impériale de Chatellerault Arsenal, looking at that first word, and then there is a "C" and maybe a double "L" in the word after the "de". Hope that helps.
Most probably!
'Manufacture Impériale Chatellerault', but abbreviated.
Then followed by something difficult to discern, and a year of production : 186?

See also :

http://users.skynet.be/euro-swords/chatellerault.htm

Last edited:
Thank you all!
Yes it is had to read! That is why I thought that someone who is fluent in French could help!

I recently purchased a M1866 Chassepot Bayonet for the Chassepot rifle.
The bayonet may be about 150 years old.
It has writing in French on the spine, I would appreciate a translation.
Many thanks for your assistance,

Perhaps you could fill some black ink (water soluble, to to get rid of it afterwards) into the letters to make them to be read easier?

It seems that it's Henry II, King of France and husband of Catherine de Medicis who had given Chatellerault to the Scottish James Hamilton, regent of Scotland , to thank him for having arranged the wedding of Mary, Queen of Scotland with the Dauphin de France , the future François II ...
His son, the Earl of Arran, who promotes Protestantism. In 1597 and 1598, the reformed Assembly of France created the Edict of Nantes.
But it seems that this James Hamilton was many times changing between Catholics and Protestants, following his intérests ...
The commune derives its name from its founder, a Viscount named Airaud (Airaldus), who, in 952, decreed this hereditary property, and came to install his castle on these lands, Castrum Airaldi in Latin. The contraction of these two words, Castrum Airaldi, becomes Castel Airaud, then Châtel Airaud, then the current name of the city: Châtellerault.
We can notice that The English Black Prince was coming there (1356), for three days, into a beautiful castel called Chastel Heraud...
:very_hot:well, thanks for the researches, Messa !:D

Here is a photo of the Henry IV bridge, built in place of the ancient ford where the river Vienne could be passed and I think that there are the towers which were protected it before the bridge'erection ...

Attachments

• Chatellerault.jpg
    Chatellerault.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 30
The commune derives its name from its founder, a Viscount named Airaud (Airaldus), who, in 952, decreed this hereditary property, and came to install his castle on these lands, Castrum Airaldi in Latin.
Ah - the spelling of the estate in Scotland, Chatelherault,
must have been based on the belief it was 'herald's castle',
but that's a mistake, it seems.

Back
Top Bottom